Font used in Forum emails

Font used in Forum emails

by Mia Musolino -
Number of replies: 8

I want to change the font used in the forum emails -- it's always Times New Roman 12 no matter what is set in the forum post HTML editor. This question has been asked on several other forums here but has never been answered that I can find. Is it a theme issue? I'm using Moodle 3.6.3 with the More theme.

Thanks,

Mia

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mia Musolino

Re: Font used in Forum emails

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mia,

Im not sure but may depend on the Text Editor you choose to use. I like TinyMCE as I find it one of the best Editors, but unfortunately cannot be updated. I absolutely loath the default editor chosen by Moodle..so much so I forgot it’s name!

I think you can add CSS to your theme which will change the font in the editor...but I need to check this out as I may well be wrong!

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Re: Font used in Forum emails

by Mia Musolino -
Thanks -- I hate Atto also and use TinyMCE. I tried both editors and it makes not difference, though, unfortunately.
In reply to Mia Musolino

Re: Font used in Forum emails

by David Scotson -
Hi Mia,

The styling of the emails is necessarily a completely seperate thing from the rest of the theme, as they are displayed in two different contexts, and styling emails is notoriously tricky for various reasons.

Mostly Moodle leaves the emails alone, but there is a template in lib/templates/email_html.mustache that a theme developer could override in a theme to change the font styling for the whole email. However, I'd proceed with caution, for example putting too much styling in here can get your emails blacklisted as spam, or render them unreadable in various different email clients unless you pay attention to a lot of obscure rules. Web design for emails is about 10 years behind the rest of the web and stuff designers take for granted may not be available or may break things.

In reply to David Scotson

Re: Re: Font used in Forum emails

by Mia Musolino -
Thanks, yes I have been doing a bit of formatting on some emails that mostly just go out internally so spam filters are not an issue. All I want to do is make the font something sans serif instead of times roman. Everything else can stay the same. Thanks for your help, though. I'll see what's in that file that you mention.
In reply to Mia Musolino

Re: Re: Re: Font used in Forum emails

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Have you tried adding CSS to your theme’s settings page, that’s assuming you have Admin access to them?
For example: 
body { font-family: ‘Trebuchet MS’ , sans-serif; }
Hope this helps?
Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Re: Re: Re: Font used in Forum emails

by Mia Musolino -
Well there is already these statements for body and they aren't having an effect. this is a pervasive thing because the emails I get from these forums are also serif fonts.
body {
margin: 0;
font-family: "Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;
font-size: 14px;
line-height: 20px;
color: #333;
background-color: #fff;
}