Podcasting: New Podcasting module

Podcasting: New Podcasting module

by Thomas Dolsky -
Number of replies: 259

Here is a first release of a podcasting module i have developed to work with a content recording software we provide to schools.  The idea for our content recorder is to have one touch video content recording into moodle.

Current Funcionality

1. Ability to create a per course podcast feed.
  2. supports iTunes extended tags
  3. Per media file view logging by user.
  4. iTunes compatible media downloads from moodledata.
  5. Student comments per podcast item.
  6. Ability to uplad media files and select for podcast.
  7. Adds duration tag from for mp3 files.
  8. Dynamic on the fly per user rss feed.
  9. Scheduled visibility window.
  10. All iTunes tags are editable.
  11. Default tags are loaded from course settings.

My current todo list.

1. External reference for media files.
  2. Finish Backuplibs
  3. Finish Restorelibs
  4. Add ffmpeg library support
  5. Finish help files
  6. many small interface fixes
  7. Add some error checking
  8. Add student posting ability(ie foreign language responses)

Comments, bug reports, etc are welcome to further develop this module.  currently testing on version 1.5.3 of moodle. 

The only moodle file modified is the /lib/rsslib.php to provide some extended tags.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Dolsky

Re: Podcasting: New Podcasting module

by Darren Smith -
Has anybody else tried this module? I attempted to install it but got a load of errors as the table creation stage. Is this a bug or unique to us/the way I did it?
In reply to Darren Smith

by Thomas Dolsky -
Can you post the errors? 

by Darren Smith -
Hello.

I was going to but it contains server path information so I was a little reluctant. I did try to send you the information via email but I got an error message back from yahoo sad.

You can email me using the address in my profile if you like but here is the first bit:

(mysql): CREATE TABLE `mdl_ipodcast` ( `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, `ipodcastcourseid` int(10) NOT NULL default '0', `userid` int(10) NOT NULL default '0', `name` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `summary` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `notes` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `attachment` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `duration` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '', `explicit` tinyint(2) NOT NULL default '0', `subtitle` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `keywords` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `topcategory` int(10) NOT NULL default '0', `nestedcategory` int(10) NOT NULL default '0', `timecreated` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', `timemodified` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', `timestart` int(10) NOT NULL default '0', `timefinish` int(10) NOT NULL default '0', `section` int(10) NOT NULL default '0', PRIMARY KEY (`id`)) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 COMMENT='all podcasts'

1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 COMMENT='all podcasts'' at line 1

adodb_mysql._execute(CREATE TABLE `mdl_ipodcast` ( `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, `ipodcastcourseid` int(10) NOT NULL default '0', ..., false) % line 854, file: adodb.inc.php
adodb_mysql.execute(CREATE TABLE `mdl_ipodcast` ( `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, `ipodcastcourseid` int(10) NOT NULL default '0', ...) % line 55, file: datalib.php
execute_sql(CREATE TABLE `mdl_ipodcast` ( `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, `ipodcastcourseid` int(10) NOT NULL default '0', ...) % line 199, file: datalib.php
modify_database(/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/moodle/mod/ipodcast/db/mysql.sql) % line 205, file: adminlib.php
upgrade_activity_modules(http://voyager.egglescliffe.org.uk/moodle/admin/index.php) % line 243, file: index.php

Error
In reply to Darren Smith

by Thomas Dolsky -

I have tried the install on several servers and I just cant figure out your bug.  In all cases it worked perfectly.

I can even copy and past the sql out of your post and create the table.

My only suggestion is delete all tables that start with mdl_ipodcast .  Then go into your config table and delete the records that start with ipodcast .  Download v.19 from this forum and try the install again.  If it works delete the module and reinstall to make sure all is clean.

Thats all I have so far. 

Tom

by Matthias Dietrich -

Hello Thomas,

I've got the same error messages as Darren. The last error message says: "ipodcast tables could NOT be set up succesfully!" mysql): SELECT * FROM mdl_user WHERE id = '2' AND username = 'guest' LIMIT 1

For that reason there are no table with mdl_ipodcast to delete. Any other idea?

I've tried it with ipodcast 1.9 and 2.0.

My configuration: moodle 1.53+, Apache 1.3.27, PHP 4.3.3, MySQL 4.0.15, Windows XP with SP 2.

Thanks Matthias

In reply to Matthias Dietrich

by Darren Smith -
Hello

I may have 1 solution, 2 more problems, a suggestion and some information smile

POSSIBLE SOLUTION

1 of the problems (for me) seems to be with lines like:

ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 COMMENT='all podcasts';

I have no idea why this is a problem (I don't know what I am doing) but I just went through the error messages and found changing the lines to the following helps:

TYPE=MyISAM COMMENT='all podcasts';

I have attached the sql file I am using. Dropping all tables with ipodcast in and then going back to admin helped me get further. I now get 13 successes but it sticks at the following:

PROBLEM 1

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_config (id,name,value) VALUES (NULL,'ipodcast_enablerssfeeds', '1') ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE value=1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE value=1' at line 1

and

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_config (id,name,value) VALUES (NULL,'ipodcast_enablerssitunes', '1') ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE value=1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE value=1' at line 1

PROBLEM 2

When going back to admin I get lots of error messages from the start saying the tables already exit. Is this normal or should it just ignore them if they already exist and try and create tables that don't?

SUGGESTION

Instead of moving files about would it not be easier to package the zip with the correct folder structure so it can just be extracted into the root of the moodle install.

INFORMATION

I have pasted the v2 readme into the documentation wiki:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/course/mod/ipodcast

Darren

In reply to Darren Smith

by Thomas Dolsky -

Thanks for all the info I think we can get this cleaned up now.

I made a new mysql.sql file with the ENGINE/TYPE fix you found.

I also remoded the default config records being entered.  They will need to be set up manually now.  I will roll all this into a new one Monday after I fix a couple of bugs that the external reference attachment created.

But if you could try this I would appreciate it.  A graphical mysql administrator program really helps with this.

Step 1 remove the module in moodle if it is listed in the module list.

Step 2 drop all ipodcast tables.

step 3 Copy the mysql.sql attached here to the db directory of the ipodcast module. 

Step 4 Go to admin and see if it installs.

Step 5 Delete module - This will clean duplicate entries in the log_display table.

Step 6 Go to moodle admin and install module again.

If all goes well you should be ready.  Since I removed the default config settings the first thing you will want to do is go to the ipodcast settings and set enable rrsfeeds and enablerssitunes if you want itunes tags.

Last step tell me if it worked. smile

by Darren Smith -

1. it wasn't
  2. ok
  3. ok
  4. Wooohooooo! big grin
  5. ok but it did not actually selete the module- just removed it from the list. I guess this was expected looking at the next step
  6. Wooohooo big grin
In the settings both were already set to yes.

Excellent work. It seems to install fine. Can't stop - I'm off to play with it now smile
In reply to Darren Smith

by Darren Smith -
This looks superb

Unfortunately when I choose Change ... on the attachment tab it just opens a blank white window rather than anything I can use to browse.

Also if anybody has any clues on how to "Make sure to AllowOverride All (or enough to get "AddType" to function) on /mod/ipodcast folder." via webmin would be welcome.

Perhaps the latter would solve the first?

Anyway, I am happy to help on the help files if needed.

Edit: when I press the edit icon on a podcast it returns Invalid Course ID. This occurs with the podcast showing or hidden. I can use the breadcrumbs after this to enter the settings.

In reply to Darren Smith

by Thomas Dolsky -

Ok here is the blank upload popup fix.  Somehow a space made it in the worng place.

****Release notes***
*****v.21

• Darren Smith's Database fix hopefully
  • Blank upload popup fix
  • delete podcast if its an external reference would fail - fixed now

I hope I didnt create any other bugs.

Down to the menu setting bug Matthias has and Randy Bonds has an attachment issue.

by Darren Smith -
Excellent work, Thomas smile. Upgrade was fine. This module has huge potential for moodlers. I am well on my way now smile.

The only problem left I can see on my set up is when I am in the course with editing on and click the update icon (the one which is a hand) I get an error message (below). It looks like it is trying to load moodle/course/mod.php?update=8768 for the podcast whereas the update settings are at moodle/mod/ipodcast/view.php?id=8768. This looks like a standard moodle thing so if this is common amongst other installs then perhaps a redirection from the former to the latter?

Darren

Attachment 001.jpg

by Simon Bryan -
Just tried to install this version in 1.6 was a minor disaster

The tables created OK in the database, but there was an error with each one as well. When I wnet back to the site, only two blocks loaded and then it stalled when it tried to load an RSS Block on the main page, the Admin page was a blank screen.

I manually removed all references to ipodcast from the database using the db/mysql.sql file as a guide, moved the module out of the mod directory, but nothing improved until I replaced the rsslib.php file with the original.

Is there a better version to go into 1.6 - scanning down the thread this seemed to be the highest version number.

Any other thoughts?

by Vijay Adyanthaya -

I wish to install the PODCAST plugin ,

can i simply download ipodcast-v.21.zip and install or do i have to start from the first version.

my moodle version is 1.6.3

by Matthias Dietrich -

Hello

thanks for all your efforts. Now it seems to work fine except that I cannot change ipodcast_enablerssfeeds to yes in the settings (see image).

But as Darren says Whooohooo, excellent work.

Matthias

Attachment settings.gif

by Thomas Dolsky -

Hmmm I wonder if this has anything to do with you using German.

Can you right click in that web window and view source then send that to me.  Might help me work out the problem.  Meanwhile im gonna switch to German and see what happens.

Just when I thought things were shaping up still more problems. 

This is why I through it out there.  To get all of these problems worked out.

Tom

by Darren Smith -
Looks like it is on a mac. Very wise smile.

Perhaps it's a problem associated with the browser/platform? Moodle, for example, doesn't show the HTML editor to me when I am in safari. Which browser are you usng Mattias? I can put the laptop on and switch to German to check smile

Darren

by Thomas Dolsky -

Do you have rssfeeds globally enabled?   That could be the cause.  Go to variables in the admin and find enablerssfeeds in the Miscellaneous section and make sure it is yes.

Tom

by Matthias Dietrich -

Hello Thomas, hello Darren,

the variable "rssfeeds" wasn't enabled. Sorry for inconvenience, but I'm a newbie with rss and podcasting.

Matthias

In reply to Darren Smith

by Bhupinder Singh -

I have installed the module. The installation went off fine,

My Environment:

1.5.3+

I am new to podcasting.

Can some one run me through how to add files to the podcast. Or direct me to a place where I can add /understand how to add them.

Thanks  

Garry

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi Thomas,

The installation is smooth.

Can you lead/direct me as to where I can understand the use of the current functonalities.

Any write up/ link etc.

Thanks

Garry

by Thomas Dolsky -

Some quick directions on use.  I will try and add these to the README.txt

Copy the ipodcast folder to your mod directory.  Copy the ipodcast.php from the moodle/mod/ipodcast/lang/en/ to your moodle/lang/en directory . Copy the ipodcast folder from moodle/mod/ipodcast/lang/en/ to moodle/lang/en/help/ .

Backup your original moodle/lib/rsslib.php by renaming it to moodle/lib/rsslib-orig.php .  Then copy the new rsslib over from moodle/mod/ipodcast/lib/rsslib.php to moodle/lib/rsslib.php

Go to your administration and install module and make sure all succeeds.  Apache will need to have .htaccess override allowed for the ipodcast module directory.  the module directory contains a premade .htaccess to allow scripts to run with media extensions ie. .mp3 , .mov, .mp4, .m4v .    itunes will only download files with these extensions. 

You should have a working setup here.  To this point has only been tested with Windows and mysql other OS's are untested.  Also English is the only language file since its the only one I can understand.

The next step is to hit the ipodcast module settings and make sure you want the iTunes tag support.  By default the mysql.sql file enables these options.  If you delete the module and try and reload it those two entries will cause a key duplicate error in v.18 the next rev fixes that issue.  You will need to delete those records in the config table in order to install a second time.

Now go into a course you are a teacher or admin for and turn editing on.  Add an Activity and Podcast should now be in the list. When you select it you should get the message

"iPodcast settings have not been set for this Course. Set here before continuing"

This is the first time per course setting for the podcast.  It will load some default settings from the course.  Check over and hit "Save Course Settings" .  The header should now read "Updating iPodcast settings for Course {coursename}" .  Select done to get back to the course outline.  Now add a podcast activity again for whatever section you want.  Update the name summary and notes to your preference and hit the save button.  You should see a tabbed window with a few options.

View Podcast tab views it as a student would see the page. 

Comments tab views the student comments on the podcast

Views tab shows who has viewed the media file and when.

Edit Podcast tab edits the Name, Summary, and notes of the podcast

iTunes Tags tab edits all the iTunes specific information

Attachment  tab loads and selects the media file.

Visibility tab selects both the current or scheduled visibility for the podcast.

By default the iTunes tags are set from the Course settings for the podcast.  No Attachment and visibility is set to hidden.

