Starred Courses block -- starred courses still appear in the block after you're unenrolled

Starred Courses block -- starred courses still appear in the block after you're unenrolled

by Brian Warling -
Number of replies: 5

In Moodle 3.6, you can "star" a course that you are enrolled in. This causes the course to appear in the Starred Courses block. But if you're unenrolled from the course, the course continues to display in the Starred Courses block (it no longer displays in the Course Overview block). And there doesn't appear to be any way to "unstar" this course since the ability to star/unstar it resides in the Course Overview block (where it no longer appears). And why should a course you no longer have access to continue to appear in the Starred Courses block?

This doesn't seem right. Perhaps I'm missing something.

We have a locally-developed Favorite Courses block where users can "favorite" courses they are enrolled in. Favorited courses appear in the block. Once you are unenrolled from a course you have favorited, it is immediately removed from the Favorite Courses block. I think this make sense. And this is the kind of behavior I would expect to see in the Starred Courses block, but I'm not -- unenrolled, starred courses continue to display.

Thanks in advance.... Brian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Warling

תשובה ל: Starred Courses block -- starred courses still appear in the block after you're unenrolled

by Acqua Alta -

Hi Brian,

I'm using Moodle 3.6.1+ (Build: 20181220), and I can't replicate the issue that you raised.

I used a student account and starred a course in the "Course Overview" block, and then used an admin account to unenrol the relevant student from that course. When I logged in again as the student, the starred course was gone as expected.

In reply to Acqua Alta

Re: תשובה ל: Starred Courses block -- starred courses still appear in the block after you're unenrolled

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Ah... Brian posted twice about the same issue - see here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=385063.

In reply to Jon Bolton

Re: Re: תשובה ל: Starred Courses block -- starred courses still appear in the block after you're unenrolled

by Brian Warling -
I did not post twice about the same issue. These are different issues. One affects starred courses, the other recently accessed courses. I don't understand why there should be any confusion, at least with regard to the posts I made.

Recently Accessed Courses -- must one be enrolled?

There are also two distinct tracker tickets for these issues:

Starred courses remain starred (in Starred Courses block) after unenrollment:
https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-65363

Recently accessed courses block should show any course the user has accessed
https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-65332
In reply to Brian Warling

Re: Re: Re: תשובה ל: Starred Courses block -- starred courses still appear in the block after you're unenrolled

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Apologies Brian, you're right. I was reading on a mobile device and in a post-anaesthetic haze sad
In reply to Acqua Alta

Re: תשובה ל: Starred Courses block -- starred courses still appear in the block after you're unenrolled

by Brian Warling -
Starred courses, where the user is unenrolled, are indeed removed from the user's Course Overview block (which makes sense since the user is no longer enrolled), but these courses remain in the Starred Courses block. This post is about the Starred Courses BLOCK.