email notification of new message at the forum

email notification of new message at the forum

by antonio temprano -
Number of replies: 5
I would like my students to receive an email notification when somebody writes a new post at the forums. I know that it's possible because I have seen it, but I have no idea about how getting it. Could you help me, please?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to antonio temprano

Re: email notification of new message at the forum

by Gustav W Delius -

The students can subscribe to receive email notifications by clicking on the "Subscribe to this forum" link in the upper right-hand corner of the forum's main page. Alternatively you can set up the forum so that every student is forced to be subscribed. This is one of the options on the forum setup page. This option is automatically selected for the news forum.

One option that I would like to see is to have students automatically subscribed when the forum is created but to allow them to unsubscribe if they want to. I currently do this by hand directly in the database.

In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
You wrote: students automatically subscribed when the forum is created but to allow them to unsubscribe if they want to

I'd also like to have this feature, but since it's not currently available, can you explain how you do it manually in the database? Do you mean that you go to the forum_descriptions and use phpmyadmin to create entries for each student whenever you create a new forum? Supposing that you have 30 students in a course, this would mean creating 30 entries manually for each new forum. surprise What if you have more  students?... dead

Or is there a more efficient way of doing it?
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Gustav W Delius -

When I said "by hand" I didn't really mean that. I meant I wrote a script to do it. Something along the lines of

<?php
$courseid = get_field('forum', 'course', 'id', $FORUMID);
$studentids = get_records('user_students', 'course', $courseid);
foreach ($studentids as $studentid) {
    $subscription->userid = $studentid;
    $subscription->forum= $FORUMID;
}
?>

where you should set $FORUMID to the id number of the forum to which you want to subscribe all students in the course. The above is untested and you certainly will want to decorate it with some diagnostic printing.

In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Joe Griffin -
I guess this is related.

I have set up forums for my students and co-lecturers and we are all subscribed.  I have requested email notifications but don't get these.  Any ideas?

I'm running 1.2 dev

Thanks

Joe