Moodle Oauth LinkedIn API changes

Moodle Oauth LinkedIn API changes

by Sham Palve -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle's oauth linkedin core library is using linkedin v1 api which are no longer supported. Is there anybody who have found solution for this . When will moodle change their core library for linkedin to use v2 api

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sham Palve

Re: Moodle Oauth LinkedIn API changes

by Michael Hawkins -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Testers
Hi Sham,

The way the LinkedIn's API v1 authentication was available in Moodle was by manually configuring an OAuth 2 service, rather than being functionality integrated into core (unlike some other services such as Google), so there isn't a LinkedIn library as such that can be directly updated to support their API v2.

I have been investigating this as part of Tracker issue MDL-65637. The problem is that, unfortunately, LinkedIn's v2 user info endpoint no longer provides a user's email address, and now requires an additional call to a separate endpoint to fetch it (see their migration docs here). Since we require a user's email address, and the current OAuth functionality in Moodle expects all user information to be fetched from a single endpoint (in line with the OAuth 2 specification), I don't think it is currently possible to configure the new API as an OAuth 2 service.

I am looking into this further, and hope there will be a way around it. It would be great to hear from anyone in the community that has found a workaround and been able to successfully use the v2 LinkedIn API (and I will update the documentation if a solution is found).
In reply to Michael Hawkins

Re: Re: Moodle Oauth LinkedIn API changes

by Sham Palve -
Hi Michael Hawkins,

First thanks for reply.
Currently to implement linkedin it requires core changes which is not great thing. For time being i have made core changes. Please give us a valid solution to this issue.
Thanks