embedded PDFs on mobile devices

embedded PDFs on mobile devices

by c p -
Number of replies: 2

I have been advised that this is a support issue rather than a bug.

I use a number of PDFs stored as stealth and displayed in pages using iFrames. They display fine on desktop machines but not on mobile devices. I understand this may be a browser issue rather than a moodle issue. The usual workaround is to use the google docs embedded file viewer but I am unable to get that to work on my moodlecloud site. It seems to display the html code for the login page rather than the specified pdf. Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to c p

Re: embedded PDFs on mobile devices

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

Is there a public page where I (and others) could have a look, or could you share a screenshot?

Can you confirm this issue is specific to MoodleCloud? Does the same workaround work as expected on Moodle 3.6.3 hosted elsewhere?

Thanks,

Mat

In reply to Mathieu Petit-Clair

Re: embedded PDFs on mobile devices

by c p -

Thank you,

I don't have access to another 3.6.3 installation but am getting the google workaround to work on a 3.1.1 site [see image success.jpg] The image unsuccessful.jpg shows what I am getting on my moodlecloud site. I was wondering if it was to do with the restriction on guest access [I have autologinguests ticked] but playing around on the other site switching off guest access still allows the pdf to display.

Prompted by your reply I have played around a little more and find the 3.1.1 installation to be a little inconsistent — sometimes it is working and sometimes it isn't. I cannot figure out a pattern. On one occasion it wasn't working so I opened up the pdf using the direct link in another tab then refreshed the moodle page and it displayed correctly. I then wondered if it was a caching issue but I opened up the moodle page in a completely different browser that had never seen the pdf before and the page opened with the pdf embedded correctly.

Attachment success.jpg
Attachment unsuccessful.jpg