Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing

by Fernando Acedo -
Number of replies: 60
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

We released Adaptable version 2.0 BETA available for downloading in the Moodle plugins directory:

https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_adaptable

This version is based in Boost and therefore in Bootstrap 4 and compatible with moodle 3.7 and higher. Part of the code has been re-writed and we added a few new features too.

Feel free to test it in your sandbox and report any bugs or issues you can find. We'll be glad to hear your suggestions as well.
We hope to release the stable version in the forthcoming days

This is a BETA version and compatible with moodle 3.7 ONLY

For a version compatible with moodle 3.6 or previous download version 1.8.1

For a version compatible with moodle 3.4 or previous download version 1.7.3

For a version compatible with deprecated moodle versions (3.1 or previous) download version 1.3.4 (NOT supported)

Important! Use this thread for Adaptable 2.0 Beta version ONLY. DO NOT ASK for support of other versions. Thank you.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Fernando Acedo

Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing

by Larry Elchuck -
I am looking at Adaptable for 3.7 to replace the old Aardvark theme that I used in. Moodle 3.4. Adjusting the Site / Course title font size to 24 px, I can get a 45-character long Site title to fit the title area ok.

But when it comes to course titles, it truncates after about 25 characters (eg. "Clinical Assessment 3 - Class of 2019" becomes "Clinical Assessment ..." ).

Is there a way to resolve this?

BTW, this was the only change to the default settings that I made.
In reply to Larry Elchuck

Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing

by Larry Elchuck -
Resolved ... A non-issue ..After doing a bit of digging, I found that the coursetitlemaxwidth could be modified in the Header section!!
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Iren Siamo -
Hi Fernando, thank you for this great theme.
Is there a way to move the navigation blocks to the left side again? We had them there, but with the newest update they moved to the right and the setting doesn't seem to work (it is set to 'left', but blocks are on the right - in this theme only).
In reply to Iren Siamo

by Fernando Acedo -
Thank you for reporting this issue. We can replicate it and we are working to fix it

by Carlos Contreras -
Hi,

After install the Adaptable Beta 2.0 with moodle 3.7 versión the "Dropdown" buttons has stopped working and do not display the options.

any ideas?

Thanks.
In reply to Carlos Contreras

by Iren Siamo -

Same here. The Edit buttons on all pages don't work.

Additionally, 'My Courses' link above in the dropdown menu doesn't work on mobile devices.

by Niall Sheehan -
We are seeing the same issue. When editing is turned on for a course and we select and dropdown menu it fails to open. If we switch to the Boost theme the dropdown menus work as expected. Sort of a big issue. I also noticed under Edit Profile > Prefered Theme, this shows Adaptable twice, one sort of works (dropdowns while editing do not), the other barely works (many missing elements). 

After further testing, if we add adaptable, boost, clean to the Theme List users can select, adaptable is listed 3 times, boost and clean are not shown in the list. If we leave this box empty, all valid themes are listed as expected.

Dropdown on the Dashboard page also do not work. Disappointing.

Please advise.
In reply to Niall Sheehan

Re: Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing

by Fernando Acedo -
This looks a issue in your installation. I installed personally more than 15 times Adaptable in the last weeks using moodle 3.7 and never face this issue. At least the three themes installed (Adaptable, Boost and Classic) are displayed correctly.

BTW, remember that it is a BETA version that we published for public testing and feedback. And all of them are welcome.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing

by Niall Sheehan -
Sorry, that's not an answer. We have 5 sites all with the same problem. As this is the number 1 theme for Moodle, we would hope that you wouldn't simply dismiss bugs reported. Obviously you have missed something in testing. This ONLY happens with Adaptable. Boost and Clean work as expected.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing

by Fernando Acedo -
The issue you reported can't be replicated after many installations in several sites and servers.

And I repeat, at first sight it looks an issue in your site. So, in order to find where is the issue can you provide more information? What Moodle version (including the date) are you using? Can you explain how do you install moodle and Adaptable?

