Group Assignment Issue

Group Assignment Issue

by Lucien Stals -
Number of replies: 3

Hi There,

I'm using Moodle 3.5, and we have a funny issue using group assignment which I can't find any good explanation for when googling.

I have Groups which are in a Grouping, and the Grouping is set correctly on the Assignment.
The Assignment is set to "Students submit in groups = Yes", but "Require group to make submission = No".

Naturally, some students did not allocate themselves into groups (via the Group Self Selection module) and went ahead and submitted assignments while not in a group.

I can see where the settings permit this, but the real issue for us is that all students not in a group have become part of some "default group", and when one non group student submits, that submission is considered to be on behalf of the entire "default group". It also means that when that one non group paper gets marked, that grade gets applied to all non group students.

Have we done something wrong with our Moodle setup for it to be behaving like this? Or is this normal for Moodle?

I don't get the point of the "Require group to make submission" setting if it always ends up creating a mess with this "default group", so I can't help wondering if I'm missing something.

Cheers,

Lucien.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Lucien Stals

Re: Group Assignment Issue

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
This is the expected behaviour if you have Require group to make submission set to No - it is a group assignment so anyone who is not in a group will be added to a default group. If you want to ensure all students are in a group then set it to Yes and they will see a message that they need to be part of a group in order to submit - so perhaps they will go back and complete the Group Self selection . (Or you could make the group assignment conditional upon their completing the group self selection to force them to do this in advance) See the documentation Assignment settings and the section on Group submission settings
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Re: Group Assignment Issue

by Lucien Stals -
Thanks Mary.
Just curious, but do you know what the use case for having "Require group to make submission = No" would be?
It seems to me it would just cause problems when it comes to grading.

Cheers,

Lucien.
In reply to Lucien Stals

Re: Re: Re: Group Assignment Issue

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I can't really think of use cases other than if you had some late comers who weren't in groups, or some external students who shouldn't be in the official groups, but you wanted to give them a chance to submit too - but personally most of the time I'd expect everyone to be in a group specified by you or chosen by them