Moodle for anonymous research study

Moodle for anonymous research study

by Stefan Hackel -
Number of replies: 3

Hello!

First of all, I can't say which Moodle version I am using because I have access to an already installed Moodle platform which is administrated by people from a different institution. If there is a way to find out, let me know ;)

Now to my question...I want to use Moodle for an anonymous research study where people will be answering some questions, then watch a video and answering some questions again. Obviously I need to get the answers in the question and in the video (with h5p) part. I know that I can see the answers in the video in the grading book and that the answers from the questions from the activity "Befragung" (in english maybe questioning) are accessible directly when I click on the activity.

Now my first thought was to use the guest access with a guest key, so it's anonymous and user doesn't have difficulties to login. Now I found out that the grades from guest aren't saved by the system. I read the workaround with an extra guest account but the problem there is that I have to create 100 accounts, when I have 100 persons in the study, and I must give away the username + password, so it's not anonymous anymore. I tried to use one account with 2 people at the same time which worked but I can only see the detailed answers from the last person who answered the questions in the video, so the answers from the other one is missing.

Are there any plugins or ideas how to reach my goal with Moodle?

Thanks for the help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefan Hackel

Re: Moodle for anonymous research study

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Stefan,

Firstly, please see the documentation Moodle version for how to find out your Moodle version if you are not an admin.

As for obtaining anonymous answers to questions, how about using the Feedback activity?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Stefan Hackel -
Hello Helen,

thanks for the response! It seems to me that the moodle admin hide the moodle doc link because in the footer on every page is nothing to see unless a dark grey bar.

The feedback activity is not available in my version but I have a replacement activity for it. For test purpose I created a local installation of moodle to see how the feedback activity works exactly but the problem would still be that user must be registered to take part of this activity and then it's not anonymous anymore.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Johanna Thuth -
I like so much this support! thank for your answer!