And believe me, the installation process is probably the most tested part because it is performed at least once in each test site. And personally I test the moodle installation during the QA Testing and Adaptable was tested each time I installed moodle. So it means about 10-12 times more (moodle 3.7 had a bug in the installation process when tested and the test script was repeated several times)

by Carlos Contreras -

The moodle version is 3.7+ (20190524). The Adaptable versión is  2019051701

I had problems updating moodle because the theme I used was "Adaptable" and "bootstrapbase" was discontinued. I had to install the Beta version of Adaptable since I had no choice but to solve the problems of compatibility with version 3.7. Currently I have "Adaptable" only in one of the courses for tests and the rest of the site with the theme "Classic" or "Boost" that do not give any problem. 

I attached a capture of the appearance of the drop-down and the header of the blocks that is also changed from how it came before. It is small and adjusted to the right of the upper part of the block

If you want I can provide you a user by private message so you can check the operation.

Thanks

Attachment Captura.PNG

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing

by Fernando Acedo -
The size and position of the block header settings are correct. The colour depends of blockheaderbackgroundcolor variable. Find this setting to verify the colour set.

Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing - Dropdowns don't work

by Niall Sheehan -

Did a little more research on the issue this morning. Verified that all plugins were up to date, two needed updates, no change to the dropdown behaviour. So next I compared the dropdowns on a site with Adaptable vs one with Boost. On the moodle site with Boost when you select a dropdown you see the DIV with the class dropdown change to include SHOW, the A HREF for the EDIT button changed aria-expanded to TRUE, and the DIV containing the Menu items also changes to DROPDOWN SHOW. By making these changes manually to the page with in devtools, I can force the menu to show up.

Moodle is 3.7, Adaptable it 2.0. 

I am currently uninstalling plugins to see if one of these may be causing the conflict.

I am also doing a clean 3.7 install with Adaptable 2.0, then installing plugins and testing after each install.

FWIW I also noticed that the button to turn editing on/off at the course level is not displayed at the top of the course page, there is a setting gear/icon, which has an option to turn editing on/off, the button is better than repeating the default Course menu as a dropdown.

Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing - Dropdowns don't work

by Niall Sheehan -
Completed a CLEAN install of Moodle 3.7+ with Adaptable 2.0, nothing else is installed and the issue IS REPRODUCED.
This was installed locally on an XAMPP web server, PHP version 7.3.3. (PHP on the production servers is 7.1.29)

On all sites we are seeing:
[Violation] Forced reflow while executing JavaScript took 51ms
jquery-3.2.1.min.js:1 [Violation] Added non-passive event listener to a scroll-blocking 'mousewheel' event. Consider marking event handler as 'passive' to make the page more responsive. See https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5745543795965952
add @ jquery-3.2.1.min.js:1
(anonymous) @ jquery-3.2.1.min.js:1
each @ jquery-3.2.1.min.js:1
ya @ jquery-3.2.1.min.js:1
on @ jquery-3.2.1.min.js:1
(anonymous) @ first.js:386
g @ first.js:386
init @ first.js:386
(anonymous) @ view.php?id=63:3411
execCb @ require.min.js:1
check @ require.min.js:1
enable @ require.min.js:1
init @ require.min.js:1
(anonymous) @ require.min.js:1
jquery-3.2.1.min.js:1 [Violation] Added non-passive event listener to a scroll-blocking 'mousewheel' event. Consider marking event handler as 'passive' to make the page more responsive. See https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5745543795965952

Uncaught Error: No define call for theme_boost/bootstrap
http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#nodefine
at makeError (require.min.js:1)
at Object.completeLoad (require.min.js:1)
at HTMLScriptElement.onScriptLoad (require.min.js:1)

Don't know what else I can do to demonstrate that there is an issue with Adaptable 2.0 and Moodle 3.7.

Shown above, the only extra plugin is Adaptable.

NEW: Have also noticed that the "Adaptable" save bar appears when no changes have been made, and does not go away when save is clicked.
For example the page Themes > Adaptable > Custom CSS/JS

NEW: Sticky Nav Bar DOES NOT WORK.

