Edit email sent to participants when registering first time users

Edit email sent to participants when registering first time users

by Joseph Carrello -
Number of replies: 1

Hi everyone,

I am using Moodle as part of a research project, where we are comparing outcomes from people who do a course online versus face-to-face.

When registering users for the first time, an email is sent to them providing information re a username and password so they can complete registration and start the course. This is an example:

Hi 2 2,

A new account has been created for you at 'My new Moodle site'
and you have been issued with a new temporary password.

Your current login information is now:
  username: 2
  password: 
            (you will have to change your password
              when you login for the first time)

In most mail programs, this should appear as a blue link
which you can just click on.  If that doesn't work,
then cut and paste the address into the address
line at the top of your web browser window.

Cheers from the 'My new Moodle site' administrator,

Admin User

Has anybody been able to edit this email? I wish to change it somewhat to include information about the research project so participants don't ignore the email (there is no identifying information that this is part of our research project)

Many thanks,

Joe

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Carrello

Re: Edit email sent to participants when registering first time users

by Mayank Tyagi -
Hey Joe,

You can easily change this email. Actually, the text used in the email comes from the lang file of Moodle (yourmoodle/lang/en/moodle.php). You can change the text here and it will appear in your email. Open the lang file and search for "newusernewpasswordtext" . Change the text for this string.
If you directly want to add your own text, search for moodlelib.php (yourmoodle/lib/moodlelib). In this file search search for function "setnew_password_and_mail" . Here you will find the variable $message. Assign your text to this variable.

Note: Any change in the core is not a good practice.

Regards
Mayank