To select a media file hit the Attachment tag and select the Change... button then select Upload a file button.  You should get another window with a Browse... button select it and an open window should appear.  Find the media file and select it.  Remember only "mp3,mov,m4v, and mp4" files are supported.  After selecting the file click Upload this file you should have a directory listing with that file listed.  Choose select from the action column and the line should go grey and the action will display "Currently Selected" .  Choose Close this window button to take you back to the Podcast.  The Attachment window will not update unless the browser is refreshed(on the list to fix).  Now change the current visibility to "Podcast visible to students"  click save and the podcast entry is ready.

To subscribe to the podcast click on "Podcasts" under activities for the course.  Its on the upper left side on my moodle.  This should bring up a list of published podcasts,  probably just one if you were following this from scratch.  In the upper right corner should be a rss iPodcast button right click and copy shortcut or link.  Now paste that shortcut into the iTunes subscribe to ipodcast window.

If all is well you should have the podcast.  The rss xml feed is built whn the link is called so you dont have to wait for cron after adding a podcast activity.

Thats it for now.  Attached is version .19 it fixes the deleting and reloading the module config table bug.

Tom

by David Banach -
This looks like it will be great. Thanks so much for your work.

I've installed it and I have a few questions:

1. Do you have to use attachments or will it work with links to media files on other servers within the podcast summary description.
(btw the media filter plugin does not appear to work on links to mp3s within the description)
My Moodle server can't handle alot of bandwidth, so I need to serve the media files elsewhere.
2. Once I add an attachment, I don't appear to be able to get rid of it. Even when I delete the file itself,the link to the attachment still remains.
3. When I hit the edit button on a podcast in the podcasts list from the actvities block. I get an Invalid Course ID error message and cannto edit.
I can edit fine from the edit tab of the podcast itself.

Moodle 1.5.3+ (2005060230)

PHP Version 5.0.4

Thanks again for the great mod!

David

In reply to David Banach

by Thomas Dolsky -

External links is the top on the list I think it is a necessity

I am mostly doing bug fixes for current functionality now.  Im going to try and finish backup and restore today then I will post an update. 

My new version deletes the files when the podcast is deleted.  You can use the files link under administration to delete files until the update is done.

Thanks for number 3 I missed that one. I will get to that bug today too. 

Tom

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Sallie Draper -

I've read the entire "New Podcasting module" thread and haven't found an answer to the question posed by Randy on 2/3/06.  i'm having the same problem and would appreciate it if anyone could offer advice on this error:

Everytime I try to add a podcast MP3 file under the Attachment tab, I can upload the file but I get an error when I try to select it:

Error inserting file xxx.mp3

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

In reply to Sallie Draper

by Thomas Dolsky -

Im really not sure what the your bug is.  If I had to take a stab I would say permissions for the moodledata folder.  But if you could post some info about your server maybe we can get the problem figured out.

Tom

by Sallie Draper -

Thanks for your reply.

I am using v.26 w. Moodle 1.5.2 Mysql (not sure of version) and PHP 4.4.0.

I get no errors when uploading & choosing files in other modules so I'm guessing that means the permissioning on the moodledata directory is ok.

Again, I appreciate any help you can offer.

Sallie

by Art Lader -
Hi, Sallie,

Could it have anything to do with AllowOveride All?

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Sallie Draper -

Art,

Thanks for your reply.  I'll verify the settings with our programming staff.  If I have other problems after that I'll report back.

Thanks again!

Sallie

by Thomas Dolsky -

By looking at the source that error can only be caused by a database error not a permissions or file error.

What was the first version of ipodcast you tried?

Have you tried deleting the module and reloading it?  If not that would be the first thing to try.  That should delete the tables and rebuild them. 

Those are my first ideas.

by Graham Glass -

I was getting the same error (on a 1.6 Moodle / Windows installation) until I put in some iTunes tags - leave the keywords etc blank and I can't add a file, add some info in the tags (haven't experimented to see if one particular field is to blame) and it works fine.

Maybe just coincidence, but hope that helps the people having the original problem.

Thanks very much by the way, this is great.

In reply to Graham Glass

by Jesse Thorstad -
Should this module work with Moodle 1.5.4? I looked up un this thread and downloaded v.28 and have tried it with a few problems.

I can upload and select mp3 files. If I upload an m4a file, it uploads OK, but doesn't show in the Moodle "select file" window. Just my mp3 shows up.

If I select an mp3, the media player seems to load the file (I see a progress bar), but it never progresses to play.

If I click the link to the file, I get a Quicktime icon with a question mark in the browser, but no playback controls. Hmmm...

For fun, I created a Resource, just a link to the mp3 file I uploaded, and that loads in a new page, with Quicktime controllers, and plays fine. So, I know the file is OK.

Anyway, is there a certain version of the podcast module one can use successfully with Moodle 1.5.4? Or is there some tweaking I need to do somewhere to get that I have to work?

If you want to see what I mean, please see my site. Podcast is is the main menu.

Thanks,

Jesse
In reply to Jesse Thorstad

by Thomas Dolsky -

All should work fine with 1.5.4.  Did you complete the directions at the top of the readme?  The AllowOverride All will fix the file play problem.  It looks as if the mp3 script is not running as a php script.  That should also fix the quicktime question mark problem.  Also keep in mind that IE caches these files so make sure you close IE or clear your cache after making any changes. 

The mimeinfo() fix also in the readme should fix your .m4a file issue. 

There are some more instructions here.

http://docs.moodle.org/en/course/mod/ipodcast

by Jesse Thorstad -
Thomas,

Thanks for the reply, and the cool module!

I did follow the readme directions as far as I could. I don't have access to much of the server config, since I'm using a hosting service. Is the AllowOverride All something I should ask them to do for me?

Thanks!

Jesse

by Michael Penney -
Hi Thomas, any idea whether this could work with iTunes University?

http://www.apple.com/education/solutions/itunes_u/

What I'm hoping for is to be able to link to files on iTunesU from within the course....
In reply to Michael Penney

by Julian Ridden -
I can't see why not.

This is submitted to iTunes via a url. So just changing that to the new iTU wouldnt be difficult.

It will come down to if iTU uses custom meta tags or not.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Thomas Dolsky -

I really don't don't enough about it to say yes or no.  I have read that web page before but it just doenst have any technical info on it. 

I'm sure it can be done and when we know more info we can see if any changes need to be made.

Pretty generic answer I know but all I could come up with.

by Keith Wilkinson -
Got it working so far to instructions on a test server. I get to the point in the instructions where it says:

Now paste that shortcut into the iTunes subscribe to ipodcast window.

What window is that? I have nothing to paste into! Help!
In reply to Keith Wilkinson

by Keith Wilkinson -
Found it - ignore me I hadn't enabled the rss feeds. Just paranoia setting in.

by Keith Wilkinson -

Still not working.

Have the link 'Add to iTunes' but it just tries to open a file (.pcast) on the server (running linux).

It would be nice to get this working

by Keith Wilkinson -

Ooops again

Just new to podcasting etc. It seems to work very well - nice job.

Instructions with screenshots might be a help. It would certainly stop me posting silly messages that I seem to answer myself - it's just a case of where to go and what to do next, and some indication of what success is.

Keith

by Thomas Dolsky -

There is always room for help in the documentation area.  If you have a good feel on what worked for you hit the wiki and document it for others. 

Documentation is always greatly appreciated.

Tom

by Thomas Dolsky -

If it asks you to open or save select open and when it asks for what program to open it with select iTunes and set it to always use iTunes to open the pcast extension.

Tom

by Keith Wilkinson -

Thanks Tom

It was just my understanding of the problem that was at fault i.e. not realising that iTunes was a downloadable piece of software from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download smile

Knowing that I have now managed to do all and I am very pleased with the results. Also choosing 'copy shortcut' from the rss/podcast feed and pasting the URL into the box that appears when you select 'Advanced->Subscribe to Podcast..' from the iTunes menu forgoes the need to select the 'Add to iTunes' link on the podcast page and the subsequent download of a file to your computer.

As for the wiki and documentation - I shall try my best to enlighten everybodies spirits with my crazy but successful attempts to get things working.

If I only had a brain I would be dangerous

Keith

Error Retreiving File

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi, the link to my uploaded MP3 gives the message "Error Retreiving File".

Maybe because it's got a weird address:

The file is uploaded through the iPodcast mudule to the folder

I guess "1" corresponds to "pdpodcast" (folder created in the iPodcast  panel)
http://www.domain.se/moodle/mod/ipodcast/file.mp3?file=/2/2/ipodcast/1/test.mp3
http://www.domain.se/moodle/moodledata3/2/ipodcast/pdpodcast/test.mp3

But to what does the two "2"-folders correspond (I suppose one of them is the course ID, but why two) ?
http://www.domain.se/moodle/mod/ipodcast/file.mp3?file=/2/2/ipodcast/1/test.mp3

If I put the address

directly into the browser address field it gets the MP3 just as it should.

----------------------------------------------------

Tested to create a new course and upload a podcast, with te same result. The address to the file becomes
http://www.domain.se/moodle/mod/ipodcast/file.mp3?file=/3/2/ipodcast/2/test.mp3
so, there's still the "2"-folder.

by john mcgrath -
Hi

I'd love to use this but cannot get any itune tags tab to appear - doh!

In reply to john mcgrath

by Thomas Dolsky -

In Administration » Configuration » Modules » Podcast

by Simon Bryan -
Trouble is I can't get in once I put the rrsslib.php file in place.
Just tried with the version from this site and had the same result.

Tried setting up without the rsslib.php file, using the original and all is OK until I use the new one. I set set ipodcast_enablerssitunes: to yes and then enabled the new rsslib.php file for the same result.

Howver found this in the Apache error log:
[client 10.192.0.254] PHP Warning:  get_rss_by_id(MAGPIE_DIRrss_fetch.inc):
 failed to open stream: No such file or directory in
/var/www/html/blocks/rss_client/block_rss_client.php on line 162,
referer: http://kirk.olmc.nsw.edu.au/mod/ipodcast/setupcourse.php?id=1

Line 162 of that file is:
 require_once(MAGPIE_DIR .'rss_fetch.inc');
I have this file:
/var/www/html/lib/magpie/rss_fetch.inc

Could it be that MAGPIE_DIR is not set properly?
In reply to Simon Bryan

by Thomas Dolsky -

Im not sure what you mean by enabled the new rss_lib file.  If you are replacing the moodle/lib/rsslib.php with the one in ipodcast then things will get broke.  Currently it isn't necassary to replace the rsslib.php file.  And I really have no idea what magpie is.

put all your moodle files back to stock then install the podcast module and see if all works.

Tom

by Simon Bryan -
Oh, OK, but quoting you in another part of this thread were you gave instructions on installing the module....."Backup your original moodle/lib/rsslib.php by renaming it to moodle/lib/rsslib-orig.php .  Then copy the new rsslib over from moodle/mod/ipodcast/lib/rsslib.php to moodle/lib/rsslib.php"

If that is not neccessary, then it is installed! I better have a look at using it smile

by Simon Bryan -
OK, noe that I have read that instruction carefully I see why I had that isue. Have now successfully installed version 2.8and all seesm OK, I can even see it in iTunes and it downloads the 'Comment' from Moodle.
However I can't get it to download the sound file and if I click on teh file in Moodle, it tries to load into Qucktime in the browser but fails with a Question MArk dispalayed over the Quicktime logo.
Can't see any entries in either the httpd log or the httpd_error log, except that I don't have a theme/pix/ipodcast folder so I get errors from that, but that should not really matter.

by john mcgrath -
Thanks - now they appear but in itunes i get the error 'There was a problem adding 'podcast test ' to itunes

The file might be corrupt or a file type that itunes cannot play'

It is a small mp3 file that itunes will play  - at least before it is uploaded.

thanks again

Joohn
In reply to john mcgrath

by Simon Bryan -
I just solved a very similar issue two problems:
1.I had not edited the lib.php file to add the filetypes
2. Although I had set the .htaccess for the mod/ipodcast folder there was anoverriding one in the webroot directory the next level up.
In reply to Simon Bryan

by john mcgrath -

Thanks - but I see no mention of editing the lib.php file in the install instructions. Edit in what way?

Can you send me your .htaccess file to copy? - I cannot get access to httpd.conf on my server but I'm told I can overide it with a .htaccess file - is this true?

In reply to john mcgrath

by Simon Bryan -
Neither did I, Julian gave me a heads up on this, I think it was mentioned for older versions, but seems to still be relevant add to the lib.php file:
        'mp3'  => array ('type'=>'audio/mpeg', 'icon'=>'audio.gif'),
        'm4a'  => array ('type'=>'audio/x-m4a', 'icon'=>'audio.gif'),
        'm4b'  => array ('type'=>'audio/x-m4b', 'icon'=>'audio.gif'),
        'm4v'  => array ('type'=>'video/x-m4v', 'icon'=>'video.gif'),
I already had the first line, when I duplicated it, all I got was a blank screen so check carefully.

In fact I realise I did not use the .htacess I used the directives in the httpd.conf (nice to have your own server). However provided httpd.conf is setup to allow the .htaccess file to over rirde then you can. That would be normal on a hosting service. I simply put AllowOverRide All in the directive.

I have also read elsewher in this thread about modifying the basic .htaccess file that comes with the distribution.
In reply to Simon Bryan

by john mcgrath -

I modified the .htaccess file and it worked - thanks

Pleased as I am a last glitch is that the podcast appears as "bla bla bla podcast for week 0" - how can I get rid of that "for week 0" bit?