Capture of what we are seeing:

Re: Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing - Dropdowns don't work

by Niall Sheehan -
Sorry ran out of editing time to fix the URL for the video.
Video:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing - Dropdowns don't work

by Niall Sheehan -
Also please test the following.
  1. Go to Site Administration > Appearance > Theme settings.
  2. Add adaptable, boost, clean to selectable themes list.

3. Make sure Allow User themes is set to Yes
  4. Go to user preferences, edit profile and click the Select Theme Drop down. We see this:
  5. Go back to Theme settings and clear the list entered in step 2, save
  6. Go back to user preferences, edit profile, and click the Preferred Theme Drop down, the list is displayed correctly

There are many parts of Adaptable 2.0 that are not working as expected. This version of Moodle was downloaded today (Latest Build), as was the Adaptable theme. Nothing else is installed. We are seeing the same bugs on the live servers.

Turned on Debugging, seeing this on the Home page.
Class 'course_in_list' has been renamed for the autoloader and is now deprecated. Please use 'core_course_list_element' instead.
  • line 122 of \lib\classes\component.php: call to debugging()
  • line ? of unknownfile: call to core_component::classloader()
  • line 101 of \theme\adaptable\classes\output\core\course_renderer.php: call to spl_autoload_call()
  • line 1318 of \course\renderer.php: call to theme_adaptable\output\core\course_renderer->coursecat_coursebox()
  • line 401 of \theme\adaptable\classes\output\core\course_renderer.php: call to core_course_renderer->coursecat_courses()
  • line 2454 of \course\renderer.php: call to theme_adaptable\output\core\course_renderer->frontpage_my_courses()
  • line 133 of \index.php: call to core_course_renderer->frontpage()

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing - Dropdowns don't work

by Fernando Acedo -
Please, can you set Adaptable as a default theme and then add only boost, classic to the list?

Then try again.

Change the list to boost, clean and try again.

The issue is fixed in Adaptable but looks like the issue is located in Classic as well. Anyway, do not add Adaptable (or the default theme) to the list because will be duplicated.

by Fernando Acedo -
Thank you for reporting this issue. We are already aware of it and working to fix it soon

by Larry Elchuck -
It appears that it works ok in Safari (for me at least) but not in other browsers on the Mac.

by Andrian Hartanto -
Happened to me too. It also shows this error on the console:
Uncaught Error: No define call for theme_boost/bootstrap
http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#nodefine
at makeError (require.min.js:1)
at Object.completeLoad (require.min.js:1)
at HTMLScriptElement.onScriptLoad (require.min.js:1)

What I did to solve it was to go to these 2 files:
adaptable/amd/build/savebutton.min.js
adaptable/amd/build/bsoptions.min.js

You'll see define(["jquery","theme_boost/bootstrap","core/log"]
Just change the "theme_boost/bootstrap" to "theme_boost/loader"

Save the files, go to moodle, purge all cache, and reload the page. The error should be gone and the dropdown should be working!
In reply to Andrian Hartanto

by Niall Sheehan -
THANK YOU!!!

This does fix the Adaptable bug regarding the drop down menus.
It does NOT fix the bug with the Prefered Themes drop down when you are not using the default.
It does not fix the broken "sticky menu".
In reply to Andrian Hartanto

by O Book -
Thank you so much Andrian Hartanto,

This fix is perfect. Menus drop down run perfectly after changed savebutton.min.js , bsoptions.min.js and clean all caches !

Regards

by Web Master -

in this way...

when i try add questions to exam, the button doesnt work...

add "#" to a URL and no more

i have adaptable 2.0 and moodle 3.7

sorry for my english... i dont speak.. or write very good

by Moja Edukacja -
Moodle Moodle 3.7+ (Build: 20190524)
Adaptable -> 20190522

- blocks only on right side
- blocks transparent background (settings not working for it)
- dropdown menu not working
- user profile menu (top right) - awesome icons color not match with text eg. I want white icons and white text on top header but after dropdown user menu (white background) we cant see icons and the text (links) are white. Hard to explain smile In other words look at screen.
menu

- many text boxes are too short eg. search in administration
- progress bar in translation to short

..To be continued

In reply to Moja Edukacja

by Fernando Acedo -
Please, can you provide more information about:

