LTI Provider: sending back grade discussion with LTI Consumer party

LTI Provider: sending back grade discussion with LTI Consumer party

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello,

I am having a discussion with an LTI Consumer Party about the value/grade that moodle is sending back as LTI Provider. 
And maybe I am missing something in Moodle that could help me moving forward. Any advice is welcome. 

Situation:

• Moodle 3.1
  • LTI provider standard
  • Course with quize, 60% or higher is considered as passed with activity setting quiz is passed when grade is sufficient
  • Coursecompletion: when quize is completed the course completes
  • LTI provider setting: grade sync when course / activity completion is met

I can see in the cron that this goes as I setted it up. 
The LTI Consumer receives any value higher then 60% (value 0.60000). 

The discussion is that the LTI Consumer claims that we should not send the value of the quiz but should send only value 1 because the course is completed. When I send the quiz value they will registrated this as progress and not completion. 

I have no idea how to get Moodle to make it 100%, well maybe I can by setting up the grade book differently (?). 

But I really wonder if they have implemeted the LTI consumer tool as it should. Is value 1 always the value that need to be sended. I have no issues with other implementation while running these settings, only this LTI consumer claims I have to change the code/value to always 1. 

Hope that anyone has some thoughts on this. 

Gemma

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gemma Lesterhuis

Re: LTI Provider: sending back grade discussion with LTI Consumer party

by Nick Thompson -
Gemma, sorry for taking so long to get to this. What is the tool in question? I think you should be able to send the value of the quiz back, but of course each tool can define the parameters of the grade that they choose. maybe they only support pass/fail in their tool?
In reply to Nick Thompson

Re: Re: LTI Provider: sending back grade discussion with LTI Consumer party

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Nick,

The issue is/was that they only supported Pass (1), they did not even support fail (0) in their case. They have solved the issue on their side, by creating in their tool a table where they say, when value x is higher then value 1, then it is value 1.

But my question is more if Moodle should not just send the value 1 when completed instead of the quiz grade?
And/ or how do people handel a case like this, by example do they know an option where I can say in the Moodle gradebook: when a student has a grade a boven x then note value 1 and when they have grade below Y then note value 0?

Gem
Because then I would had probably solved it in a way they wanted
In reply to Gemma Lesterhuis

Re: Re: Re: LTI Provider: sending back grade discussion with LTI Consumer party

by Nick Thompson -
It's not appropriate for Moodle to sanitize results from the tool. I would say that this sounds like it's the fault of the tool not using the spec properly.