Folder Uploads

Folder Uploads

by J S H -
Number of replies: 9
Have tried out the Upload Multiple Files option for the Assignment module but it doesn't really do what we need...

Is there any work going on to allow a student to upload a folder and its content (including sub-folders)?

John
Average of ratings: -
In reply to J S H

Re: Folder Uploads

by Julian Ridden -
This is not a moodle restriction, but rather an issue iwth how web uploading works in general.

YTou cannot (in any web app) chose to upload a folder unless of course we are talking FTP.

We have predominantly windows based users and the way we handled this wa to teach students how to zip up the folder using built in Windows XP funcionality.

In this case students are told to:
- Right click the ofler they wish to send
- Click "Send to"
- Click "Compressed (zipped) Folder
- Upload the newly created zip file as their assignment answer.

The teacher can then download and extract the zip.
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Joan Codina Filba -
Maybe it could be possible....
If the browser is able to compress (zip,rar or tar) a folder send it compressed and then the server uncompresses the file after receiving it.
But I don't know if it is possible to have a javascript to compress some data in the client machine, i think that if this is possible then the rest will be factible.

In reply to Joan Codina Filba

by J S H -
Not really considered the web upload as being the restriction, but now it is pointed out it is obvious. blush

At the moment we do & have been using the zip option, which does work nicely. It would just be easier on the poor old teacher to pick up the folder structure then browse through the contents immediately - websites obviously cannot be browsed without a zip folder even though XP allows delving deep into the zip file.

Joan could you elaborate further with your idea? It is not the compressing that is the issue as the previous paragraph hopefully implies....

Cheers
John
In reply to J S H

by Dennis Daniels -
John
You might find some of my 'speed grading' tricks helpful... especially the downthemall extension from firefox.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=moodle+assignments

all the best
Dennis
In reply to Dennis Daniels

by Andrea Hall -
We, at our university, would also like to see the option of allowing students to upload folders for other students and the facilitator to see or even edit. I guess we are interesting in something rather like the presentation feature on WebCT.
I know that Moodle is not interested in replicating other LMS. However, electronic portfolios are a great way for students on some courses to learn, such as students on work placements.
So if there was any way to do this or add this to our Moodle, can you let me know!
Thanks.
In reply to Andrea Hall

by Ger Tielemans -
Study the two Wiki's Moodle is offering and realise that everything is already there in a free format structure:
  • You can offer your students wiki-pages where they can write about their subjects and attach files,
  • they can attach subpages with descriptions and files, etc:
  • especially dfWiki will offer more then you will need smile
You only will have to get used to this free format approach and the creative freedom for your students.