A short explanation of each issue will help a lot. Thanks

by Moja Edukacja -
after update to: Adaptable 2019052200 on Chrome
+ dropdown now works

PS. Sorry for only "polish" screens smile

eg Admin block with transparent background looks like this
admin block
but in settings we have no transparent at all

before it was wider

Re: Re: Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing

by Fernando Acedo -
We are actually working in the blocks re-styling because they have several changes from previous versions. Once finished we'll publish a new release for testing.

by Campus DNI School -
Waiting anxiously. Do you intend to publish a second Beta?
Thank you for the great work. Could I help reviewing the code?
In reply to Campus DNI School

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing

by Fernando Acedo -
The repository for version 2.0 is located in https://gitlab.com/3bits/moodle-theme_adaptable2

We'll move it to Bitbucket when stable. I think we can have another Beta tomorrow and a RC version next Monday

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing

by Moja Edukacja -
Update today from git.
Now theme looks even nicer. Thank you. Menu and icons looks great.

From my list of reported problems, only the sticky menu bar remains and some text boxes/progress bar are displayed too tightly

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing

by Moja Edukacja -
Now second update to version: 2019060401

When selected header style: header2 we have problems as previous with colors for awesome icons in top right user menu and the top menu place in center even when logo hides on course page.

bars (fa-bars) not displayed in menu after changing to fa-bars (Links menu icon)

today morning code was something like that:
<a class="nav-link" href="javascript:void(0)" id="openoverlaymenu">
        <i class="fa fa-bars fa-lg"></i><span class="linksdesc"></span>
 </a>

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adaptable 2.0 BETA available for testing

by Fernando Acedo -
We're actually working in the header and especially in the menu. The header is the most complex element of Adaptable so it could take a bit to fix all the issues.

by Don Schwartz -
I just wanted to thank you for your efforts. This is voluntary work you do and from experience, I know that it is sometimes incredibly difficult to port a dependent product to what is essentially a new platform.

I'm just appreciative that the Adaptable team is trying, instead of abandoning the user base like others are doing.

"Patience is a virtue, Grasshopper"
heart
In reply to Don Schwartz

by Fernando Acedo -
Thanks Dan for your words and support.

Move Adaptable to BS4 is not an easy task but I think will be finished soon and successfully.

Part of the code (actually more 20.000 lines) has been rewritten and adapted to BS4 layout and styles. But personally I'm glad of the result and glad to keep Adaptable alive for future moodle versions.

by Frank Burger -
I'd like to second Don's comment thanking the Adaptable team for all their hard work. This is certainly a major effort, and of enormous value to many users.
Is there a target date for a production release of Adaptable 2.0? Not pushing, just planning.

In other news...
This is probably my fault, since I'm relatively new to the admin side of Moodle, but when I upgraded to 3.7, it was not clear to me that the 2.0 version of Adaptable was still in Beta. The big red banner above is pretty plain, but only if you find this page. Long story short, I switched our site to Moove temporarily, but am itching to get it back onto Adaptable.
In reply to Frank Burger

by Jez H -

Hi Frank,

If you pull the latest version from our Git repo that banner should have been removed:

https://gitlab.com/3bits/moodle-theme_adaptable2

Be aware that is still in development and not stable.

As for a stable release, we would hope to have one available in the next couple of weeks.

In reply to Jez H

by Vitor Fonseca -

Great work and effort!

I had the same issues, uploaded the latest branch and the dropdowns seems to be working now!!

In the frontpage the blocks section is duplicated. I have a blocks section on the right (and that's ok), but the same blocks section appears in the bottom...

this is the relevant source code:

<aside id="block-region-side-post" class="col-3 d-none d-md-block  block-region yui3-dd-drop" data-blockregion="side-post" data-droptarget="1">

<aside id="block-region-side-post" class="col-3 d-none d-md-block d-print-none  block-region" data-blockregion="side-post" data-droptarget="1">

so you see there are different classes applied to each section

by Denis Sh -

The section section = theme_adaptable_header does not have the correct bootstrap markup for displaying blocks. <aside id = "block-region-side-post" wrapped in <i>

$ plugin-> version = 2019060601;

