Front page format

Front page format

av Gustav W Delius -
Antall svar: 22
I have not moodled much lately and am only now slowly exploring the new features in Moodle 1.6. One that baffles me are the new "Front page format" setting selectors on the "Site settings" page. I can't figure out what they are supposed to do. Can someone explain? That explanation could then also go onto MoodleDocs at http://docs.moodle.org/en/admin/site
Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til Gustav W Delius

Re: Front page format

av Patrick Li -
This feature is from NZOSVLE development suggestion list. The original proposal is:

Be able to select site look options via multiple tick box selection (instead single dropdown selection) so you could potentially have Announcements AND Resource/Activity drop downs on the main page or any combination of the current three options.

From the interface, you can select the order of each possible options displayed on the front page, or just hide it.

Have a try and you will see how it works.
Som svar til Patrick Li

av Gustav W Delius -
Patrick, thanks a lot for the explanation. I would never have guessed. I thought that by selecting '2' for 'News items' I would get 2 news items. To save others the same confusion I have now introduced language strings for the ordering choices and in the English language I have used 'First', 'Second', and 'Third' instead of 1, 2, 3.

There also seems to be some bug with this feature because I am getting two "Available Courses" sections on my site page unless I choose "Hide" in which case I get one. This of course added to my confusion about what these numbers meant.

av Patrick Li -
I can't reproduce the problem you have mentioned. Could you try to clean up the "frontpage" configuration value in the database and try again?

av Patrick Li -
Well actually you are right.

If you don't have any other course categories than "Miscellaneous", and you are displaying both "list of courses" and "list of categories" on the front page you will have two "Available Courses" on there.

This is bacause if there are no other categories in the system the category block will default to displaying courses.

I think I can fix that.

av Patrick Li -
I have revised the code to do a better job.

Now "list of categories" should aways show course categories and as a plus, if "list of courses" is not showing at the sametime, "list of categories" will show courses in each category as well.
Som svar til Patrick Li

av Gustav W Delius -
Patrick, thank you for those improvements.
You say that the list of categories may show courses in each category as well. Will that not be a problem on large sites with many courses?

av Patrick Li -
But this is actually the original behaviour of "list of categories" front page type.
Som svar til Patrick Li

av Nicolas Martignoni -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators
Hi Patrick,

Is there any way (other than hacking the code) to achieve the same look than in version 1.5.x with a list of Course categories (and subcategories) but WITHOUT the huge list of our courses?

If you have more than 20-30 courses on your moodle, the front page looks VERY bad this way, and it is very long too, which is not desirable.

TIA for your answer.
Gjennomsnittlig vurdering:Useful (1)
Som svar til Patrick Li

av Keith Belzowski -
Is there any way to have a "list of categories" that is expandible? Like with the (+) and (-) that would display the courses or sub-categories beneath? That would be great!
Som svar til Keith Belzowski

av Michael Fruehmann -
yes, that would be amazing! We have a  installation with more than 50 courses (some of them in an archive category) and the new behaviour is not really doing nice in this situation.

av Nicolas Martignoni -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators
This is now corrected as of 1.6.1 stort smil

See bug 5965
Som svar til Nicolas Martignoni

av Michael Fruehmann -
wow, nice thx! could someone please tell me which files have to be replaced because I cannot do an complete update from 1.6. to 1.6.1 at the moment and I want the new frontpage "design" possibility as soon as possible..

so I want to replace just the necessary files.

tia, michael
Som svar til Michael Fruehmann

av Nicolas Martignoni -
index.php
admin/site.html
admin/site.php
course/lib.php
lang/en_utf8/admin.php
lang/en_utf8/moodle.php
(and other languages if needed)
Som svar til Nicolas Martignoni

av John Blaser -

Hi Nicolas,

I just upgraded to 1.6.1 and have the new look on the front page. I too would like the old look of the categories/subcategories list. However, I am a total novice at this and don't know how to code. I am hoping it just requires changing a setting and you can indulge me with very specific steps to do it. Thanks, John

Som svar til John Blaser

av Nicolas Martignoni -
Log as an admin, then go to Administration > Configuration > Site settings and select "Combo list" as Front page format and Front page format when logged in.

av Mary Moran -
We would like the front page after logging in to only list course(s) in which the student, teacher, or other user is actually enrolled (admin user excepted). The users should not have access to lists of other courses on the site, even if they are not enrollable. (We do not allow self enrollment.) Any suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks in advance. We're using 1.8.
Som svar til Mary Moran

av Jason Hardin -
Mary you should be able to set the Front page Settings >> Front page items when logged in to List of Courses and this will display only the courses that the user is enrolled in.

We are having the problem that we want to display the category the course is in as well for the list of courses the student is in. I though this was a combo list but when i select combo list it just gives me another list of categories that shows all the courses in that category. We are using 1.8.2