Performance with 2500 concurrent users

Re: Performance with 2500 concurrent users

by Stephen Tod -
Number of replies: 2

Hi Dan and Visvanath, 

Than you both for the answers. 

@Dan: 

Sadly, we have to go further with MS SQL. I will take your recommendation and look into the performance optimization of the MS SQL driver for PHP and also look into MUC. 

Regarding the version, the first thing on our roadmap is the update to the newest available Moodle stable version. 

@Visvanath:

MSSQL is on separate server. So we have: 

• Webserver - VMWare with 8GB RAM, REDHat 7.5
  • MSSQL server 20GB RAM

I will keep it for the sence of documentation here updated, in order to help further for other Moodle users. 

BR

In reply to Stephen Tod

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Stephen

Here are some more pieces of information that could be useful to the others:
- Virtualization host(s)
-- OS? You said VMware, but is it ESX? Version?
-- Hardware? Specially the disc system. Are they fast drives or even SSD?
-- Are both VMs on the same virtulization host?
-- Any other VMs running on it?

- Database server
-- vCPUs of the database server?
-- OS of the database server? You mentioned SQL Server 2016, so perhaps Windows Server 2016. Which release/version?
-- Is it shared? I mean, does it serve applications other than this Moodle?

As you may have noticed, Windows is not my world.
wink
In reply to Stephen Tod

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm just going to throw this in here as we hear it quite a lot... "our local policies / my manager say that we have to use xyz". Insert your choice of sub-optimal system. 

Moodle is mostly developed and mostly implemented on 'popular' Linux distros (effectively, Ubuntu and CentOS), using Apache and NginX and using MySQL or Postgres for a database. Although other possibilities are available and technically supported they will not be as good.

Your easiest technical option is always to use a an "optimal" configuration. Before you do anything else. Or if you prefer, "use what everybody else uses".

Average of ratings: Useful (4)