Preventing AVI videos from being displayed automatically

Preventing AVI videos from being displayed automatically

per Cee Kay,
Number of replies: 4
I wanted to add a Moodle-website with links to different video files for different connection speeds. But when I'm linking to an AVI file Moodle forces the display of this video within the same website.

Is there a possibilty to prevent it from doing so and give only a link to a video-file stored in the system?

I don't want to use the "link to file"-function for the different-sized videos for the sake of a clearer structure in the course-view window.

Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cee Kay

Re: Preventing AVI videos from being displayed automatically

per Samuli Karevaara,
One way is to turn off the multimedia filter, but this requires admin rights and turns the auto-link off for everybody.

Another option is to wrap the link around <nolink> -tag, so it's not automatically converted to an object.
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

per Jason Nuyens,
Hmm, I'm having the same issue and cannot disable the multimedia filter because I need it in other places.  However, the <nolink> tag gets converted to to a "span class='nolink'" tag once I save. 

Is this the only way to halt loading a particular multimedia instance?  How do I save the nolink tag without it converting the code?
In reply to Jason Nuyens

per Rob Johnson,
Try using the forcedownload parameter.  I have used this with mp3's successfully.  After you choose the file to link to, add "?forcedownload=1" to the end of the link.  It would look something like:

http://yoursite.com/file.php/2/filename.avi?forcedownload=1

This parameter can be very handy.  Good luck.
In reply to Rob Johnson

per Jason Nuyens,
This one worked.  Thanks a lot Rob!  That worked like a charm sorire.