Missing Cohorts

Missing Cohorts

by Martin . -
Number of replies: 6

Hi.

As I understand the workflow ... I have to create cohorts at a system level ... and then use these cohorts the create groups at a course level ... I cannot simply enrol cohorts onto a course.

In doing following this, I am finding a strange intermittent 'error' ... probably my fault! ... b ut I do not know where to look for a solution:

I have created cohorts and manually added the members ... and everything looks fine within the lisyt of cohorts. The problem is that when creating classes from cohorts, some of the cohorts do not appear on the list within the 'auto create classes' list. Some of the cohorts that |I have created do appear, but some do not!

What have I done (or more likely not ticked) for some of the cohorts?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin .

Re: Missing Cohorts

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Martin,

Some of the information is a bit confusing, but I'll try to answer your question:

• You've created a number of system level cohorts and added users to them
  • Then you went to a course and set up a Cohort sync enrolment for each cohort that has to be in the course

In the cohort sync enrolment method, you can choose to also automatically create a course level group for the cohort members, using the Add to group settings > Create new group

There's also an option to go to Participants > Groups > Auto-create groups, where you can select cohorts for which you can automatically generate a number of groups, but that only works after you've used the Cohort sync enrolment type to link the cohort to the course. Manually enrolling users from a cohort does not work.

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Martin . -

Thank you for the reply.

I am sorry that my question was a little confusing ... I am not familiar with 'Cohort sync enrolment'

There's also an option to go to Participants > Groups > Auto-create groups". I am using this method and did not consider that there might be a different approach. This is where some of my cohorts cooer in the drop-down list ... but others do not. AFAIK all my cohorts were created manually and then users added individually. 

A quick look at the 'Cohort sync enrolment' plug-in settings suggests that the module is enabled site wide, but when I go to the course Enrolment methods, it does not appear on the screen. Only 'Manual enrolments' are visible ... and I cannot see how to add an additional enrolment method to this course. The Moodle Docs Image below shows 'add method' below the existing methods ... but I am not seeing that (as system admin and course creator).

Sorry ... as often the case with Moodle what starts of as one question morphs into a different issue/direction.

.From the Moodle docs

In reply to Martin .

by Joost Elshoff -

Hi Martin,

Have you checked if the other core enrolment plugins have been enabled or not? Please see Site administration > Plugins > Enrolment plugins > Manage enrolment plugins for an overview of what is available and enabled/disabled (the plugins currently unavailable should have this type of button behind it: )

Clicking the button should enable the plugin, so you can use it.

by Martin . -

AFAIK, the correct plug-in is installed and enabled.

Unless there is a dependency issue somewhere ...

In reply to Martin .

by Joost Elshoff -

Have you checked that the permission 'enrol/cohort:config' has been enabled for the teacher role? By default, this should be set to Allowed. If it has been set to Disabled / Not set or Prohibited, you may encounter issues there. 

Go to Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles to check whether a teacher role has been modified.

by Martin . -

Hi.

Yes I checked this. Moodle docs has a list of permission dependencies for this plug-in ... they are all set.

I have also run the maintenance cron script just in case.

None of my courses have the facility to add enrolment method ... as teacher, creator or manager ... yet all show the listed permissions as granted.

My Moodle version is 3.4.3+ (build 20180614) ... with no possibility of updating ...; but then I do not believe that this particular area has changed with more recent builds.