Re: New Podcasting module - updated

by Thomas Dolsky -

****Release notes***
*****v.20

• uploadpopup now refreshes parent window
  • fixed duration tag not being included in rss feed
  • backuplib.php now backs up podcasts,podcast course settings, podcast views, and podcast comments
  • deleting podcast now deletes the media file
  • fixed edit button error in podcast list
  • The attachment edit box can have an external url typed in it.  only links that start with "http://" or "https://" currently, and the length field will be empty
  • you may get an error on upgrade depending on whether .19 or .18 is currently installed.  Just ignore the error it should cause a problem.  From this version forward the upgrade script will function properly

*****v.19
*fixed the deleting and reinstalling module bug

by Thomas Dolsky -

Another new one

****Release notes***
*****v.23
02/07/06 Tom Dolsky     - Ran the feed through feed validator and made several necassary changes
02/07/06 Tom Dolsky     - Keywords now separated by commas - it will replace all the spaces with commas on upgrade
     Also make sure to copy the new language file over it has the space comma verbage changed
02/06/06 Tom Dolsky     - Added a subscribe link for a on click itunes subscribe

by Julian Ridden -
Have updated the Playpen site to v23 and got to say.."Looking Good".

No immediate bugs to report. Ill give it a good shakedown tonight.

Re: New Podcasting module (small problem - I think)

by Jason Hollowell -
I'd first like to say that I am so greatful for the development of this. I wish I had more technical expertise so I could help out with things like this but... sad

I have installed the mod with no problems except for one small one (I think it's small smile )

When I add the podcast in my Moodle everything goes according to the explanation in the readme file but when I add the rss link to iTunes I get an error saying that there is either no audio file or only a text file and I cannot hear the test podcast that I made. I think it probably has to do with me not understanding the following line in the readme file:

"Make sure to AllowOverride All(or enough to get "AddType" to function) on /mod/ipodcast folder. "

I thought that meant I needed to change the permissions of the podcast folder to 777 which I did but maybe I was mistaken??

Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Jason

P.S. Here is the exact error message that iTunes gives me:

"The URL might point to text-only episodes, or contain file types that iTunes cannot play." and if I click on the RSS box found at the top right of the screen after clicking on Podcasts in the activity window I get a bunch of xml with one line toward the bottom that says:
"<description>Error reading RSS data</description>"

P.P.S. My podcast file is in mp3 format. I am using Moodle 1.5.3+

One more thing (sorry) I noticed that of the two settings present/visible in the site wide admin area for this mod, the first one is current set to "No" and I cannot change it and the second one is also set to "No" but it is changable and also has the following information to the right of the Yes/No toggle:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/******/public_html/english/lib/moodlelib.php(4417) : eval()'d code on line 1

****** was my user name so I chnaged it.  english is the name of my Moodle installation.
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Darren Smith -
Regarding the allowoverride - which webserver are you running moodle on? There are suggestions in this thread for IIS and Apache - or is it on a hosted server?

Darren
In reply to Darren Smith

by Jason Hollowell -
Darren,

It's running on a hosted server that uses Apache and they informed me that everything is set up to accept an .htaccess file so I put one in the ipodcast folder with the appropriate string in it (I think) I then I got an Internal Server Error when I tried to access my podcast that I set up earlier. Deleted the .htaccess file and everything was back to normal. iTunes still won't play the RSS that I was able to set up and I have the errors I mentioned earlier (when clicking on the RSS box and in the mod settings from admin area...

Any ideas?

Thanks for responding smile

Jason

by Darren Smith -
Is your site open to guests without a password? I wonder if that would make a difference? If not perhaps allow it, test it in itunes and then switch it off again? That may help narrow things down.

Darren
In reply to Darren Smith

by Jason Hollowell -
Darren,

Thanks again. Actually my site is not open for guest login. Well, one class allows guest login but that's it. I'm not sure that I understand how that would affect things but at any rate I was going to change the setting temporarily and when I went looking in the admin area for where I change the setting I can't find it smile It's been so long since I messed with it that I guess I've forgotten smile

Strangely enough however, I found a setting in the admin area under "Variables" that says "enablerssfeeds" and it was off. When I turned it on and went back to my class with the podcast in it I now get a different error when I click on the rss box in the top right of the window: Here is the error

Error retrieving top category 60 http://kokoroexchange.com/english Moodle http://www.moodle.org/ en &#xA9;2006 Kokoro Exchange International http://kokoroexchange.com/english 144 144 JLH Admin JLH Admin jlh@kokoroexchange.com no

I don't understand it....?

The setting inside the ipodcast mod in the admin area still displays the error mentioned earlier:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/********/public_html/english/lib/moodlelib.php(4417) : eval()'d code on line 1

I'm lost sad Gotta go out today on business so maybe I'll have a eureka moment while I'm away from the computer smile

Jason

P.S. Here is a capture of the admin area settings window. Does anybody know what these are supposed to be set to? Both "yes", both "no" or some combination? smile

Attachment adminsetting.jpg

Svar: New Podcasting module v23 error report

by Anders Berggren -
iPodcast Error report
Found on Moodle homepage (Administration of Blocks also disappeared)

Warning: get_rss_by_id(MAGPIE_DIRrss_fetch.inc): failed to open stream:
No such file or directory in:
\easyphp\www\moodle\blocks\rss_client\block_rss_client.php on line 160
The problem disappeared when I restored the original lib/rsslib.php

Found in Setting for Podcast Module
Parse error:
parse error, unexpected T_STRING in
c:\easyphp\www\moodle\lib\moodlelib.php(4702) : eval()'d code on line 1

I got this when trying to access Podcast from Activities:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare ipodcast_add_itunes_tags()
(previously declared in c:\easyphp\www\moodle\mod\ipodcast\rsslib.php:28)
in c:\easyphp\www\moodle\lib\rsslib.php on line 28

I got rid of the problem below by adding:
<directory>AllowOverride All </directory > to apache/conf/httpd.conf
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator,
admin@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and
anything you might have done that may have caused the error. More
information about this error may be available in the server error log.
In reply to Anders Berggren

Re: Svar: New Podcasting module v23 error report

by Thomas Dolsky -

It looks like you copied the wrong rsslib.php file .  There is one in the main ipodcast directory and one in the ipodcast/lib directory.  The two are very different.   ipodcast_add_itunes_tags()  is defined in the one you shouldn't have copied thats how I could tell.  Go into the lib directory and copy the one in there or grab a fresh copy.  

The only difference in the new lib/rsslib.php is the addition of the guid tag which iTunes requires.

The above is all based on moodle 1.5.3 in version 1.6 some things could be broke by copying my rsslib over but Im not sure I am only running 1.5.3

Tom

Svar: Re: Svar: New Podcasting module v23 error report

by Anders Berggren -
Your analysis seems to be correct.
I am running Moodle 1.6. I got this error message though:
Found in settings for iPod Module:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in
c:\easyphp\www\moodle\lib\moodlelib.php(4702) : eval()'d code on line 1
So far so good leende!
Cheers, Anders

Re: New Podcasting module v23 error report

by Thomas Dolsky -

Looks like 1.6 has an issue with the language file.  Try the included one and report if it fixes it.  If it does I will roll into the next version.

Thanks

Svar: Re: New Podcasting module v23 error report

by Anders Berggren -
I tried updating ipodcast.php but I found a renewed
error message in the Settings for the Module:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in
c:\easyphp\www\moodle\lib\moodlelib.php(4702) : eval()'d code
on line 1
Cheers, Anders

by Thomas Dolsky -

OOPPSS I sent you the same file you already had .    Try this one.

Sorry about that

by Julian Ridden -
I am running your latest build on a nightly of 1.6 and can say I have no erros appearing on my install.

by Darren Smith -
I have a question if that's ok: Was it a conscious decision not to use the built in media player?

Our podcasts are currently duplicated in our moodle courses and that allows students to listen to them via the VLE using the built in player as well as subscribing using, say iTunes, or download the MP3 file directly from the web.

A little play button next to the attachment link in the view podcast tab should be fairly straight forward to implement (I would imagine!) as it is already in moodle and add even more value to this superb add-on.

Thoughts?

Darren
In reply to Darren Smith

by Jack Johnson -

I would take it one step further, and I think it would be easy to add podcast subscription functionality into the current RSS reader.

By providing a link to the enclosures, the audio/video would open with the default application on the client workstation, and providing a link to the feed would facilitate students subscribing to the feed.  That way teachers could provide information and easy access to podcasts that were generated either outside the organization or served outside the Moodle framework.

by Thomas Dolsky -

New ipodcast

Make sure and copy the updated language file it has an updated text and a bug fix.

Your original lib/rsslib.php can be restored.  I moved all needed change into the local rsslib.php

Hope this helps Darren

*****v.24

02/19/06 Tom Dolsky - Repaired make directory function

02/19/06 Tom Dolsky - Added embedded media player

02/19/06 Tom Dolsky - Added usemediafilter module setting.

02/19/06 Tom Dolsky - Fixed quotes causing error on module settings page.

02/19/06 Tom Dolsky - Added media filter settings text.

02/19/06 Tom Dolsky - Moved all needed rsslib functions to this file ipodcast should now work without replacing lib/rsslib.php

by Norbert Berger -
On installation I am getting the following error message for ipodcast_enablerssitunes:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in c:\eap17\www\lib\moodlelib.php(4460) : eval()'d code on line 1
regardless of whether it is switched on or off.

???
Seems to be the same as above. How do I fix it? Moodle says enabler rss variable is set to enabled.

Thanks for your help

Norbert

In reply to Norbert Berger

by Thomas Dolsky -

Here is a new zip file.  Copy the lang/en/ipodcast.php into /lang/en/ and hopefully all i finally good.

by Norbert Berger -
All's well. Sorry for the trouble. Many thanks.

Norbert

by Matt Shaul -
Thomas -

Firstly, thanks for the hard work and wonderful podcasting module!  The higher-ups were just asking about Moodle's podcasting capabilities.

I installed version .23 on a test box and all worked perfectly.  I then installed version .25 last night on the live box and am getting this error:

Call to undefined function:  rss_add_enclosures() in /usr/moodle/mod/ipodcast/rsslib.php on line 550

I noticed the function exists in version .23, in your rsslib.php.  In .25, however, it does not.  Nor does it exist in the existing, standard Moodle rsslib.php.

Not sure how to proceed.  Thanks for any assistance!

Matt

In reply to Matt Shaul

by Christina Keing -

Problem can be solved if you append the following fucntion to ipodcast/rsslib.php:

function rss_add_enclosures($item){

$returnstring = '';

// list of media file extensions and their respective mime types
 // could/should we put this to some more central place?
 //Should be the mime types
 $mediafiletypes = array(
  'mp3'  => 'audio/mpeg',
  'm3u'  => 'audio/x-mpegurl',
  'pls'  => 'audio/x-mpegurl',
  'ogg'  => 'application/ogg',
  'm4b'  => 'audio/x-m4b',
  'mpeg' => 'video/mpg',
  'mpg'  => 'video/mpg',
  'mp4'  => 'video/mp4',
  'm4v'  => 'video/m4v',
  'mov'  => 'video/quicktime',
  'avi'  => 'video/x-msvideo',
  'wmv'  => 'video/x-msvideo'
 );

if(!(isset($item->enclosure))) {
     $rss_text = $item->description;
  //If the enclosure variable is not set then pull the enclosure out of the description
  // take into account attachments (e.g. from forum)
  if (isset($item->attachments) && is_array($item->attachments)) {
   foreach ($item->attachments as $attachment){
    $rss_text .= " <a href='$attachment'/>"; //just to make sure the regexp groks it
   }
  }

// regular expression (hopefully) matching all links to media files
  $medialinkpattern = '@href\s*=\s*(\'|")(\S+(' . implode('|', array_keys($mediafiletypes)) . '))\1@Usie';

if (!preg_match_all($medialinkpattern, $rss_text, $matches)){
   return $returnstring;
  }

// loop over matches of regular expression
  for ($i = 0; $i < count($matches[2]); $i++){
   $url = htmlspecialchars($matches[2][$i]);
   $type = $mediafiletypes[strtolower($matches[3][$i])];              
   $length = $item->length;
   // the rss_*_tag functions can't deal with methods, unfortunately
   $returnstring .= "    <enclosure url='$url' length='$length' type='$type' />\n";
  }
 } else {
        $type = mimeinfo("type", $item->enclosure) ;
  $url = $item->enclosure;          
  $length = $item->length;
  $returnstring .= "      <enclosure url='$url' length='$length' type='$type' />\n";
 }

return $returnstring; 
}

by Christina Keing -
Thanks very much for the module.  So, this allows only teacher to upload their file and podcast to the students.  Is that possible to allow students themselves to upload and podcast their media files?  Also, are there ways to control the rights to subscribe those rrs feed to just by a particular group of students?

by Darren Smith -
Thanks, Thomas. Very much appreciated smile

Thing is ... I'm not seeing it sad

Is the media button working for everybody else? I suspect it may just be me somehow.

