Essential in Moodle 3.7 and beyond

Re: Essential in Moodle 3.7 and beyond

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Thank you Mark smile
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Fatima Rahiman -

Hi Gareth

Firstly thank you for creating this wonderful theme!  We had  a request from a donor for a front page that would show off their many visuals and also allow  for offline use .Hence I selected this  theme and used it on Spoodle.(Im not a developer...only a learning designer  so it was a steep but  a manageable and enjoyable learning curve to say the least!)

We've now been asked to train the many universities who would like to implement the offline Spoodle onto their cloud. If the theme cannot be exported to  later versions of Moodle( i had no idea at the time what the implications  of that would mean when i selected the theme as our version was an old version of Moodle)   , what can i suggest to Universities ito of exporting the content to later versions of Moodle?

I'd hate to think that all the work done in customising the content(used the Book module mainly) would be lost  if one wanted to implement  the course on a later version...

Any advice on how to tackle this  issue would be most appreciated!

In reply to Fatima Rahiman

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Fatima,

I did not create the theme, Julian Ridden did, however I then took it over (long story).

The code is still available so you're welcome to copy / adapt some or all of it to a new theme or attempt updating from BS2.3.2 to BS4 by asking / employing a developer. So the work is not lost, just available for reference.

I did not make the decision lightly to stop development of the theme.

G
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Fatima Rahiman -

Thanks  for your response Gareth.

Maybe my question is not clear then...If i wanted to import the Spoodle course  with the Essential  theme onto Moodle 3.10,  could  I still do this or what level  of expertise e would be required ito  of the  code you refer to ...Sorry Im not a developer hence the dumb question...

Its just that i need to brief folk about the limitations of this  course  that I've created on a USB drive and who may wish to import it to their institutions online LMS . What exactly  can they do ?...for eg Would the content be exportable but just not the pretty interface? 

I am so sorry for bothering you just a bit in angst now ..

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Fatima,

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about or how it relates to Essential. From my point of view I have stopped with Essential.

G

by Jez H -
Hi Fatima,

What your backup contains are ONLY backing up the content / activities and resources.
When restored on other Moodle sites your course will use whatever theme is installed on that site.

So, you don't need to worry about the theme at all smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jez H

by Fatima Rahiman -

Thanks so much for your kind and polite response Jez! (a theme that should be in all versions of Moodle and developers alike smile

That helps a great deal!!! I guess my concern remains the front page of the theme which used a slide feature  to showcase all the visuals that the donor wanted profiled. So I'll lose that but that's fine. 

Again I really appreciate your feedback! I'm going to try to install the Spoodle solution with the Essential theme on our new Moodle 3.8 I think and see. 

Have a great weekend and be safe!!