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Jez H -
Hi Rolf,

Can you post a screen shot of the tiles on the homepage you are referring to please?
We are already working on the issue around left aligning the sidebar.
In reply to Jez H

In reply to Deleted user

by Jez H -
Hi Rolf,

The sidebar issue is being worked on to see whether it can be fixed quickly.
I think the issue with the front page courses has already been fixed, are you using the beta version downloaded here on Moodle.Org?
If can you upgrad to the version in our GIT repository which *should* resolve this:

In reply to Jez H

In reply to Jez H

In reply to Deleted user

In reply to Deleted user

by Jez H -
Hi Rolf,

To alter the number of tiles on a front page row you go to the frontpage courses section:

/admin/settings.php?section=theme_adaptable_frontpage_courses

I just tested that and it renders correctly in FF and Chrome. Can you re-test this with the latest version from GIT:

download link here:

https://gitlab.com/3bits/moodle-theme_adaptable2/-/archive/master/moodle-theme_adaptable2-master.zip

by Iren Siamo -
the latest build makes the menu background green and the links barely visible... I deleted the theme completely and then reinstalled, nothing changed. but the menus are on the left again and the edit buttons are working - can't wait for a fix version!

In reply to Iren Siamo

by Jez H -
Hi Iren,

This is using the latest version from our git repo:

download link here:

https://gitlab.com/3bits/moodle-theme_adaptable2/-/archive/master/moodle-theme_adaptable2-master.zip

If so can you check your theme settings as there maybe an issue with those.

We are not seeing this on any of our test systems at the moment, though I think there was a similar issue resolved last week sometime.
In reply to Iren Siamo

by Jez H -
Hi Iren,

I think this maybe related to this issue:

https://gitlab.com/3bits/moodle-theme_adaptable2/issues/196

but we are not able to replicate that either.

If you could re-test using the latest version from our GIT repo it would be appreciated.
In reply to Jez H

by Iren Siamo -

Hi Jez,

thank you for reaching out. I eventually fixed it by changing 'blockheaderbackgroundcolor' value to white in the custom CSS field and it worked (I used the version of June 23). Before the beta the old menus looked fine. I still have 2 bugs that came up after the beta and it seems to be a conflict between our design and the new layout (user name and the settings button are hardly visible, the colors are too close). If you could tell me the strings that are responsible for the green background and text on my screenshots, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much for your work.

Attachment backgrounds.png
In reply to Iren Siamo

by Jez H -
Hi Iren,

I think those issues have both been fixed now, the one you initially reported was fixed only a couple of hours ago so it would be worth updating again from GIT to see what has been improved.

I cannot remember what settings control that text off hand, but if you use a colour picker in your browser to grab the #ffffff value of the colour and search your admin settings for that colour you should find it quickly.

By colour picker I mean something like colourzilla, there are a few different ones available:

In reply to Jez H

by Iren Siamo -

Hi Jez,

thank you so much, all is fixed now. We had some custom css settings that worked before the beta, I was able to locate the problem values.

In reply to Jez H

In reply to Deleted user

by Iren Siamo -

Oh, wow, I just noticed after your message... the today's version doubled all left menus to the right on the main page only. I have the same set now on both sides, left is at the top and right is lower. And administrator bookmarks are visible even without login - I don't think it's supposed to be this way, as it's not like that in Classic theme.

Attachment right.png
In reply to Iren Siamo

by Jez H -
Hi Iren,

We released version 2.0 on Moodle.Org today, if you try that version you should find this issue resolved.
Note we have a different support thread for that version so can you report any further issues there please:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=387908
In reply to Deleted user

by Jez H -
Hi Rolf,

We released version 2.0 here on Moodle.Org today, can you test with that version and see if this is now resolved, a lot of fixes went into that included fixes for blocks.

Can you report any issues you find with that version in the new support thread here:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=387908

by dino latif -
Hello everyone

I just finished migrating moodle 3.6.4 to 3.7 with the latest version of adaptable. at the end my navigation bar below and completely disturb (as if the height had increased). the icons are at the top!

test
Has anyone come across this problem before ? I am looking for solutions.

Thank you all.