Informing Students about their group

Informing Students about their group

by Inkeri Sundqvist -
Number of replies: 4

Hello, 

I have an open moodle-course. Basically anyone can start the course at any time. Since the course is open to all, I have hidden the course participant list. I'm using a group choice activity (max 10 members / group) and group mode on forums so that students would feel more safe. But, is there any way to automatically inform students their fellow group members in a way that she/he would still not be able to see members of the other groups? 

I was told that one solution would be to post the list of the group members in the group forum, but that should be done by hand and since there are huge amount of groups, that's not very tempting. 

Then I was told to use grouping not only on certain activities but throughout the whole course. Apparently students then would only see their own group members on the participant list. But, in my course students are members of two separate groups in different groupings and if I would merge these two groupings into one, students would have to choose in every forum which one of the groups their want to post. I tried this choosing thing once and let's say that I'm not going there any more... 

So is there any way (apart from those not-so-perfect-solutions described above) to tell the students the members of his/her own groups, but still hide the other course participants? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Inkeri Sundqvist

Re: Informing Students about their group

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

How about setting your course to separate groups (in the course settings) and not hiding the Participants page? Students would then only see others in their groups on the Participants page.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Inkeri Sundqvist -
Thanks for the answer! Yes, that's one possibility, but there's a problem that every student is a member in two separate groups. Now if I set the course to separate groups I think I should set up a grouping which includes all the groups of the course. Then students should choose which group they post on forums. That's very confusing for then and I have bad experiences about that. That's why I'm looking for a solution where I wouldn't have set the course to separate groups. Or did I misunderstood your sudgestion..?
In reply to Inkeri Sundqvist

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Can you explain why it's a problem that every student is a member of two separate groups?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Inkeri Sundqvist -
Hi Helen! The thing is, that I would like to be able to choose the right grouping in every activity. If I set the course to separate groups, the grouping is same throughout the whole course and I won't be able to choose the grouping in every forum. This leads to situation where students need to choose the right group themselves (see the pic attached). I have tried this once and it didn't go well: students posted on wrong forums and I got a massive amount of questions about unclear forums, even though there where good instructions on the forums. So that's why I'm looking for a solution where I could still be able to set the grouping in every activity.
Attachment separate_groups.PNG