Calendar - get rid of icons in display, taking too much space

Re: Calendar - get rid of icons in display, taking too much space

by Jon Bolton -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

1. Eliminate the icons to get more space for the text of item...

.path-calendar .maincalendar .calendarmonth ul li .badge.badge-circle {display: none;}
.path-calendar .maincalendar .calendarmonth ul li .icon {display: none;}

2. Make the font size of text a bit smaller...

.path-calendar .maincalendar .calendarmonth ul li>a {font-size: 0.9em;}

3. Make the item text wrap in cell ala spreadsheet style...

Note that will make your rows different sizes...

.path-calendar .maincalendar .calendarmonth ul li>a {white-space: normal;}

Note that 2 and 3 are actually the same element, so combine them if you want both:

.path-calendar .maincalendar .calendarmonth ul li>a {font-size: 0.9em; white-space: normal;}
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Bolton

Re: Re: Calendar - get rid of icons in display, taking too much space

by Madhu Avasarala -
Jon,
Thank you, your suggestions work perfectly, exactly as desired smile. I ended up using the wrap and font reduction combo along with eliminating icons and now the calendar monthly view really looks usable. I will edit the Calendar Wiki page and add your really very helpful suggestions. Most grateful to you.
Just for the record, I added these statements as given by Jon, directly into the theme's Raw SCSS. In my case I am using the Boost theme and so this goes into the 2nd box. You can access it from site->appearance->themes->Boost (in my case).
In reply to Madhu Avasarala

Re: Re: Re: Calendar - get rid of icons in display, taking too much space

by Rick Jerz -

I decided upon the following, based upon Jon's suggestions.  I will attach the before and after.  Yes, the calendar gets longer, but it is readable.

Thanks Jon.

/* Improve the visibility of items in the Calendar. From Jon Bolton. */

.path-calendar .maincalendar .calendarmonth ul li .badge.badge-circle {display: none;}

.path-calendar .maincalendar .calendarmonth ul li .icon {margin: 0;}

.path-calendar .maincalendar .calendarmonth ul li>a {font-size: 0.9em; white-space: normal;}

Attachment 1 before.jpg
Attachment 2 after.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Re: Re: Re: Calendar - get rid of icons in display, taking too much space

by Jon Bolton -
Rick - just following up on your earlier comment about list view... I've put a link at the top of calendar/view.php which offers calendar view or upcoming events view... see https://www.smmc.org.uk/calendar/view.php?view=month as an example.
In reply to Jon Bolton

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Calendar - get rid of icons in display, taking too much space

by Rick Jerz -
Yes, Jon, this is in the right direction. I assume that this is part of a custom theme, right? Do you know if a feature request exists?

When I go to your list view, it appears to be for the entire course and calendar. Any filtering planned for this?
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Calendar - get rid of icons in display, taking too much space

by Jon Bolton -
It's just the Adaptable theme on that site but I edited the calendar/view.php file. Not ideal as it’s changing core code but I use a version tracked codebase so not a significant issue for me.

You're not logged in on my site, so you'll only see sitewide events. When you're logged in, there is the standard course events filter as per your screenshot 😊

I have had some work done on displaying events though, but I'm QAing it at the moment. It's a block and a filter, which will allow events from ANY course to be displayed anywhere in Moodle (although it will only show you events from courses that you're involved in). It's like the Upcoming Events block on steroids 😂. It will probably be released back to the Moodle community in due course.