Darren
In reply to Darren Smith

by Thomas Dolsky -

I would like to figure this one out before I post .26  .  I have installed on two new servers (both windows server 2003)  and tested on macs(safari and firefox)  and windows (firefox and explorer)  and all instances worked ok.

A couple of quick notes

the media player only works with mp3's and mov's  the only setting is usemediafilters needs to be enabled in the podcast module settings.  There is also a config setting "filter_mediaplugin_ignore_mp3"  which would keep it from functioning.  I can't find where it is set or cleared in the configuration.  If that variable is defined in your config table it would keep it from working.  I am going to look at removing it from the podcast module.

Tom

by Darren Smith -
the only setting is usemediafilters needs to be enabled in the podcast module settings.

I am soooooo sorry blush. I should have looked deeper. Really sorry. It's working now. Thanks.

Right at the top you said:

Here is a first release of a podcasting module i have developed to work with a content recording software we provide to schools.  The idea for our content recorder is to have one touch video content recording into moodle.

This part really interests me (as if the podcast bit wasn't good enough!!). I will be starting a new role in september in a languages school and this would be fantastic for them. Are you anticipating it would work soley for podcasts andx teachers or intergrate with other areas of moodle (forums, audio assignment submissions and audio feedback on assignments is what I am thinking).

If you have an idea of price then feel free to contact me by e-mail. I don't know how much I will have to spend yet but I am starting to look around for ideas as to what I want to do and this could be right up my street.

Regards,

Darren

by Kyle Brown -
I know there are only some formats that can be used but m4a is a format that i get when I use garageband and export it to iTunes. It plays in Itunes and in Quicktime. So wouldn't there be a way to edit the filelib.php to see m4a and upload m4a?
In reply to Kyle Brown

by Thomas Dolsky -

I added the m4a and m4b file formats to version .26 I will be posting shortly.  There are a couple of fixes needed in the filelib.php to make them operate properly.

More later today

by Thomas Dolsky -

Is someone could please test the m4a and m4b formats and report I would appreciate it.  I am hoping this on wont require any mods to the moodle/lib/rsslib.php

*****v.26

02/28/06 Tom Dolsky - Added m4a and m4b file types

02/28/06 Tom Dolsky - Moved remainder functions out of lib/rsslib.php dependancy

by Micheal Swank -
I have successfully integrated the podcasting intot RSS feeds but not using m4a or m4b...as qucktime movies (.mov) files. Otherwise i get the coding instead of the visuals I seek. You can check it out at http://liquidlearner.com on the home page without registering to the site.

by Chris Potter -
Amazing work... your contributions to this project are fantastic and worthwhile! Thank you.
In reply to Chris Potter

by Julian Ridden -
It has been a while since I poste in this thread and really wanted to take the time to second Chris' comments.

This module is brilliant and I would certainly like to see it become part of a Moodle build in the future.

Many thanks for all your hard work and especially for sharing it back with the community.

Uploading

by Mike Hathaway -
I am working with the module on a IIS 6 server, so I will not report the module not working probably since I plan on blaming microsoft for my problems. Any how. What is the beth method for posting podcasts? Uploading an MP3 into moodle is pretty much out since a 30 meg file passes the 2 meg upload limmit, or is this something that is going to be worked on.

Mike Hathaway
In reply to Mike Hathaway

Re: Uploading

by Melissa Fernandez -
I'm also running Moodle on IIS and am using this module with no problem.  We circumvent the uploading process by simply sharing the appropriate course folder and allowing teachers to map the drive.  Then they simply need to save the mp3 into the drive and it becomes available to choose by the podcasting module.
In reply to Mike Hathaway

Re: Uploading

by Thomas Dolsky -

The 2 meg limit can be increased with php.ini settings.  Do a search in the forums for examples.  I run mine at 100meg.  Sharing the drive as Melissa mentioned is another option.  I don't have any plans to work on that issue in the near future.

Tom

by Jon Streeter -

could you clarify what the restrictions are on access to these feeds? 

Are students who are currently registered to the course the only ones who have access to the podcasts?

What happens when a student who has subscribed to a feed is removed from the course - will they still have access to the podcasts?

I work in an environment where the instructors would be fine with their students having the podcasts but want to restrict access to non-students. ideally they would like to have some sort of DRM so that students couldnt pass the downloaded video files around to others but have it tied to their particular itunes/ipod setup - like when you buy a song through itunes.

It sounds, and is - restrictive.  But that is the nature of this university system. Any chance of something like this being available?

-jon

In reply to Jon Streeter

by Thomas Dolsky -

Currently there aren't many restrictions.  And since its all based on a url and no sort of authentication its just not very secure.

As it stands now after a student or teacher logins in they must be enrolled in the course to get the rss feed link.  Once the feed has been subscribed to, I havent checked if removing a student removes access.  But the user course and podcast is encoded in the URL and it checks to make sure the user is a teacher or enrolled as a student.  Again I haven't done much checking to validate this.  Any takers on doing some testing in this area.  Also the visible invisible settings fall into this unchecked area of podcasts.

And even if all of the above worked properly there is no way to prevent just downloading the media file and sending it to someone else.  Only a Digital Rights Management system can do that.  Im not very familiar with those systems But I would think if you can apply it to a media file the ipodcast wouldn't care that its in there. 

Im interested in taking that area further since I too think its important to lock in media to only the intended viewers.  But currently this module is in its infancy but plan on continuing development.

Tom

by Jon Streeter -

Hmm - there may be some creative possibilities for pseudo-protection here.

consider the following suggestions:

1. Incorporate the userID into the url for the feed - this will allow tracking of the number of times that the feed is accessed for a particular user.  This would probably be combined with some sort of hash of the users email address or stored GUID or something so that people couldn't just enter another userid in the url.
  2. limit the number of 'accesses' or resource downloads from a single user to a server specified amount for each podcast - allow this to be manually reset by the user or teacher from withing the course site.  Once the limit has been reached you could alter the xml to send an audio clip saying that the access limit has been reached and please return to the course to reset.. or something like that.

I think that such a scheme would allow the typical student who will download the audio or video once and then have it in their itunes or ipod for personal listening to enjoy it - while preventing a xml url to be distributed allowing many many people to access the feed.

I acknowledge the people will be able to distribute the files just by copying them. But if i could at least show this level of 'security' - meaning that not just anyone can subscribe to the feed in a useful way. then that would be a start.

Is such as solution feasible?

-Jon

In reply to Jon Streeter

by Thomas Dolsky -

Thanks for the input jon

The userid is currently in the url.  And the views are currently tracked by user and date.  The teacher can click on the views tab and see who viewed what and how many times.  A hash isn't a bad idea but no matter what is in the url it won't be in anyway secure.  If a student sends their URL or XML file to someone else then that person can access it.

An access limit isnt a bad idea I will think about that one.   The only way this could work is if the xml changed with a new URL. 

I acknowledge the lack of security on the media downloads but at this point I want to research and get as much feedback as possible before attempting to move on.  The main limiting factor is the lack of security in the rss readers.  Especially iTunes which holds 80% of the market ( I hear anyway).  Since there isn't any authentication method in the readers there can't be any true security in the ipodcast module.

Good stuff here

Good ideas,  Good input, makes good solutions

Thanks

Tom

by Jon Streeter -

another solution may be to require that the user be currently logged into the course in order for the media to be downloaded.

this may be easier to implement.

-jon

In reply to Jon Streeter

by Thomas Dolsky -

That would basically break the automatic downloading of podcasts with iTunes. 

Not really the direction I am heading with this module.  Its top priority in my mind is posting media files for podcast subscription.  I think the security thing may need a patch to wait on the podcast spec to catch up.

Tom

by Jon Streeter -

This is true, however the setup that we have is not that we are creating live content that will be updated periodically, but rather there is a series of lectures that have already been recorded that, once a student joins, we would want them to have access to.

So essentially, they subscribe to the feed and it will already include all the lectures they need. they can just choose to download them while they are connected to the site and then go.  It kinda turns the feed into a 'playlist' of lectures.

I know this is not the standard way that dynamic feeds work. but it serves as a quick way to distribute video lectures.

It may be that my situation is so esoteric that it is not worth addressing in a broad fashion.  I can just put the files in a folder for download and then can dl them and then drag the files to itunes.. . but the rss feed is so much more simple.

-jon

by Richard Kassissieh -
iTunes supports HTTP authentication, which I use on our podcast feed. Since I already run Moodle within a HTTP-protected intranet, this would continue to work well for us. For other installations, you could protect just the podcast directory.

Richard

(Apologies if this was already mentioned. I jumped in mid-thread.)

by Thomas Dolsky -

ipodcast is getting close to being a real module.  The main highlight of this version is backup and restore works.  Its the first version with backup and restore so if anyone could test and report I would appreciate it.

*****v.27

03/24/06 Tom Dolsky - Podcast delete now deletes matching views and comments

03/24/06 Tom Dolsky - Fixed course delete bug. Now course delete also deletes podcasts

03/24/06 Tom Dolsky - backuplib.php First implementation and testing

03/24/06 Tom Dolsky - restorelib.php First implementation and testing

Error Unknown parameter type: 0

by Norbert Berger -

Installed v 27 on a 1.6 Beta 1 installation and get the following error message when I try to select a podcast activity. Continue take sme back to the home page sad

Re: Error Unknown parameter type: 0

by Penny Leach -
I get that error too. I'm currently having a look at this module.

Is there any chance this will go into contrib? It would be really great to track it using CVS rather than trying to figure out which version to download.

And of course, then people can commit bugfixes and such straight in to CVS smile

In reply to Penny Leach

by Norbert Berger -
Has anyone found a fix for this? Has an update been posted? Where? Any help would be much appreciated.

Norbert

by Mark Burnet -
I see this in Beta 3 version as well when creating a new podcast.  At one point using an earlier version of 1.6, I was able to create new podcasts.  However after an update I lost the tab functions of the podcast but could still play the podcast.  Finally, after upgrading to Beta 2 and 3, I began seeing the "...type 0" error.  I have deleted and reinstalled the SQL files and the module files with the same results.  My system has been through the UTF conversion.
In reply to Mark Burnet

by Thomas Dolsky -

I am super sorry about missing this post I was using an RSS reader to watch the Forum and it locked on me.

Here is the Unknown parameter fix.  I did a quick check with 1.6 and it seemed to function.  If everyone could give it a rundown and see if I missed something I would appreciate it.

I am going to work on getting in the CVS soon so situations like this can be resolved if I am unavailable.

Thanks for version 28, - new issue: error retrieving file

by Norbert Berger -
Hi Thomas

Many thanks for this. I managed to isntall it without a glitch and tried a test file. With media plug-in active, the flashplayer plays the file OK, but the link results in an error message: error retrieving fie, which displays repeatedly down the page. You can check it out on http://englishstudydirect.com/vle/mod/ipodcast/view.php?id=11

Any ideas how I can fix this?

This happens regardless of whether you are logged in as a user or just a guest.

Thanks for all your efforts again.

Norbert

by Penny Leach -
Hi - attaching postgres support... this is just database setup stuff, if there's mysql specific code in the module itself we're going to run into trouble, but this is the intital setup code.

Again, once this goes into contrib, I can help out by committing straight smile

Re: Error 1136

by Justin Bledsoe -

I have tried the latest version of your podcast, but I keep getting the following errors.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display VALUES ('ipodcast', 'view', 'ipodcast', 'name')  

1136: Column count doesn't match value count at row 1

Error

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display VALUES ('ipodcast', 'add entry', 'ipodcast', 'name')  

Error

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display VALUES ('ipodcast', 'update entry', 'ipodcast', 'name')  

Error

In reply to Justin Bledsoe

by Stephen Bourget -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I ran into the same problem...

It seems to be caused by an error in the ipodcast\db\mysql.sql file

The lines:

INSERT INTO prefix_log_display VALUES ('ipodcast', 'view', 'ipodcast', 'name');
INSERT INTO prefix_log_display VALUES ('ipodcast', 'add entry', 'ipodcast', 'name');
INSERT INTO prefix_log_display VALUES ('ipodcast', 'update entry', 'ipodcast', 'name');

should be:

INSERT INTO prefix_log_display (module, action, mtable, field) VALUES ('ipodcast', 'view', 'ipodcast', 'name');
INSERT INTO prefix_log_display (module, action, mtable, field) VALUES ('ipodcast', 'add entry', 'ipodcast', 'name');
INSERT INTO prefix_log_display (module, action, mtable, field) VALUES ('ipodcast', 'update entry', 'ipodcast', 'name');

I've attached the updated mysql file.

I hope this helps.

-Steve
In reply to Stephen Bourget

by Art Lader -
I am running Moodle 1.6 Beta 5 and am getting the same error:

Error

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display VALUES ('ipodcast', 'update entry', 'ipodcast', 'name')  

I have tried the updated mysql file (post above this one), but continue to get the error.

Any other ideas?

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -
Woohoo! Tried again (and again and again and again) and it seems to have worked. smile

-- Art

회신: Re: Error Unknown parameter type: 0

by 최 병우 -
I have a error of installing. What is 1062 error??? How I can solve it? Please give a answer to me!!!

