Interactive speech for dummies...

Interactive speech for dummies...

by Tom Connolly -
Number of replies: 5

I started to do some research online about having MOODLE do interactive speech (maybe this is included in artificial intelligence?) and quickly got in over my head.  What I am hoping to do is to make simple conversations for beginning ESL students that let the student talk to the computer and the computer will respond.  For example:

Computer: How are you this morning?

Student: Yes

Computer: I'm sorry.  That is not the right response.  Please try again.  How are you this morning?

"Yes" is the wrong response.  I want the computer to be able to recognize the response and provide appropriate feedback. 

1. Is this possible within MOODLE?

2.  If so, can you give me some search words to use to help me learn about this?  And maybe a brief overview (a few sentences) so that I can more easily and quickly understand what I am reading.

TIA

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tom Connolly

Re: Interactive speech for dummies...

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Tom, I am pretty sure there is nothing quite like that right now. I am actually working on some auto graded speaking questions, that are not quite this. But a bit related.

Anyway I think its possible and I guess someone will build it soon. It might be you! In this case I think you would need to engineer scenarios where the list of possible correct responses was quite limited. So it would help to have a number of the conversations you envisage building all sketched out in advance.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Justin Hunt

Re: Re: Interactive speech for dummies...

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Justin can you put a link in to the demo of your auto graded speaking thing (Read Aloud?). Although it is not exactly what Tom is looking for, it struck me as one step removed from magic and will probably be of interest to him.
In reply to Marcus Green

Re: Re: Re: Interactive speech for dummies...

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Sure. Good thinking.

This is an autograded quiz consisting of 2 short answer and a long answer speaking question.
https://demo.poodll.com/mod/quiz/view.php?id=395
(it's actually not a great example. But it is an example.)

This is an autograded "Read Aloud" activity. This is not quite instantaneous. After reading you might need to refresh the page a few times before the result shows up.
https://demo.poodll.com/mod/readaloud/view.php?id=417
In reply to Tom Connolly

by ben reynolds -
I think this is basically a spoken version of ELIZA, one of the first "therapist" games from the 70s.
Eliza: How are you feeling?
User: I am feeling fine and dandy!
Eliza: Why do you say that you are feeling fine and dandy?
and so forth. Eliza picks up a grammatical chunk of the User's sentence and parrots it back, just like a therapist smile But, Eliza isn't designed to correct speech (or wasn't, when I played in 1973; who knows what has happened since).
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tom Connolly

by Maxime Taisne -
Hi Tom,
So far, there is no AI in Moodle but it is technically possible to integrate one through Moodle web services or plug-in development.
But you still need 'some' development resources and the AI engine. There should be some open source projects on GitHub or somewhere else.
Good luck with that!