How to grade forums automatically

How to grade forums automatically

by Tracey Braunger -
Number of replies: 3

Good day

My coordinators are currently spending too much time grading forums by going through the discussions and manually entering grades.

Is there a way to automate this?  E.g. Jane posts to forum and her grade is automatically updated in the Gradeboook.

Thank you

Tracey

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tracey Braunger

Re: How to grade forums automatically

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I use forums and always read and grade every student post, so I think that I understand your question.

Here are two ideas for you.

1) Don't grade forums.  If your teachers are not interested in reading quality student's posts, why fake the grading of these?

2) In the grade book, you could go to the forum item and grade these all at the same time, in single item grading mode.  Just enter any score that you would like to give the students.

3) Explore creating a feature request in the Tracker system that will automatically give a student a point whenever they make a post, even if there post is something like: "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. "

Since your teachers are not interested in reading what students write, the above "Lorem..." post is as good as any.  Right?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tracey Braunger -

It seems you misunderstood my question.

Coordinators are not teachers; they are the administrators who enter the grades.

Faculty (aka teachers) do read and respond to participants on a course forum, encouraging healthy debate on said forum.

However, when the coordinators (aka administrators) need to allocate grades, this can be a time-consuming task and takes away from their time assisting participants during the day.

Thank you for taking the time to respond anyway.

In reply to Tracey Braunger

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Tracy, maybe I did misunderstand.

When a teacher reads and responds, this is the best time for them to provide a grade (i.e., a "rating.")  I don't understand what coordinators have to do about "allocating grades?"  I will provide a graphic showing a student's post, and how I have "graded" it.

So yes, "Jane posts to forum and her grade is automatically updated in the Gradeboook."  This is how ratings work in Moodle.

I am also going to provide a screenshot showing how I have defined this feature in the Forum edit area.

Attachment forum.jpg
Attachment settiings.jpg