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display (module, action, mtable, field) VALUES ('ipodcast', 'view', 'ipodcast', 'name')
1062: Duplicate entry 'ipodcast-view' for key 'mdl_logdisp_modact_uix'

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display (module, action, mtable, field) VALUES ('ipodcast', 'add entry', 'ipodcast', 'name')
1062: Duplicate entry 'ipodcast-add entry' for key 'mdl_logdisp_modact_uix'

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display (module, action, mtable, field) VALUES ('ipodcast', 'update entry', 'ipodcast', 'name')
1062: Duplicate entry 'ipodcast-update entry' for key 'mdl_logdisp_modact_uix'

by Larry Elchuck -
I'm experiencing the same issue with v.35 on Moodle 1.7+ when I try to add a podcast activity.
Unknown parameter type: 0

Is there a simple fix for this?

thanks
larry

by William Waller -
I am running Moodle 1.5.3+ on Windows 2003 Server and Xampp. Installation of iPodcast module was textbook but when I create a podcast and subscribe in itunes, nothing happens. When I try to view the feed, I get the following error message. Also, when I try to play the file, I get still get the ? even after applying changes in the previous posts.

Any help is appreciated...
Error Message

In reply to William Waller

by Thomas Dolsky -

The filesize warning is caused by the the filesize() routine not finding or not having security rights to read the file givin.  The first I would do is follow the path above c:/apachefriends/xampp/htdocs/moodledata/39/ipodcast/Goldeneye.mp3

and make sure the file is there.  If it is then it must be a permissions error of some sort.  An update soon will check for the file existing and give the appropriate error.  The XML error is caused by the embedded php error.

Tom

by William Waller -
I checked the permissions and didn't see anything unusual. I did notice in the error message that the slashes on the first reference to the path is different than the second reference. How can I fix this?... 
In reply to William Waller

by Thomas Dolsky -

I don't think the slashes are a problem PHP interprets them for you.

PHP definately can't find the file.  Can you  go to the folder with the mp3 using windows explorer and copy the path out of the address bar and send it to me also copy and paste the file name if you could.  Something is cuasing php to not stat the file and I can't find the issue without some more data.

Tom

by Erich Nielsen -
Is it possible to use this module as a block as well?
I see that the podcast-module has great potential as a part of a course, but it can be a great marketing tool for the site as well (imagine if we could get Martin's interview as a podcast on the moodle site as well smile

All the best from a cold but sunny Stockholm,

Erich N

by Thom Stricklin -
Hey Thomas,

Great module!  Hope I can help contribute to the further development of it, though I'm not sure just yet what's left to be done!

I did have one suggestion.  The files 'file.mp3','file.mp4','file.mov', et al., are all more or less just duplicates of 'file.php'.  Instead of duplicating all that code, why not just store the filename as a variable and call an include('file.php')?  Oughtta save the hassle of changing and renaming files every time you make a change.

My coworker and I might have some more suggestions in the near future...  But like I said, great job!

How to add the actual podcast file / link?

by Paul Murphy -

Hi

I have installed the Podcast module.

How to actually link in the podcast with its internet address?

or does one  drop the mp3 here?

and Moodle generates the RSS ?

thx

Pau Murphy

Language Key

by Michael Curtin -

This module looks awesome.  Thanks for your work on it.

Why isn't it in the list of modules on the moodle web site?  I think even modules that are in development are listed there.

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&perpage=200&search=&sort=44&order=ASC

In reply to Michael Curtin

by Thomas Dolsky -

Well basically because it hasn't been added.  Its looking like adding to the CVS and getting a discussion just for podcasting is a priority.

where is the RSS for the mp3?

by Paul Murphy -

Hi,

I installed the Podcast module, uploaded the mp3 , linked it as the attachment.

Now where do I find the RSS URL?

-Dynamic on the fly per user rss feed.

thanx.

Paul Murphy

Language Key

In reply to Paul Murphy

Re: where is the RSS for the mp3?

by John Patten -

Hi Paul...

From what I've seen, you can find it if you click the "Podcast" link from your "Activities" block, upper right side of the window.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
A small thought - could this be put into a /contrib folder and in the modules database. It just took me ages to find the code smile

EDIT:
and it doesn't install on Moodle 1.6:

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display VALUES ('ipodcast', 'view', 'ipodcast', 'name')
In reply to Howard Miller

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Ok - I hope nobody minds but I have put the ipodcast code into...

contrib/ipodcast

I have also fixed the msql bug inserting entries into the mdl_log_display table. It now seems to install cleanly in STABLE_16.

EDIT:

...and I've added Penny's PostgreSQL setup scripts into there too.

by Thomas Dolsky -

The CVS stuff is nice but currently I don't use CVS.  So unfortunately I now I have to get going on that to integrate all the current changes.

The PostgreSQL stuff wont work until som MySQL specific stuff is removed.  Since I have no way to test it and the iPodcast module is going through big changes in its infancy I was reluctant to put it in. 

Tom

by Howard Miller -
Ok,

Can we persuade you to use CVS?? It's good for you once the suffering and confusion is over with tongueout

The changes I made were only three lines in db/mysql.sql. I've actually found a few more small problems, but I didn't want to make any changes until I got your reaction.

With it in CVS, though, I suspect that Penny will probably be able to modify it to make PostgreSQL work, which is win/win surely?

Anyway, sorry if I have jumped the gun and caused you grief.

by Norbert Berger -
So where can I download a zip file, please? I see loads of individual files in CVS but messed up everything when I tried to download and copy the lot into mod/ipodcast. And installing v28 still gives me the erros described above.

BTW, have upgraded to 1.6 Beta 5. Had managed to get v28 to work in 1,53+, but no joy in 1.6 Beta 5 yet.

Help would be much appreciated.

Norbert

by Tim Allen -
Download it here.

Tim.

In reply to Tim Allen

by Ian Scott -

I've dowloaded the latest version  2006032405 - though people are talking of 24.

I've found two problems - help files all point to ipodcast.html and not the correct file.

I notice to get the feed you must be logged on even if the course (or front page) is public.

new iPodcast Download link

by Julian Ridden -
Today I have added the iPodcast activity to the Moodle 'Modules and plugins' database. It can be directly accessed from the following link

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=378

I will endeavor to always keep Thomas' most recent version linked there.

JR
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: new iPodcast Download link

by Brett Hinton -
Julian,

I followed the link and it gives an error (as if it doesn't exist).  Also, when I just go to the Modules and Plugins database activity and look at the list, the iPodcast module doesn't show up.  Is there a delay between when it is submitted and when it is displayed?

Brett
In reply to Brett Hinton

Re: new iPodcast Download link

by Julian Ridden -
Hmm, didnt think so. Maybe it is in an approval process. Keep an eye on it. Can see no reason why it would be denied.

Re: new iPodcast Download link--PLAYING MP3 UPLOADED

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi Julian and others,

I am new to podcasting and need some help.

I have installed the Podcast module YHis went perfectly. I then added it to a course.

Loaded a file (MP3). Saved it.

Tried to play it. The file did nopt play the download link of the file loaded in Gozilla appeared.

Some where I had read linking it to Itunes etc. During installation I did not do any such thing.

I guess

I do not know how to play the file.  Looking for help from all.

Regards

Garry

by Brent Zuch -

I am trying to get the add to itunes option working. When I click on the add to itunes link. The ipodcast gets added to itunes, but their is no content for the cast.  Itunes reports no playable episodes. Also, when using a browser with an RSS feed option and subscribe to the feed, I recieve and RSS error.

In reply to Brent Zuch

by Jim McGowan -
I had similar problems with the feed - Safari & Firefox (on OS X) would read them OK, but iTunes would complain that it wasn't a proper podcast feed. I looked through the 2 files mentioned earlier in this thread (/config.php & lib/filelib.php) for the newlines that could cause problems & and found one at the end of each file. After getting rid of these iTunes could parse the feed OK.

Jim

by Keith Wilkinson -

I am using linux suse 9.3, moodle 1.6 stable, apache 2, php 4.3, mysql 5

I have installed the module as per instructions (except for Allow Overides - need to be on the server for this). All permissions on all podcast files set to 777. I have a single course in a test site in moodle - nothing else.

The module installs, the database is populated.

When I try to add the Podcast activity in the course I get a 403 error with the url 'http://.../vle/mod/ipodcast/setupcourse.php?id=2&sesskey=zgzsykQ28Z' 

Any ideas why?

Keith

by Loren Workman -
Not to sound like a dolt and please forgive me aIm new to moodle

The DB istillations seam be done fine but im getting

"Module db: /home/school/public_html/School/mod/db/version.php was not readable"

i have changed the permistion but still get the same thing over and over...

Fixed that issue then this one comes up

"Module db: /home/school/public_html/School/mod/db/db/mysql.php was not readable"
In reply to Loren Workman

by Loren Workman -
Im still getting

"Module db: /home/school/public_html/School/mod/db/db/mysql.php was not readable"

And with any mod im installing im getting a modulename in the drop down in "Add and activity"

by Thomas Dolsky -

Im not sure what that is. It appears to be a different module not ipodcast.

mod/db/db/  mould be a module named "db"

the module name error is caused by the language file not getting moved to the moodle/lang directory.

Follow the readme for directions.

Tom

by Loren Workman -

The Lang files are in the right place.

lang/help/ipodcast -> lanf/help

ipodcast.php -> lang

by Thomas Dolsky -

the ipodcast.php would go in the

/moodle/lang/<whatever lang you have selected/

and same with help

/moodle/lang/<whatever lang you have selected/help/

My paths are:

/moodle/lang/en_utf8/

/moodle/lang/en_utf8/help/

tom

by Loren Workman -

Sorry that is the way I have it...

moodle/lang/en

Went as far as puting it in

moodle/lang/en_us to make sure

by Thomas Dolsky -

what moodle version are you using?  Moodle 1.6 uses a different language scheme

en is en_utf8 in Moodle 1.6

by Carlos Gouveia -

Thanks for this great module.

However not everything is working as it should, maybe with some help from you it will. smile

I installed over Moodle 1.6 running on windows 2003 and IIS server and it works "almost" fine. It does not allow me to delete files or folders, however I can upload files, create new folders and move files and folders from one folder to another.

What puzzles me is that I have no return error and apparently the deleting operation is a success although in the end the files remain where they were.

I tried everything from I remembered, including installing in another computer running a different version of PHP and MySQL.

Any ideas?

Thank you

CG

In reply to Carlos Gouveia

by Thomas Dolsky -
try the .29b version in another tread in this forum.  Hopefully it will fix your problems.

by Thangaes waran -
I have installed and everything works until I click on the attachment. the I get the error page as follows:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@twaran.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

What am I doing wrong?

In reply to Thangaes waran

by Thomas Dolsky -

Need more info on this one.  Looks like an apache error.

What does your apache error_log report?

Tom

by Thangaes waran -
Hi Thomas,
I seem to have fixed that problem, but I am still unable to run the attached podcast. I feel that it has something to do with the htaccess file How do I do the following:
Apache will need to have .htaccess override allowed for the ipodcast module directory. The module directory contains a premade .htaccess to allow scripts to run with media extensions ie. .mp3 , .mov, .mp4, .m4v .m4a .m4b .mpg. itunes will only download files with these extensions.
Thank You

by Carlos Gouveia -

Thanks Tom,

The file management is working fine, but the podcast, now, is not in so good health smile

Embeded on the webpage I have no sound or no video (mp3 or mp4 formats), although the data is downloaded. If I click on the attachement link I get an error from php that I am pasting here:

Notice: Undefined variable: filetype in C:\wwwroot\moodle16\mod\ipodcast\filelib.php on line 158

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Prof2000\moodle2-\mod\ipodcast\filelib.php:158) in C:\wwwroot\moodle16\lib\filelib.php on line 229

I downgraded to the previous relase and everything works fine but the file management.

Any ideas?

CG

In reply to Carlos Gouveia

by Thomas Dolsky -

It looks like I am using a php keyword as a variable name.  the error doesn't show up on my servers but I have fixed the coding error and included a file for you to try.

since I cant see the problem I am hoping you will try the new filelib.php and report the results.

just replace the filelib.php in the v.29b module folder( moodle/mod/ipodcast ) with the included one.

If all works I will put the change in.

Thanks

Tom

by Thangaes waran -
Hi.
I get the following error when I try to run the MP3 file uploaded.
Please help.
g 19 03:24:52 2006] [error] [client 58.160.192.249] Premature end of
script headers: /home/twaran/public_html/moodle/mod/ipodcast/file.mp3
[Sat Aug 19 03:22:39 2006] [error] [client 58.160.192.249]
File does not exist: /home/twaran/public_html/500.shtml

by way kay -

Hi Thomas,

Is there a latest version comming?

v.30 maybe?

TIA

Wayne

by Monty Galloway -

Thomas,

Can you send me the link to the latest version of the ipodcast module?  I think I may have loaded an older version that is a little buggy.  I can't seem to find it on the moodle site or forums.

Thanks!

In reply to Monty Galloway

by Julian Ridden -
You can find it here in the Modules and Plugins database.

