I can't edit .htaccess file using FileZilla

I can't edit .htaccess file using FileZilla

by Aleix Font -
Number of replies: 4

Hello, I'm Aleix Font a high school teacher from Ibiza. The fact is that I'm trying (and fighting) for update my Moodle platform to the last 3.7 version. 

The main problem so far is how can I edit the .htaccess file in order to increase the memory limit?

I think this is what I have to do because my server uses Apache 2

When I try to edit .htaccess file with FileZilla it doesn't open the file nor download it...

I attach two screenshots: the first one is the message I get when I'm trying to update to Moodle 3.7 and the second one of FileZilla software.

The language I use for my platform is catalan but I guess someone could understand what I have to fix.

Thank you in advance, I'm really annoyed about it...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aleix Font

Re: I can't edit .htaccess file using FileZilla

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

FileZilla problems are not moodle problems. smile

How much memory does your server have?  Moodle code already does try to allocate 128Megs more on some operations ... like upgrades.

However, did you: Select .htaccess, right-click and select View/Edit

You could download .htaccess file, save to a text file on local machine (htaccess.txt). Add your lines.   Upload the text file.  Remove the .htaccess file that is currently there.  Then rename your htaccess.txt file to .htaccess

If that still doesn't work for you on your server, suggest
ssh into server (terminal in Mac or Putty on Windows) where you should have an online text editor (hopefully something more 'user friendly' like nano) and edit the file on the server.

Also, suggest might be a good idea to go to Moodle Admin -> Server -> Environment check to see if there are things that you'd have to address before attempting upgrade to 3.7.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Aleix Font -
Hello Ken,

I finally did it! The problem was easier than I suspected. I had to restart the apache 2 web server in order to make effective the new php settings. Thank you very much for the feedback.

Aleix
In reply to Aleix Font

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Very Good!  Congrats!  Yes ... change to php does require restart of apache/web server services. smile

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Aleix Font

by IDS Logic -

As i can see the permissions in your file listing, you are having only read permissions. So you aren't able to edit that file. Right click on that file and give 775 permission and try. You can also try downloading that file and editing it on your local. Rename the .htaccess file on your server, and upload the edited file from your local machine.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)