Copying course sections

Copying course sections

by Andrew Gates -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all,

I'm sure this topic must have been covered multiple times before, so I'd like to find existing posts on the topic of copying/duplicating sections.
I'd like to find out the reasons why this might not have been implemented to date.

In particular, this would be the ability to copy within the same course both empty sections and those with existing content.

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Gates

Re: Copying course sections

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

No quick way but you can backup the course and specify a given section and the modules within along with no users, then use the restore functionality.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Andrew Gates -

Thanks Gareth!

Yes, I've been using this method, but was expecting that others might have suggested that this is more involved than, say, an option off a section's Edit menu.

The other obstacle with the backup and restore method is that many of our teaching staff don't have permissions for this functionality, and it would require training them in new area of Moodle. 

Since they are often very time poor, they'd prefer a duplication method that allows them to quickly rework the content on their course pages while staying on these pages.

Cheers,

Andrew

In reply to Andrew Gates

by David Herney -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Andrew...

the Onetopic course format implement this functionality: duplicate a section or topic.

Check the next image.

Onetopic

Saludos

In reply to David Herney

by Andrew Gates -

Thanks David.

We don't use OneTopic format that often, and it seems strange to need to swap course formats just to be able to copy a section.

In reply to Andrew Gates

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

The sharing cart plugin also allows you to copy an entire section from one course to another (as of 3.4 at least).

In reply to John Provasnik

by Andrew Gates -

Thanks John.

I'd suggest that copying sections should be a standard feature rather than requiring a plugin though.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)