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just for the sake of clarity, the download from Modules and Plugins looks to be the most updated code as it look like CVS has not been touched in a while. I am excited about working with this module. It sounds very promising. Peace.

by Daniel Berger -
I have red hat server running mysql 4.1.16 and php 4.3 and moodle 1.6.1
The module does everything perfectly until...
I click play on the applet. A line moves across, but nothing else happens.
When I click the link, I get a broken quicktime logo.
I've tried it from OS X and XP Pro with the same result.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Dan
In reply to Daniel Berger

by Volker Hegelheimer -
Great work, Thomas.

We tried and it seemed to work just fine, but instead of getting the actual buttons, we get this (see below).  Any suggestions on where we went wrong?

Thanks,

Volker

description of error
In reply to Volker Hegelheimer

by Jesse Thorstad -
Volker,

Double-check that you have placed the iPodcast language files in the proper places within your lang folder. That has always fixed this kind of problem for me...

Jesse

by David Hawkes -
I have played with this as a teacher and perhaps I have missed some things, but it would be great if:

1.    Students in a class could have the ability to create mp3 podcast activities for their classes to view.
2.    The RSS [blog] item interface module for students had the ability to insert an mp3 file
3.    The RSS [blog] interface could be exported as a pure XML file.

Is there functionality for this that just needs to be switched on by the administrator, or is more development needed for these features?

David Hawkes
Sydney

by Jonathan Snyder -
Hey, i must be doing something wrong and i'm hoping someone can help
i followed these steps
  1. Copy the ipodcast folder to your mod directory.
  2. Copy the ipodcast.php from the moodle/mod/ipodcast/lang/en/ to your moodle/lang/en directory.
  3. Copy the ipodcast folder from moodle/mod/ipodcast/lang/en/ to moodle/lang/en/help/
  4. Go to your administration and install module and make sure all succeeds
and it installed and said success, so i went to a part where i'm a teacher, hit add activity, but i see no podcast under there.. Is there something i'm missing?
In reply to Jonathan Snyder

by Thangaes waran -
Have you checked the Administration, Configuration, Modules to see if it is there? I have been able to install it and upload a podcast but I am unable to play the podcast files as get the follwoing error messages:

[error] [client 58.160.192.249] Premature end of
script headers: /home/twaran/public_html/moodle/mod/ipodcast/file.mp3

and

[error] [client 58.160.192.249]
File does not exist: /home/twaran/public_html/500.shtml

I have tried a number of times. If someone could help me with this.
You can view the pocast at: http://twaran.com/moodle/mod/ipodcast/view.php?id=143
(login name: student and password: student).
In reply to Thangaes waran

by Jonathan Snyder -
If i go to administration, modules, i see ipodcast in there.
But no where else

EDIT* i think i might have found it
for some reason it goes under "modulename" is there anyway i can change the name?

Ok i've succesfully uploaded a mp3 file, but when i play it in the browser, it's increaidlbly fast, anyone know a reason as to that?

by Simon Bryan -
If you are using 1.6 then instead of copying the lang file to your en folder copy it to your en_utf8 folder

by Jonathan Snyder -
Ok, i'm trying this now on a live server, running off my Dreamhost acount
i uploaded my ipdocast folder to the mod directory
copied the ipodcast.php and help to my en_utf8 directory
when to my admin and hit install and everythign succed
So when i try to add a pdocast it shows up as the proper name this time
So i go in and try to upload a file, it shows that it has my mp3 in the line (bh.mp3) then when i go to view podcast it says there are no attachments, and i click on the link to view my podcast and i get this error

Warning
: main(../../config.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/.augustina/surreal33/surrient.com/gdo/moodle/mod/ipodcast/file.mp3 on line 22

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '../../config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/.augustina/surreal33/surrient.com/gdo/moodle/mod/ipodcast/file.mp3 on line 22

Any thoughts on how to fix this?
 Thanks guys

by Keith Wilkinson -

Can somebody please help shed some light on this error. I have tried so much to get things working with some success - but not on the all important production server. I am getting so frustrated

This is the error when viewing the xml

Error retrieving nested category
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /.../mod/ipodcast/rsslib.php:68) in /srv/www/htdocs/moodle/lib/filelib.php on line 226

This is the attempt at forming the xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>60 http://...sch.uk/moodle Write a concise and interesting paragraph here that explains what this course is about Moodle http://www.moodle.org/ en &#xA9;2006 Beaufort Community School http://...sch.uk/moodle/mod/ipodcast/getimage.php/88/3/ipodcast/2/image.jpg http://...sch.uk/moodle 144 144 <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ITUNES />Keith Wyatt and his Slide Guitar Mr Wilkinson Write a concise and interesting paragraph here that explains what this course is about Mr Wilkinson me@hotpop.com no

Vast: Re: New Podcasting module

by Ari Tahvanainen -
Hi,

I don't know module, but I know that error.

There is something rubbish print before header in some file. Even line feed or space outside of php tags produces header error. Setting cookie before header produce this error, too. And debug prints, of course.

- ari -

In reply to Ari Tahvanainen

Re: Vast: Re: New Podcasting module

by Keith Wilkinson -

Thanks Ari

I reached the same conclusion.

Your help much appreciated

Re: rubbish in php code

by Adrian Keech -
Hi.

I found this in the README file that comes with ipodcast. i dont know if this helps ?

Now go to the end of the filelib.php and check for a newline after the ?> line and delete if it is there.  This newline character conflicts with the xml building on some systems.

I attached the whole file as it has the version number of my version at the bottom.
In reply to Adrian Keech

Re: rubbish in php code

by Keith Wilkinson -

Thanks Adrian

I have already made the edit and it works. However I think there are some issues with this module and moodle 1.6 - it does not like to form the xml file.

I currently have 6 different moodle 1.6 installations all at different builds with some on different machines (all linux). I am also using v.29 and v.28 I have installed these modules on all of the installations. All but one fail to work. The xml now builds successfully when the first podcast is entered (due the the removal of the newline in filelib.php), however, when adding further podcasts the xml is not updated with further items. Even if you delete the first items podcast info it still appears in the xml.

Updating the podcast and disabling the iTunes RSS Tags will make it produce xml where once there was an error. This is the same in 5 out of six installations, however it will not allow it to display further items.

Two of the moodle builds do not even place any items in the xml, they just contain header information such as sitename, mail info.

The only working version I have uses moodle 1.6 2006050506 with the 2006032405 podcast module. It works beautifully - I just wish it were on my production version and not on a test version

Re: New Podcasting module Error

by Rishi VG -

Hai

I just downloading your zip.gif ipodcast-v.18.zip , and i installed  my local server  in moodle 1.6 & 1.7 . but it is not istall sucessfully. I saw some error message.

And i sent the screenshot in my error details . pls find the error details.

ipodcast tables could NOT be set up successfully!

thank u ...

Attachment Moodle_error.jpg

by Vijay Adyanthaya -

I have ultimately downloaded ipodcast v 28 and followed the steps as mentioned in the readme

however , it has given me the attached error while mod installation.

my current moodle version is 1.6.3

further, using MySql Administrator i have added the records in mdl_log_display table with respective values in the insert statement.

will this work.

In reply to Vijay Adyanthaya

by Vijay Adyanthaya -

Now every time i access http://moodle_url/admin

it tries to install the pulgin and gives following error

by Vijay Adyanthaya -

ok

now i have edited the mysql.sql file and rectified the sql statements there(i.e. entered the field names for the table)

cleared the records

now it has shown success,

well now i have created the course following the instructions in the Readme file create the course with 2 podcast activity using mp3 files

when i click on Add to itunes or if even if i paste the URL i get the attached error. Find attached the RSS.xml file created for the POD

by Vijay Adyanthaya -
Error snap shot
Attachment poderror.JPG

by Garland Green -
I am not sure where to move forward on this. I too get the error on the RSS feeds using this module. I have done what I thought was requested regarding .htaccess and AllowOverrides ALL, however, I am having issues with the RSS feed and iTunes. I have the error posted below. I have my main site configured to allow RSS feeds as well.

My question is:

Is this error connected to the .htaccess and the AllowOverrides ALL connection, OR should I be looking elsewhere? I have the site running on OS X Server 10.4.8 and my concern is that this is related to the OS X Server. I have Linux / Apache experience and now I have this moved to OS X.

Any help on where to look would be great.

-G

Stats:

// MOODLE 1.6 VERSION INFORMATION
// Human-friendly version name

iPodCast:

version = 2006101701

Attachment Picture_1.png
In reply to Garland Green

by Thomas Dolsky -

If you click on the rss link what comes up?  I need to see the xml to further investigate.  If you download the xml then you can copy and paste the media urls in a browser to see if the media extensions are being run as php scripts or not.

I haven't installed iPodcast on my OS X server to document it yet.

Is the server public?  I would be glad to look at it if you give me a student login.

Tom

by Garland Green -
The XML file is below. All the links work if I copy and paste into the browser.
Sends me to the files. Graphics as well as podcasts.
I use FireFox and the RSS feed errors out with noting more than
"Empty" as the text and Safari has this:

Safari can’t open the page
“feed://10.1.0.78/webschool/mod/ipodcast/file.mp3?
file=/084f082007df2afc523c30326e888457/3/3092/ipodcast/4/
SDR2006-09-04_Podcast_Weekend_Summary.mp3”.
The error was: “unknown error” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1)
Please choose Report Bug to Apple from the Safari menu,
note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message.

As you can see, I am developing on our LAN for now, however, I will post the site within a week or so.
Given what I have here and below, I am beginning to suspect my httpd.conf and the Overrides dialog.
If you think that is where I need to head, let me know, however, I do have Apache and httpd.conf set as it would appear (keyword search: appear) to be correct.
I have installed v.33 today so that is patched as of this morning as well.

(I have done a few carriage returns so that the page did not create a mess with right scowling and run off the page)

Many thanks in advance for the help.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <rss xmlns:itunes="http://www.itunes.com/dtds/podcast-1.0.dtd" version="2.0">
- <channel>
<ttl>60</ttl>
<title>Podcasting The Beginning</title>
<link>/webschool</link>
<description>Change this Dennis</description>
<generator>Moodle http://www.moodle.org/</generator>;
<language>en</language>
<copyright>&#xA9;2006 iLearn</copyright>
- <image>
<url>/webschool/mod/ipodcast/getimage.php/3/3/ipodcast/2/image.jpg</url>
<title>moodle</title>
<link>/webschool</link>
<width>144</width>
<height>144</height>
</image>
<itunes:subtitle>Time for Kids</itunes:subtitle>
<itunes:author>Dennis Kieser</itunes:author>
<itunes:summary>Change this Dennis</itunes:summary>
- <itunes:owner>
<itunes:name>Dennis -K</itunes:name>
<itunes:email>dennis_k@atourschool.k12.wi.us</itunes:email>
</itunes:owner>
<itunes:image href="/webschool/mod/ipodcast/getimage.php/3/3/ipodcast/2/image.jpg" />
- <itunes:category text="Education">
<itunes:category text="K-12" />
</itunes:category>
<itunes:explicit>clean</itunes:explicit>
<itunes:keywords />
- <item>
<title>Time for Kids</title>
<link>/webschool/mod/ipodcast/view.php?id=20</link>
<pubDate>Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:13:29 -0500</pubDate>
<author>dennis_kieser@msd.k12.wi.us</author>
<description><a href = "/webschool/mod/ipodcast/file.mp3?
file=/084f082007df2afc523c30326e888457/3/3092/ipodcast/4/SDR2006-09-04_Podcast_Weekend_Summary.mp3">Time for Kids</a><br />Time for Kids sample podcast developed for instructional purposes<br /></description>
<enclosure url="/webschool/mod/ipodcast/file.mp3?
file=/084f082007df2afc523c30326e888457/3/3092/ipodcast/4/SDR2006-09-04_Podcast_Weekend_Summary.mp3" length="" type="audio/mp3" />
<guid>/webschool/mod/ipodcast/file.mp3?
file=/084f082007df2afc523c30326e888457/3/3092/ipodcast/4/SDR2006-09-04_Podcast_Weekend_Summary.mp3-1161706872
</guid>
<itunes:subtitle>Time for Kids</itunes:subtitle>
<itunes:author>Dennis Kieser</itunes:author>
<itunes:summary>Time for Kids Time for Kids sample podcast developed for instructional purposes</itunes:summary>
<itunes:explicit>clean</itunes:explicit>
<itunes:keywords />
</item>
</channel>
</rss>

by Thomas Dolsky -

What is your $CFG->wwwroot set to in your moodle/config.php  ?

None of your links have a full url.

<link>/webschool</link>

Sould be

<link>http://10.1.0.78/webschool</link>;

And all the other links should follow accordingly.

The xml appears to be normal.  There are a couple of problems with it I will look at today.  But nothing that would cause it to fail besides the full url missing.

Length is empty. 

header itunes:image is slashed while item links are non slased

I will have .34 ready tonight to post with those fixes.  Hopefully by the end of the week this module will be cleaned up and stable.

Thanks

Tom

by Garland Green -
BINGO! You got it. it was my config.php issue. dropped in http://10.1.0.478/webschool and it fired right up in iTunes. Tom, thanks for all the work on this, really helped out. I look forward to v.34 when it is ready.

