As of now we are using "upload Users" to synchronise Moodle with our internal student management system ( LMS, which produces the necessary csv files). The drawback of this approach is, that this step needs to be done interactively by a human operator. As this operator requires full admin access it is difficult to delegate this task to non technical people. We therefore are searching for an alternative approach:
best would be if we could automate this step e.g. using a webservice. But we did not find out how
Using external DatabaseI investigated "external Database" using an Sqlite database which could also be produced by our LMS). I was pretty successful with creating the users. The current drawbacks are:
- user is enrolled to the course only when she logs in to moodle. This does not help, since she does not get notifications from the teacher unless, she has logged in to moodle. In particular for new students, she is waiting for the teachers notification.
- I do not manage to add new users to a cohort. This is necessary, since we have support courses, which use cohort enrolment.
- is there a way to enroll the users from external database immediately via scheduled taks?
- is there a way to add users to a global cohort va an external database ( i tried "cohort external database" without success)
- is there a webservice which allows to "upload users" automatically (means headless without user interaction)
- has anyone used webservices to create, enrol and add to cohort users?