Moodle as a curriculum mapping tool -How to ?

Moodle as a curriculum mapping tool -How to ?

by vinu cyrus -
Number of replies: 7
Can any one help me with directions as to how to use moodle as a curriculum mapping tool for our middle school?

Thank you

Vinu Cyrus smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to vinu cyrus

Re: Moodle as a curriculum mapping tool -How to ?

by Miles Berry -
This functionality is going to be important for the UK schools too, a number of elements in Becta's draft functional specification related closely to this:

"Curriculum mapping is the ability of the platform to be able to use the National Curriculum as a basis of search, navigation, assessment and learner tracking. This will include curriculum metadata (tagging, ingestion, creation and export) and navigation structures published by QCA and Becta. This will also include the ability to customise interfaces, learning design and provision of personalised learning experiences."

I'm not sure of any straightforward way to achieve this in Moodle as it stands at present, outside perhaps of the quiz module. The idea of attaching some sort of metadata tags to activities and resources would be one way to achieve much of this, perhaps via some folksonomy type interface (qv flickr, del.icio.us, technorati, elgg etc, etc). I wonder if anyone can give some indication as to whether this is on the agenda?
In reply to Miles Berry

by Leon Cych -
It would be interesting to find out wouldn't it? The problem as I see it is with the vocabularies associated with the National Curriculum - is that that whole "semantic" aspect is missing. And without going into triples etc it is a fact that the RDF model was abandoned for Curriculum Online as well.

Dynamic - community created resources and tagged as good models/ exemplars of actual, not notional, use linked to such an interface would be more efficient.

Let's take an actual example - for years the words Concrete Poetry loomed over my life in the Literacy Hour. Luckily I do have a very detailed understanding of the term yet I could never find anyone who could give me an adequate description or indeed an exemplar of use - now all I have to do is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_poetry

and I immediately found one exemplar here on google

http://www.schools.pinellas.k12.fl.us/educators/tec/pravda3/concrete.html

and through del.icio.us or technocrati I can discover an authoritative reference:

http://www.rediscov.com/sacknerarchives/

but I would need a process whereby I could mediate localised examples of work set against level descriptors and have them mediated as well. All that data or indeed metadata that is semantic and facilitated by a social tagging system is what is needed - it just is really...

Go to the National Curriculum in Action site and you won't find anything there... and on the QCA site a reference is buried in a PDF with a piece of waffle (sorry but it is) "experimenting with new poetic forms such as concrete poetry" which is misinformed smile

No contest really - there needs to be active, living, dynamic, semantic tags for how educators and pupils approach this stuff. It is way overdue...

Sorry rant over...

In reply to Leon Cych

by Ger Tielemans -
  • Every resource and module has a mod.html page where you fill the fields during creation. It must be very easy to extend these pages with fields for metadata.
  • Section zero could contain all the fields with the metadata on course level.
  • The combination of sections and outline function inside these sections could mirror the IMS/CP course tree structure
Leroy can add these fields to the backup routine he is creating for the IMS/CP format in 1.6: importing from an existing IMS/CP tree can work vise versa...
Mapping these course description(s) against a curriculum overview is not possible in Moodle: someone must write a kind of catalog-harvester for that:
  • If users place courses (with metadata like above) in the Moodle course category tree, this catalog mechanism must harvest the metadata from these courses.
  • In overview screens the catalog could present the results of this harvesting.
  • The new teacher plan module could also be a startingpoint for your wish..  
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Art Lader -
Ger,

Yor response was very helpful to me. Thanks.

-- Art

by Roland Gesthuizen -
I am fascinated by the applications of tagging with bloggers such as Livejournal, Flickr, del.icio.us etc. I discussed tagging in my blog. I wonder if Moodle could provide the audit tool that you are looking for if it had
  • an option include multiple keywords / tags in the course settings
  • a page that lists all the tags used on a moodle site
  • a page that lists the courses with a particular tags
You could then have a html map our your curriculum with pointers to these tags on the moodle website. The absence of any courses with a particular tag would thus imply a curriculum hole that needs filling.
In reply to Roland Gesthuizen

by Ger Tielemans -

The notes of 3 feb say that we will have tags almost everywhere in Moodle.

I wonder how we can survive this swamp of ever growing shared yellow tags smile

by Roland Gesthuizen -
Del.icio.us tag browser screengrabThere are some cool tools around to navigate tags. I discussed some of these in my blog at this page.
http://plakboek.livejournal.com/tag/tags

Its certainly worth exploring what can be done using some of these dynamic tag browsers although a plain old vanilla list of tags used is a good start. Here is one I made for moodle with Del.icio.us