Fordson cannot add blocks, no "latest announcements" block

Fordson cannot add blocks, no "latest announcements" block

by Walter Byrd -
Number of replies: 7

Moodle 3.6 Fordson v3.6 release 1.3.1

I want to change the announcement on my front page, and can find no way to do that.

With the boost theme, when I turned on "block editing" I got an "add block" button in the navigation area. I do not get that with the Fordson theme. I can find no way to add a block.

I switched back to boost, but could find way to edit the front page announcement, or site news, or whatever they call it.

I decided to remove, and re-install the "latest announcements" block. But after removing it, I cannot re-install. When I click "add block" it does not come up.

Even after removing the latest announcement block, the announcement is still on my front page. I went to front page, and unchecked "include a topic section" but that did not help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Walter Byrd

Re: Fordson cannot add blocks, no "latest announcements" block

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Fordson does blocks different by default.  Getting to know the admin settings for Fordson will also help.  Here is a video on the concept of how we handle blocks.  

Within the admin settings you can revert back to how Boost does blocks but by default Fordson will be similar in concept to this video:

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

(Re:) Adding Course Blocks does not work

by Antti Peltonen -

Hi,

Thanks for the nice video. However, I can not add blocks that way. Add Block-drop down menu does not add anything.

Only way to get new blocks is to switch back to Boost one column and add a block and then switch bact to thee column. -Weird?

Regards,
-Antti P-

In reply to Antti Peltonen

Re:

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Do you have a screen shot or something? I need to see what setting you chose for Blocks under the Fordson Theme Settings. That will determine how you add blocks. Previously, I had helped someone who selected "Boost default" for blocks and then removed the Nav Drawer. Boost needs the nav drawer to add blocks. Or if you choose the Fordson 3 column then you must open the block drawer at the top of the page with editing turned on. Must have editing turned on because if there are no blocks currently the block drawer is hidden. With editing turned on it will always display.

Re: Adding Course Blocks does not work

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I’m not sure, but when I was working on this same idea of adding blocks in the Aardvark Post-IT theme in discussions with both Shaun Daubney and Richard Oelmann some years ago, I discovered there was a problem with the way the blocks worked which got fixed. But then a new bug reared it’s head, so I am betting that the same bug still exists, if what I have read in this discussion is anything to go by?

The problem is with the ‘Add Block‘ block.

As far as I can remember that tracker was closed as can’t fix!

Hope this helps?

Mary

Re: (Fordson drop down menu problem)

by Antti Peltonen -
Hi,

Thank's for the reply...

I can see the Add Block drop down menu OK, but it does nothing.
The same problem is e.g. on the user menu field settings ( Create a new profile field ) drop down, when using Fordson theme.
... /user/profile/index.php

-AP-

by EA Carl -

Thank you for referencing the video on adding course blocks within a fordson theme moodle course!

Drawn in by the first sentence of the original poster, I too am interested in adding a site-level block to the fordson front page.  Specifically I am hoping to merge in the use of the "Advanced Notifications" plugin.

I see where a selection list of available "blocks" can be chosen for a non-authenticated user and separately for an authenticated user, with Announcements being available.  And I don't see how to tie this Announcements selection to the global Advanced Notification I configure in the "Advanced Notifications" plugin settings.

Does the fordson front page configuration require custom code to add a "block" selection that will pull in specific course blocks made available through additionally-added and installed plugins?

In reply to EA Carl

by Doug E. Wray -
Same problem here: trying to add any block to the site home with Fordson (latest version) on Moodle 3.9.1 (Build: 20200713) does nothing. It would be ideal if I could use Advanced Notifications, but not even site announcements works.
I run a server for only my own classes and frequently want to notify all users of the site of things such as Maintenance Mode times, feature upgrades, and the like, but now have to copy and paste notices into each of about 20 courses.