-Gar

by Rishi VG -
You install the ipodcast.zip file this is correctly podcasting file.
first unzip and install for following readme step in readme file.
In reply to Rishi VG

by way kay -

Hi Rishi,

Can you tell me which version this is?

TIA

by Kristen Walker -
I am trying to install this module. I copy the file into my mod directory but when I log on as administrator the installation doesn't seem to kick off. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I am using Moodle 1.9.

Thanks,
Kristen

Re: New Podcasting module - attachment error with spaces in filename

by Jon Streeter -
when i select a file with spaces in the filename i get a 'file does not exist' error.  Is this a fundamental requirement that attachments have no spaces in their names? is there a way to automate the replacement of spaces with underscores?

-jon
In reply to Jon Streeter

course id is incorrect

by Will Cunningham -
I am running 1.5.3 and ipodcast version 2006102304

Everything installed fine but when I got to ad an activity and select podcast I get
"course id is incorrect" and a continue button. I have read through every thread I can find and can't seem to figure out how to solve the problem. Any help?
In reply to Will Cunningham

Re: course id is incorrect

by Thomas Dolsky -

Try the

2006102506 version here iPodcast v.35

10/24/06 Tom Dolsky     - Fixed new course setup with new tab view

Was the fix for that issue

Tom

by Jong-Dae Park -

Hi

I installed iPodcast v.35. But rss icon and podcast icon disappeared. I checked the settings in ipodcast module and I enabled them.

I don't know what is the reason.

Thanks inadvance.

Jong-Dae Park

In reply to Jong-Dae Park

by Mayrton Bahia -
I have the same problem! Please can someone help me? Mayrton Bahia

Confusion - an error occurred while processing this directive

by Jason Hollowell -
Tom,

Thanks for all the work you've done on this mod. I've read through and tried to figure out my problem after several months away from trying to get it to work but....

I am very excited about this mod but am having difficulty getting it set up. I have installed the most recent version v.35 and got "success" messages for all the tables etc. when I visited my admin area. I can set up a podcast in a test course I have set up but when I upload my audio file (mp3) as an attachment and then go to view podcast, I got the error "an error occurred while processing this directive" or if I try to view it (listen to it) by subsrcibing via the link found in Activities I get an error in iTunes the same as has been posted here earlier by Vijay

I'm running Moodle 1.6.4 on a hosted server that uses Apache. I'm guessing that my difficulties are a result of not understanding:

"For Apache:

Make sure to AllowOverride All(or enough to get "AddType" to function) on /mod/ipodcast folder."

and

the discussion of an .htaccess file.

Is it sufficient for me to ask my hosting tech support person to:

"Make sure to AllowOverride All(or enough to get "AddType" to function) on /mod/ipodcast folder." ??

Sincerely

Jason

Re: Confusion - an error occurred while processing this directive

by Jason Hollowell -
Am I destined to not use this module??? Can't get help here or from my hosting service sad

Jason

by Jason Hollowell -
I know you're all ignoring those of us (maybe just me) with little technical skill so I'm just going to be persistent and hope that someone gives in and helps me wink

I finally got a response back from my hosting tech support (only took 6 days!) and they have informed me that AllowOverride is on and that an .htacesss file should be allowed to do "it's thing".

Now what I can't figure out is where is the .htaccess file? It is mentioned in the readme file that accompanies the idpodcast module but I don't see it anywhere in the file contents.

Please please please, any help will be appreciated. Berate me if you like, I can take it smile I'm just trying to learn.

Jason

by Tim Hunt -
Two options, either it does not exist, and you can just create one.

Or it does exist, but is being hidden, becuase unix systems treat files whose names start with a '.' as hidden files. However you are looking at the list of files to edit, you need to tell it to show you hidden files.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jason Hollowell -
Tim,

Thanks smile I will see if I can "find" it that way.

Jason
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jason Hollowell -
Hello all,

I'm still banging my head against the wall with this mod. I've managed to access the .htaccess file and here are its contents:

<Files .htaccess>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Files>
AddType application/x-httpd-php .jpg
AddType application/x-httpd-php .png
AddType application/x-httpd-php .mp3
AddType application/x-httpd-php .mp4
AddType application/x-httpd-php .m4v
AddType application/x-httpd-php .m4a
AddType application/x-httpd-php .m4b
AddType application/x-httpd-php .mov

I don't see anything in here that sounds like/looks like the "AllowOverride All" command that is mentioned in the ReadMe file. I tried inserting that command and my iPodCast module went crazy and gave me the "an error occurred while processing this directive" when I tried to create a new podcast. Removing the line from the .htaccess file brought me back to where I can create an iPodCast but can't get it to play when I click on the link. I've verified the my hosting service is set up to allow for the .htaccess file.....

I'm lost as usual sad

Jason

by Thomas Dolsky -
Is this server public?
Can you provide me with temp access? Student at least but teacher better.
When you click on the RSS link do you get a valid XML file?
Can you post it?
Have you tried Jim McGowans hosted apache fix?

Hi, the tech support from my website came back with this, which solved the problem for me:

It looks like the .htaccess is slightly wrong, instead of:

Try:

AddType x-mapp-php4 .mp3
AddType x-mapp-php4 .mp4
AddType x-mapp-php4 .m4v
AddType x-mapp-php4 .m4a
AddType x-mapp-php4 .m4b
AddType x-mapp-php4 .mov

Lets start there.

Tom

by Jason Hollowell -
Tom,

Thanks a million for your response and I apologize for pouting. Also, I don't think that you are the only one that should be providing support here. I was bascially making a plea for help from anyone that might have already dealt with the same problem. Unfortunately those people may not be active here on the forum. I try to help out when I can if I find a problem that I've already dealth with but that rarely happens. Seems like I'm always trying to catch up.

At any rate, I realize that you are way busy and I do sincerely appreciate the response. I will try the things you have suggested and also create a teacher account for you in my test course and send it to you via the messaging system.

Thanks again

Jason

Re: iPodcast problem - an error occurred while processing this directive

by Thomas Dolsky -

Your problem is definitely caused by the Apache setup. How I determined this is by opening the XML rss link and copy and pasting the enclosure url into a browser.

When I open it I then save it to a file and open it in a text editor.

***snip what it saved****

<?PHP

/******************************************************************************\

* Filename: file.mp3

* See file.php for description

* Copyright, Thomas E. Dolsky Cytek Media Systems, Inc.

* tomd@cytekmedia.com

\******************************************************************************/

include_once('file.php');

?>

*****end snip*******

If its php code (which it is) that means the media extensions are not being run as php scripts.

This is the number one cause of the module not functioning.

Either AllowOverride all is not set on the <full path here>moodle/mod/ipodcast/ folder

Or the AddType doesn’t match what it needs to be for the php setup/ version

If you are 100% sure that the AllowOverride is set properly ask you provider to give you the proper syntax for AddType to execute an extension as a php application.

They should have an AddType line for the .php extension in the httpd.conf file for Apache.

Here is mine.

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

You then replace the .php with all the media extensions and put them in your .htaccess

For example if they send you

AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .php

From their httpd.conf

Then you would need

AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .mp3
AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .mp4
AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .m4v
AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .m4a
AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .m4b
AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .mov

In your .htaccess file and your .htaccess would need to have the AllowOverride option set to All for the ipodcast folder in order for those to take effect.

One other possibility is that an .htaccess file somewhere in your directory structure is overriding the one in the ipodcast folder.

That’s really about all I have for you.

The media extensions must run as php scripts in order for the module to function.

Tom

by Jason Hollowell -
Tom,

Sorry I should have followed your lead and responded here instead of e-mailing you directly. Here is my message again for the benefit of everyone:

Tom,

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the very rapid response. I think I understand everything and have just one question to add. I posted (here on the Moodle forum) the entire contents of the .htaccess file that is in the ipodcast folder on my Moodle install and I don't see a line anywhere that includes the "AllowOverride" text. I may be mistaken but it seems like that command is not present. Here are the contents of that file:

<Files .htaccess>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Files>
AddType application/x-httpd-php .jpg
AddType application/x-httpd-php .png

Those are the entire contents of that .htaccess file. (Actually the </Files> portion is a bit different now as I tried the fix from Jim McGowan that you referred to.) Is it just me or is something missing here? I'm such a novice that I may be totally off but "deny from all" sounds just the opposite of "AllowOverride" "all" that I feel like there may be something wrong with the command but.... or maybe the command prior to the </Files> portion is irrelevant? I guess the AddType command is what is important? Is "AllowOverride" "All" something that is set outside of the .htaccess file?

Jason

P.S. There are other .htaccess files outside of the ipodcast folder. Maybe I need to check them?

by Thomas Dolsky -

The AllowOverride All is in the httpd.conf for the Apache server.  If its hosted then only the hosting service can edit it.

If there are other .htaccess files in higher directories its possible one is overriding the httpd.conf.

Maybe if you tell your provider what you are trying to accomplish they might be able to fix it up for you.

Tom

by Jason Hollowell -
Yeah, yeah, yeah!!! I finally figured this out. It has taken me almost a year but I finally got it.

I had to change the text in the .htaccess to the following to make it work on my hosted server:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .mp3
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .mp4
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .m4v
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .m4a
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .m4b
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .mov

I hope this isn't going to cause me trouble elsewhere but so far so good.

Jason

by Jason Hollowell -
Sorry, I guess I should have specified my setup and hosting service just in case there is anyone else out there with the same problem.

I'm using Moodle 1.6.3 and have it hosted with BlueHost. In order to get ipodcast to work with them I changed the AddType lines in the .htaccess file to the following:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .mp3
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .mp4
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .m4v
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .m4a
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .m4b
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .mov

Hope this helps someone...

Jason

by Garland Green -
Tom:

I am getting a few requests from teachers to upload PDF as well as .DOC files. I have one teacher who is working hard to emulate TheFrenchPodClass.com and needs to have the ability to iPodcast documents as well as the standard audio and video files.

Is this able to be done using this module? If so, do I need to hack the mod in order to allow these file types, or is this already built into the iPodcast module?

Any help would be great and thanks in advance.

-G

by Stan McDonald -
I've just loaded Moodle 1.7 and cannot get ipodcast to work. I've attached a picture of the error that shows up in ipodcast setup. Can anyone help? BTW, the module worked great in Moodle 1.63. Thanks
Attachment Picture_2.png
In reply to Stan McDonald

by Thomas Dolsky -

iPodcast does not currently work in 1.7 .  I have most of the issues fixed but need to implement the roles funstionality.

I will post as soon as it is complete

Tom

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Johan sk4p -
Hi !

Firstly, thanks for this module ! It looks like amazing...(I'm sure it is because I read all this forum to see if somebody have had the same problem than me, but unfortunately, I didn't find...)

Maybe this problem is simple but I tried to modify my httpd.conf but didn't work...

When I'm in the Podcast of a lesson, if I click on the link beside "attachement" or play directly the sound, I have an error : "Error Retreiving File"

An idea ?

Thank you, Johan

ps : I'm running Moodle 1.6.3 on a Windows Server 2003 with Apache
In reply to Johan sk4p

by Garland Green -
I had a similar problem. My problem came in when I tried to build Moodle to be IP independent. That is to say, I wanted to develop the entire Moodle so I could tar-up the directory, MySQL dump the DB and move over to a production server with a different IP. By configuring Moodle on a non-routable IP I was not able to download the files.

Therefore, make sure that in your configuration you have the IP address set and not just /your_moodle_dir/. http://10.1.0.1/your_moodle_dir/ fixed the problem for me.

Hope this helps.

-G

by Johan sk4p -
Thank you for your answer !

When you say "your configuration", do you mean the config.php file in your moodle folder or somewhere else ?

Because I tried to change it in config.php, but nothing changed, still have this error. wwwroot is set with 'http://moodle' or 'http://IPaddress', the result is the same (the root in my httpd.conf is set on .../htdocs/moodle)

Another thing I noticed concerning weblink...

This is the link I click to have my error : http://moodle/mod/ipodcast/file.mp3?file=/6/2/ipodcast/1/blabla.mp3

This is the location where is my file on my server :
P:\..some folders...\xampp\moodledata\6\ipodcast\Podcast\blabla.mp3

Is it normal ?

Thanks in advance !
In reply to Johan sk4p

by Garland Green -
Once I changed in config.php $CFG->wwwroot = '/moodle_school';
to $CFG->wwwroot = 'http://10.1.0.78/moodle_school'; I was golden. That is what I was referring to in my post. Now I would ask if your web server has rights to the Moodle data folder?

What do you have set for: $CFG->dataroot = '/some_dir/moodledata';

This module needs two things set in order to work.

1) The IP in your $CFG->wwwroot. You can not have http://some_dir/moodle_school/ You need an IP
2) Your web server needs to have rights to the moodle data directory.

Take a look at that and see if that is the case. Cheers and best of luck to you. This is a great Module. Tom did a nice job on it.

by Johan sk4p -
OK !

Thank you for your help and application to answer me.

Now, it works great since I installed the latest version (n°35, the version I downloaded was just one before n°35 has been published... I've just seen today that there was a newest version)

Concerning 1), I kept http://moodle and it's working with it (I used a DNS, sorry if I didn't specify that before). In fact, when I put IP address in config.php, it's displayed in the web navigator, and I didn't want this IP address appears (even if it wasn't my biggest worry, just a question of "cleanliness" in the web navigator wink ). But maybe I will have another problem in the future, so I'll know the problem could come from this setting.

