Hiding blocks on dashboard not working

Re: Re: Hiding blocks on dashboard not working

by Franky Just -
Number of replies: 0
Hi Joost (and Mary),

Thx for reply. I've reread the documentation more carefully, and tested different settings. So far I can judge now there are no bugs really. But here is where the misunderstanding is coming in:

to avoid that students can place e.g. the block Online users on their Startpage, an admin has to uncheck the capability 'block/online_users(my)addinstance' under the role of Authenticated user. This is also stated in the MDL-documentation. When you do this under the role of Student, there seems no effect at all. So it seems that this capability under the Student role is 'superfluous'. I've checked this also for the role of a Teacher, the same happens. Checking here the capability 'block/online_users(my)addinstance' gives the teacher no option to place this block on his/her Startpage. Only an admin has a remaining right to place it on his/her Startpage.

It seems that in Moodle under every role all capabilities are listed with an option to check/uncheck, regardless of it does have any effect. Because the ACL within Moodle is IMO difficult to set up comparing with many CMS's, it would be handy if it would be totally clear what the effect will be of (un)checking ACL-settings.

Franky