Where is the backup area?

Re: Where is the backup area?

by Ken Task -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

When you think about it minute, teacher is doing the 'right' thing ... major assignment or work done, make a course backup.   That's a good safe practice.   What teachers don't really understand is Moodle is a shared resource

Have a teacher on one K12 system that teaches a Digital/Multimedia course.   Assignments are always large ... file wise.   After major assignments were due, teacher made a course backup, but didn't erase/remove older backups.   Eventually course got to 139 Gig.  Couldn't run autobackups.  And when a 1TB data got to 95% full before the end of an Academic calendar year (teacher had 6 older backups) with the Videos portion of this course yet to come, finally had to say something.  It did take 'peer pressure' for this teacher to adjust a little.

Was prepared to pull the trigger on moosh scripts if teacher didn't adjust ... for the good of all teachers/students in the system.   Since am a remote admin and not a member of that faculty/IT department they could always 'fire me' - but that would mean internal IT folks would have to become admins.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

Re: Where is the backup area? [RESOLVED]

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Ken

Thanks for your insight. So in summary, Moosh is the only (technical) tool against this kind of data hoarding.

P.S. Sorry for the lack of general communication. I have said too much - I'm in eco-mode now. ;-X
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Where is the backup area? [RESOLVED]

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, moosh isn't the only ... you already figured that out.  Moosh is, however, the only efficient and accurate way to re-claim space in a crunch.

And to be honest, a combo of web based admin and cli appears to me to be the most efficient and accurate way to admin a moodle.

My 2 cents, of course!

'spirit of sharing', Ken