Weighted Grades Calculation

Weighted Grades Calculation

by kristen vn -
Number of replies: 3

Note: I followed instructions to find the version of moodle but I can't find the  site administration option at the bottom/left. I have no idea what I'm doing!

The course is supposed to have papers be 25% of final grades, quizzes 50% and exams 25%.  I believe I have the exam and quizzes part set up correctly, however in the field next to exams it keeps reverting to 100.00 no matter how often I change it to 25.  It appears the settings are the same for the three categories but obviously something isn't right and I can't figure it out. 

Now that there's an exam maximum grade entered for finals this week, the final course total is listed as being out of 85 points (which is the exam value....).  I searched the help forum on here and on google in general and haven't been able to find a resolution to this challenge. 

Thanks

Attachment Screenshot 2019-05-06 at 9.53.12 AM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to kristen vn

Re: Weighted Grades Calculation

by Floyd Saner -

Kristen,

I'm not able to provide a definitive answer without seeing the entire grade book setup. But, base on your screenshot and description, it appears the exam category is the only one being used in the calculation. Do you have the other categories hidden?

Moodle will force the category weightings to sum to 100. So, the reason you cannot change the Exam category weighting is because the grade book thinks that is the only category to be included in the calculation.

I would look at the grade book setting on including/displaying hidden grades. Look at the "View ... User report" tab so you can see what a student will see.

Also, for the Quizzes-Extra Credit item, don't override the weighting. I know it will look strange to see a weight there, but Moodle will calculate the grades correctly.  Just mark it as Extra Credit in the item settings, and all will be OK.

Floyd

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Floyd Saner

by kristen vn -
I appreciate the fast response.

Re: Extra Credit - I saw differing instructions online... I'm going to trust you on this one.

By "Hidden" categories do you mean this screenshot below? All 3 categories (paper, quiz, exam) are not checked for hidden.  Is there somewhere else I should look for things being "hidden"?

Any thoughts on why it would be thinking exams are the only category and how I can correct this error?

Your instructions for seeing what a student would see is very helpful!

Attachment Screenshot 2019-05-06 at 11.31.46 AM.png
In reply to kristen vn

by Floyd Saner -

Kristen,

I'm interested in the documentation that said to set the extra credit weight to zero. I believe setting the weight to zero excludes the extra credit points from being added to the category points.

Can you provide me with a Teacher login to your course?  If so, I'll take a look at the settings.  Send the login info via Moodle Messaging - do not post it in the forum.

Thanks,

Floyd