Slow Login On NTLM SSO Authentication

Slow Login On NTLM SSO Authentication

by solmaz naderi -
Number of replies: 5

Upgraded Moodle on Windows from version 3.1 to 3.5. LDAP Server is Microsoft Active Directory 2016. After enabling NTLM authentication (SSO), it will take roughly about 27-30 seconds for users to login. Steps taken so far are: Changed the LDAP Page Size to 1000 (Based on AD Settings); Changed the Password Hash to MD5. Any idea?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to solmaz naderi

Re: Slow Login On NTLM SSO Authentication

by solmaz naderi -

the following image is related to the login page:

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Are you saying the NTLM SSO was previously working on Moodle 3.1 without the delay?

30 seconds sounds like a timeout. How are you specifying the LDAP Host URL? If it is by name (not IP address) try an nslookup of the name on the Moodle server and see how long that takes. If this is slow it suggests a DNS configuration issue.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by solmaz naderi -
Hi Mr. Stringer
Thanks for your prompt response
There was delay on moodle 3.1 But That was about 7 seconds not more.
I specified LDAP Host URL by name and try nslookup on the moodle server but It doesn't take long.
our site is using by 3500 users and speeding up login is very important for us
any idea is appreciated
Solmaz

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Under Site administrationPluginsAuthenticationManage authentication in the list under Available authentication plugins you may have a plugin before LDAP server which isn't working, e.g. attempting database authentication to a server which doesn't exist which has to time out before the LDAP authentication is attempted. If so, try disabling the affected plugin.

Or, maybe you have an enrolment plugin enabled which isn't working. Check under Site administrationPluginsEnrolmentsManage enrol plugins and see if there's a non-standing plugin enabled. If so, try disabling this. Again this could be the External database plugin but perhaps the database cannot be reached.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by solmaz naderi -
Yesss!
I can't Thank you enough! I was in critical situation and you helped me!
The problem was exactly about Autoenrol plugin. By disabling the problem got solved.
Thank you