Forum posts don't follow to the new group if user's group is changed

Forum posts don't follow to the new group if user's group is changed

by Mirjami Elg -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

we are using a Forum activity with separate groups.  The user has been a member in Group A and has started discussion threads in that group. However his  group needs to be changed to another group, Group B,  during the course.  When the group is changed he can see the posts from the members of his new group , Group B . The posts he made as a member of Group A are still visible only in Group A.  The posts can be moved to the new group by changing the group in posts.  I'm wondering  should or could  this be automatic?   

Thanks in advance!

Mirjami

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mirjami Elg

Re: Forum posts don't follow to the new group if user's group is changed

by C Behan -

I don't think it should be automatic. 

In reply to Mirjami Elg

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This is by design:

Just because you change the group of one user in a discussion, it does not mean that you have changed the group of all users.
Additionally you can have users in multiple concurrent groups.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrew Lyons

by Mirjami Elg -
Thank you for your reply!

I understand there can be different situations when this case happens. Anyway it's possible to manually (via Edit) move the discussion threads to the new group if needed.
In reply to Mirjami Elg

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
But if you move discussion threads, surely the people in the original group will no longer see them? Your discussions are going to get very disjointed!