Strange User IDs when Using Moodle as an LTI Tool

Re: Strange User IDs when Using Moodle as an LTI Tool

by Paolo Curray -
Number of replies: 3

Hi MIke,

I've just encountered this same issue when testing LTI with Schoology and the solution is to add Moodle as an LTI tool on the Course Level and not on the Material/Resource Level.

You can follow the steps from the link below:
https://support.schoology.com/hc/en-us/articles/206401048-Course-Materials-External-Tools

Go to the "Setting Up LTI External Tool Providers in Schoology" section.

Hope this helps!

In reply to Paolo Curray

by Joseph Liaw -
I noticed something similar with Canvas....when you add the LTI, there is a Privacy drop down box. If you pick "Anonymous", then you get the weird user names generated, but if you pick something else like "Public" or "Name Only", then the student names should show up properly.

Hope that helps!
In reply to Joseph Liaw

by Stanislav Shap -
Hello Joseph,

I am having the same problem with the Canvas-Moodle integration, but I do not have access to the Canvas settings and have to ask the administrators to change settings. Is the Privacy Drop-Down located in Canvas or Moodle?

Thank You,
Stan
In reply to Paolo Curray

by Mike Simurdiak -

Thanks for the help.  This does work well.  It appears that Schooogy is only prepared to send user info to Moodle if you have it configured at the course level in addition to at the activity level.  If only you didn't have to add each activity twice....oh well, at least it works.  Thanks again!