Course Topics Not Displaying in NavDrawer

Course Topics Not Displaying in NavDrawer

by Abe Ezrachi -
Number of replies: 10

Hi,

For some reason my course topics are not displaying in the NavDrawer. Couldn't find any documentation on how to activate this. Looked through the "Appearance" Tab under Site Admin as well.

Using Moodle 3.6

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abe Ezrachi

Re: Course Topics Not Displaying in NavDrawer

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Are you enrolled in the actual course where you don't see the topics? As admin you can access courses without being enrolled. Alternatively, if your course uses the single activity course format you won't see the topic sections as there is only one activity.
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Re: Course Topics Not Displaying in NavDrawer

by Abe Ezrachi -
Hi Mary,
  Thanks for the response
Yes I am enrolled in the course. I am accessing the course with the role of a student and have enrolled the admin in the course.

I am using "Topics" format as well. See attachment. Any other ideas?
In reply to Abe Ezrachi

Re: Re: Re: Course Topics Not Displaying in NavDrawer

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
There is a setting in Collapsed Topics, I forget exactly which one, that does not show topics in the Nav Drawer when they are shown in the center. Then, "targeting" a specific topic will show all topics in the Nav Drawer.

This is actually a "feature" of Collapsed Topics, and one that I especially like. I have never seen a reason to show all the topics in the Nav Drawer when they are all showing right in the middle of the screen.

So, this is what might be happening to you. Switch from Collapsed Topics to "Topics" and see what happens.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Re: Re: Re: Course Topics Not Displaying in NavDrawer

by Abe Ezrachi -
Thanks, but I am not using Collapsed Topics. I am using the standard "Topics" layout.
In reply to Abe Ezrachi

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Course Topics Not Displaying in NavDrawer

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Oops, sorry about that.
In reply to Abe Ezrachi

by Hartmut Scherer -
Looking at your screenshot, it seems you were on the Dashboard, not a course. You have to click on one of the courses listed under "My Courses" to see the topics of a course.
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Abe Ezrachi -
Hi Hartmut,
I was actually in the course. Sorry for the confusion, my cursor was over the dashboard link and the screenshot doesn't capture the cursor.
In reply to Abe Ezrachi

by Rajneel Totaram -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Check to see if you have the "Always link course sections" enabled in the Site Administration > Appearance tab.
I tested on Moodle v3.4 and the "Always link course sections" controls whether or not the section heading are displayed in the Nav drawer.

Search for "linkcoursesections" if the Settings page may have changed in v3.6.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rajneel Totaram

by Hartmut Scherer -
Just to follow up on the previous post. In Moodle 3.6.1, the "Always link course sections" is still controlled in Site Administration > Appearance > Navigation. The default setting is "yes."
In reply to Rajneel Totaram

by Abe Ezrachi -
Well, thanks Rajneel. This was the solution.

Thanks!