ESSENTIAL | iOS home screen icon

ESSENTIAL | iOS home screen icon

by Ahmed Hammadi -
Number of replies: 5

I am looking for information on how to add a custom icon to my Moodle site when choosing "Add to Home Screen" option in iOS, any help will be appreciated

Moodle version: 3.5.3+ (Build: 20181128)

Custom theme based on Boost (2018051400) version: 1.17 (2019011657)

I have noticed an old article (which is currently closed) mentioning there was an issue but is now fixed however there is no instruction on how to actually add the icon

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=322555

(Edited by Mary Evans - original submission Monday, 3 June 2019, 3:06 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ahmed Hammadi

Re: iOS home screen icon

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Can you explain what you mean by adding an Icon to the Home Screen? If you mean the Front page then that’s easy. Try following the instructions in the link below.
be sure to read other tips on that page too.
Hope it helps?
This other link may also help too...
Cheers
Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Re: iOS home screen icon

by Ahmed Hammadi -

Thanks Mary for your reply,

In iOS device like iPhone and iPad (and I think android devices?) you have the option to add an icon to a website (in this case a Moodle site) to the home screen of the device for easy access.

As you can see from the screenshot currently the icon automatically selected is the website home page, however, you can setup an icon to be selected to make it look more professional

According to this GitHub link posted by Gareth J Barnard -, this functionality was broken but got fixed in v2.9.1.3, 

https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/commit/c411049280744bb2fe5496e4e28360662621620a

New in 2.9.1.3
==============
- FIX: Issue #572: iOS home screen icons broken.

It supposes to be under (Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Essential > Header) but I can't find it anywhere

add-to-home

Hope the above helps, thanks again

Re: Re: Re: iOS home screen icon

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I am confused, I do not see why you are expecting your custom theme to have this IOS Icon setting given that you are using a custom theme based on Boost theme, and the setting you are talking about is in the Essential 2.5 version which has always been a child theme of Bootstrapbase theme. So technically speaking your theme is not compatible with Essential theme.

Mary

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
"Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Essential > Header" is within Moodle with the Essential theme installed whereby an icon can be specified which is then linked to on the web page markup that I believe facilitates easy addition of that icon as a link when you visit your Moodle site in a browser such as Safari.
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Ahmed Hammadi -
Thanks Mary, my expectation was this feature should be a site-wide and not specific to a theme hence my question if we can the same functionality without using the Essential theme.

Gareth, we use a custom theme with the organisation branding, the theme is based on Boost.

I have figured out how to do this within the site no matter what theme is used by adding the HTML code that controls it to the site header (Site administration > Appearance > Additional HTML)

In the 'Within HEAD' text box I have added the following code:

<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="link/to/image/logo.png">