A last question about this... Actually, Moodle is just configured for an Intranet access, but in the future I think, it will be accessible from outside the school. Do you think it will be a problem to keep this setting instead of put IP address?

Thank you again for your answers and I agree with you, this module is great and congratulate Tom for it ! smile
In reply to Johan sk4p

by Jason La Greca -
Hey all.

Thanks for all your hard work developing this great application.

But any idea when updated to work with 1.7? I REALLY want to use it.

In reply to Jason La Greca

by Thomas Dolsky -
I do have ipodcast working with 1.7 but without the roles inplemented. But I am at Asterisk training all week so it will be sometime next week before I can wrap it up.

Tom

by Jason Hollowell -
I REALLY want to use it too but can't seem to get a response here sad for 1.6

Jason

by Thomas Dolsky -
I apologize for not responding. The reason I havent responded is that the subject did not contain the word podcast. since there is no dedicated forum to podcasting I have a filter setup for "podcast" in my mail. I also sift through some thousand+ mails a day looking for other clues to mail I need to look at or read. I rarely come to the forum and reread the entire thread. Unfortunately if I had to do that I probably would never develop the module further.

I guess this is an official request to make my life easier and quite possibly provide a quicker response to people having troubles. I have the activity modules forum subscribed via email and I look for the word podcast. If everyone can make sure that word is in there I will try my best to get everyone up and running.

Since we don't have a dedicated forum maybe starting a new thread for related issues with "iPodcast problem" in the title would help. "iPodcast problem - an error occurred while processing this directive" .

I am at training this week but I will try and read your posts and help you out.

Thanks

Tom

iPodcast Module in Ver. 1.7

by mike sebolt -

We upgraded to 1.7 and now the teachers hate me smile 
Kidding ;)
But iPodcast worked beautifully for us in 1.6 and the teachers really have gotten to like and use it.
When you think you have it ready for 1.7 can you notify me? 

This is an awesome module!  Thanks for all your work.

Mike Sebolt
Salem High School
Salem, VA  24153

http://www.salem.k12.va.us

by Jason La Greca -
yeh, the dudes busy... we should give them a break.

by Mr Asante -

Fantastic Module - Just woundering as you said that you had got the module working for 1.7. Is out yet and i have missed it, or am i falling into the league of a bugging person..?

+ Will you upload it to this area or place it in the pluggin area?

Cheers

by Vern Kollas -
Any progress with the above issue that Stan(posted Fri. Nov. 10, 06) mentioned?? I have download ipodcast v.35 and still have this same problem. The module actually seems to function properly with the exception of the RSS/iTunes integration, which of course is the page/tab that this error occurs.

Not trying to be a bother, just curious and hoping to regain this functionality soon.

Thanks for the help.

Vern
In reply to Vern Kollas

by Sean Keogh -
Try version 0.37b3 - available from here - http://www.cytekmedia.com/ipodcast/ipodcast-v37b3.zip - that fixes the rss/itunes link problem.

Sean K
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Peter Evans -
I was able to get the module installed and configured correctly however my podcast will not play in iTunes. I am running 1.7+ with the v37b3 module.

Everything works fine until I add the podcast to iTunes. I get the following error:

"The file might be corrupted, or a file type that iTunes cannot play"

My .mp3 file plays perfectly fine in iTunes when simply added to the library itis just broken when added as a podcast.

Any ideas?
In reply to Peter Evans

Re: New Podcasting module - Podcast

by bill c -
I'm experiencing the same issue - Moodle 1.7, iPodcast v37b3, and the iTunes/RSS feed doesn't work. iTunes reports either nothing or "..file type that iTunes cannot play". The rss links displays and rss error.
I'd love to get this working, but I'm struggling.
-B
In reply to bill c

Re: New Podcasting module - Podcast

by bill c -
Additional info -
When I run the cron, one of the rss feed generation messages is:

ipodcast: ...NOT SUPPORTED (function)

How do I get into SUPPORTED?

Thanks
-B

by Michal Kenner -

Sorry if this is not the way to message you, but ive been trying to get round a problem for a while. is the ipodcast module compatiable with moodle version 1.7. I keep getting the message

Error

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display VALUES ('ipodcast', 'add entry', 'ipodcast', 'name')  

Error

Error

Can you help please, as im desperate to use the podcast module. Thanks smile

by Michal Kenner -

Sorry if this is not the way to message you, but ive been trying to get round a problem for a while. is the ipodcast module compatiable with moodle version 1.7. I keep getting the message

Error

Error

Error

Can you help please, as im desperate to use the podcast module. Thanks smile

by Adrian Norman -
Hi folks!

Just started playing with the Podcast module.. it's great! Thanks Thomas...

but I'm having problems getting the RSS feeds to validate from the podcast. I've enabled RSS feeds globally but for some reason I can't read the feeds elsewhere. I was wondering if someone has a checklist for this, I'm obviously doing something simple wrong but I don't know what.

thanks
adrian
In reply to Adrian Norman

by mike sebolt -
I can't get the RSS to work nor the iTunes link.  Running 1.7.
In reply to mike sebolt

by Curtis Barker -
I'm having the same problem.

- By the way - Jody Lohr says that it's nice to know that he rubbed off on someone.
In reply to Curtis Barker

by mike sebolt -

I wish I was 1/2 as smart as Jody smile

The RSS (xml) is working now. The iTunes stuff is a mystery. When updated the version of iTunes on one machine, the link began working as it should. (ie) I click on add to iTunes, iTunes launches and then the podcast is subscribed to. But it isn't consistant.  Still playing with it.

In reply to mike sebolt

by Juvenal Sahiri -
Mike,
Did it work without you doing anything? I just clicked on rssfeed.gif RSS Ipdcast link and got this page with codes below. Did you get the same thing before the problem solved itself.

More to the mystery: clicking on Add to iTunes Podcasts link, it opened a save as/open with windows. I chose to open with Itunes "the default application" and it took me to the Itunes windows where there were other podcasts. Thus it saved an empty file in the podcast list in Itunes which of course cannot be open.

This behaviour doesn't make sense to me since I had not uploaded podcasts. Have still to figure out how this thing work, in the absence of documentation.

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<rss version="2.0">

<channel>
<ttl>60</ttl>
<title>Algebra</title>
<link>http://192.168.1.106/moodle</link>;
<description> Introduction to algebra<br /></description>
<generator>Moodle http://www.moodle.org/</generator>;
<language>en</language>
<copyright>&#xA9;2007 Education Portal</copyright>

<image>

<url>

</url>
<title>moodle</title>
<link>http://192.168.1.106/moodle</link>;
<width>144</width>
<height>144</height>
</image>
<itunes:subtitle> Introduction to algebra</itunes:subtitle>
<itunes:author>Du Bidon</itunes:author>
<itunes:summary> Introduction to algebra</itunes:summary>

<itunes:owner>
<itunes:name>Du Bidon</itunes:name>
<itunes:email>bidon@komera.com</itunes:email>
</itunes:owner>
<itunes:image href="http://192.168.1.106/moodle/mod/ipodcast/getimage.php/5/13/ipodcast/1/image.jpg"/>

<itunes:category text="Education">
<itunes:category text="K-12"/>
</itunes:category>
<itunes:explicit>no</itunes:explicit>
<itunes:keywords/>
</channel>
</rss>

by Rick Robb -

I'm a newbie on the moodle forum and have started using 1.6.3 in August. I have successfully installed the podcast module and have a few questions.

1. how can I get around the 2mb upload limit?

2. on the activity pull-down menu, the podcast is displayed as moddlename & tab references are in bracketed code as well.

I know that this is somewhat elementary, but any help would be appreciated.

Server platform is Linux 32 bit system.

In reply to Rick Robb

by Juvenal Sahiri -
The moddlename indicates generally that the language file for the particular module is not in the en_utf8 file. Copy the language file for moodle into lang/en_utf8 directory.

I am new to moodle too. I have installed the podcasting module and are finding my way into how to use it.
In reply to Juvenal Sahiri

by Rick Robb -

Thanks for the information.  It worked and the module is fine.

Any ideas about changing the file size max from 2mg to 10mg?

In reply to Rick Robb

by Juvenal Sahiri -
The maximum upload size can be changed usually in your php.ini in the php directory.
Open php.ini file with notepad and look for : upload_max_filesize =
Change the number in there to what you want it to be, in your case, 10 MB.

In reply to Rick Robb

by Mohd Heidzir heidzir -
Hi,

Unzip the attach file. Put the htaccess file under your moodle folder.
I set it to 30Mb.

Example
Windows OS
c:\apache\htdocs\moodle\.htaccess

Linux
/var/www/html/moodle/.htaccess

No need to restart the Apache / IIS or change anything to your server file.
Just refresh the browser. :D

by Garland Green -
I have been having issues with the module after I moved my old server to the new one. In doing so, I discovered that I was able to write to a course Moodle by directly typing in the path below. I could write to the DB without logging in.

Is this a "real" security hole in the module or have I missed something in my setup?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

/moodle/mod/ipodcast/setupcourse.php?id=100

by Craig Stephenson -
Hi Tom,

Will the most recent version of your ipodcast module work with ver 1.6.3 of Moodle? Is it recommended?

Thank you,

Craig
In reply to Craig Stephenson

by James Whitacre -
I just downloaded this module and uploaded to my server into my mod directory. It is not showing up in the activity section. We're on Moodle 1.7. Does this module work with 1.7 yet? I can't seem to find any info anywhere. Anybody know?
In reply to James Whitacre

by James Whitacre -
Hi,

Sorry, I seem to have the module working fine now except that when I try to upload a file, I'm receive this error message:

A required parameter (id) was missing

Any ideas and how I can correct. I did increase file upload sizes in the php.ini.

Thanks,
James Whitacre
In reply to James Whitacre

by boricua orman -
same issue as james i uploaded to mod directory and it does not show uner modules nor activity
In reply to boricua orman

by boricua orman -
ok i guess cron plays a roll b/c i went to nofitications and saw some tables got created.. strange at end of activity i see an entry for;module name when i click on it i is ipodcast yet i dont see how to upload file

by Peter Campbell -
To subscribe to the podcast click on "Podcasts" under activities for the course. Its on the upper left side on my moodle. This should bring up a list of published podcasts, probably just one if you were following this from scratch. In the upper right corner should be a rss iPodcast button right click and copy shortcut or link. Now paste that shortcut into the iTunes subscribe to ipodcast window.

I installed v.27 just fine on Moodle 1.6.3+ Everything works.

But when I click on "Podcasts" for the courses where I created a podcast, I get a blank page. The link goes to /moodle/mod/ipodcast/index.php?id=5

Nothing appears. Any ideas why this is happening???
In reply to Peter Campbell

by Michael Street -
Can anyone confirm if this is working in 1.8+?
In reply to Michael Street

by Detlef Ufert -
We installed iPodcast in 1.8 without any problem. There is one problem, however, which I have not managed to solve so far. If I add podcast as a new activity for students they are only allowed to view podcasts. In the ipodcast setup 'Students can add podcasts' is set to 'yes'. At present I have no idea what is wrong.

Detlef
In reply to Detlef Ufert

by Sarah Sampara -

Hi there.

I have a question about podcasting. I am new to this whole idea, so forgive the very basic question. We are thinking about installing the podcasting module on our Moodle site. However, since we haven't installed it yet, I have a silly question to ask. If we have the podcasting module, can a student upload a podcast that every other student can see ? This is what we want it to do and if this isn't what the module does, then I don't think it will suit our purposes .

Thanks!

In reply to Sarah Sampara

Podcasting module

by Carmen L Hernandez -

Hi ... I'm looking for the latest version of podcasting module for Moodle 1.8.4. Is the version v37b3 the right one? If there is a new, I will appreciate if someone can provide me the link.

Thanks.

Carmen

In reply to Carmen L Hernandez

Re: Podcasting module

by Jenny Gainsford -

Can anyone help me, please!

Every time I upload a large mp3 file I get an error message about a missing parameter... Other files are fine - is this because it is a video we made in house and has error or it is because the file is too big?

I've edited the php configuration so it is no longer limited to 16mb but I'm still struggling.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Jenny Wright

by Margarete Kedzior -

Hi,

I am very new to this moodle thing. I would like to figure out how to create podcasts in moodle. But I really don't know what I am doing. My tech guy told me that I am on my to figure out moodle. I read through the directions that I found in the web resources but I don't understand some of the terminology they used. We have moodle be hosted by an outside company, I don't know if that makes any difference. Can anyone give me some simple directions on how to get started? Any help will be appreciated.

In reply to Margarete Kedzior

by Cherie Mack -

Without focusing directly on Podcasting, I might suggest looking at the books written by Mary Cooch; Moodle 1.9 for Teaching 7-14 Year Olds and/or Moodle 2.0 First Look.  The two books do a terrific job of complimenting each other with a very user friendly, easy to understand methodology.  Don't the let the first title scare you away if you're teaching older students - it applies to any grade level!