Why I won't pay annually for a VPS in the future

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why I won't pay annually for a VPS in the future

by James Steerpike -
Number of replies: 4
Right. I have password reset emails working from my droplet.
I have a yandex.com mail account and I have used their domain service to send messages ending with my domain name. The setup of the email points to the yandex smtp server but the smtp username is on my domain. Presumably the sender and domain match so not marked as spam.
Should this be a new thread?
Don't know much about Exim but using an external service should be less trouble.
Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to James Steerpike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why I won't pay annually for a VPS in the future

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers
As far as I understand it, if you haven't already done so, you may need to update the SPF record on your DNS server account to include the yandex email server. So when an email server gets an email claiming it's from your domain & it checks your DNS SPF record, it gets the yandex mail server included as one of the accepted domains. At least that's how I think it works. Does anyone know more about this?
In reply to Matt Bury

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why I won't pay annually for a VPS in the future

by James Steerpike -
Yes, did that. I will write up a better explanation later today.
Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to James Steerpike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why I won't pay annually for a VPS in the future

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

It seems that every year or so, sending emails from your own server gets more difficult. Setting up DKIM (digitally signing your emails) on your server now seems to be necessary to not get flagged as spam by most of the big email services. And the implementations are getting stricter too.

In reply to Matt Bury

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why I won't pay annually for a VPS in the future

by James Steerpike -
I put a new thread up on installation for the cname change.