upgrade from 3.1 to 3.6

upgrade from 3.1 to 3.6

by ma shvnd -
Number of replies: 17

Hi there,

I tried upgrading from version 3.1 to version 3.6 but i'm getting error reading from database...

Anyone knows the solution?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ma shvnd

Re: upgrade from 3.1 to 3.6

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Not unless you tell us the exact error...

In reply to Howard Miller

by ma shvnd -

I have updated from 3.1 to 3.6 and now i can login to site but after login it goes to plugins page to upgrade, then i have only one choice and that upgrade moodle database now (screenshot attached), after clicking for upgrading database i get the error reading from database...

Attachment Screen Shot 1398-01-14 at 16.47.28.png
In reply to ma shvnd

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok... but what *exactly* does the error message say?

Even better - enable Debugging in config.php first.

by ma shvnd -

I have added these lines to config.php in order to get debugging info and the results are shown in screenshots.

error_reporting(E_ALL | E_STRICT);

ini_set('display_errors', '1');

$CFG->debug = (E_ALL | E_STRICT);

$CFG->debugdisplay = 1;

Attachment Screen Shot 1398-01-14 at 23.54.13.png
Attachment Screen Shot 1398-01-14 at 23.54.57.png
In reply to ma shvnd

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Have you thought about trying to install a second brand new Moodle on your server in order to prove that a new version of Moodle 3.6 will work?  Then, if it works, you can start trying to add your various Moodle plugins to verify that they work, until you get to the point that your new Moodle matches your old, except for user data.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by ma shvnd -

Hey Rick,

Thanks for your response,

which version do you recommend?

In reply to ma shvnd

by Rick Jerz -

I have Moodle 3.6.3+ (Build: 20190328) installed.  I don't know about recommendations, I just try to stay current.  This is the current "download" version on Moodle.org.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by ma shvnd -

Error when i try version 3.5

Attachment Screen Shot 1398-01-15 at 02.32.40.png
In reply to ma shvnd

by Rick Jerz -

I have no clue about how what you are doing.  Others might.  For me, I would need much more detail.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by ma shvnd -

This is the scenario:

1- I got backup from moodle db, moodledata and www directory...

2- I replaced moodle directory with version 3.6 and continued with the setup on browser.

3- Gave me errors and i thought it might be for the versions of php and mysql so i updated both.

I have phpmyadmin working and i can login as admin to moodle but it goes directly to the plugin upgrade page and other users just get a error reading from database message after login.

Now i'm struggling with this problem for a month and i can't find any logical solution.

I'll be thankful for any help...

In reply to ma shvnd

by Howard Miller -

If you are getting messages like this they are usually true. 

The database has been upgraded to a version newer than the code you have installed. 

If you are getting really muddled up with the versions of code vs. the version of your Moodle in your database it's not surprising you are having these problems. 

I hope you have working backups!!!

by ma shvnd -

I have backup from moodle db, moodledata and www folder but the problem is need to upgrade and that doesn't make a difference...

In reply to ma shvnd

by Lewis Carr -
Hello, I would upgrade in 2 stages.
Go from 3.1 to 3.3, then 3.3 to 3.6.
Make sure you backup at each stage (just in case).
In reply to Lewis Carr

by Mark Schultz -

Hi Lewis,

I am planning an upgrade from 3.1 to 3.6 as well. I'm curious if you have a particular reason why upgrade to 3.3 first, instead of 3.4?

thanks.

In reply to Mark Schultz

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Login to your moodle and go to Admin Menu -> Server -> Environment.

Update component.

Set pick list to the versions of moodle higher than what you are running now an observe the red and yellow checks.  There's your roadmap for a 'march'.

3.1 -> 3.2 PHP 5.6.5 Min.
3.3 -> 3.4 PHP 7.0.x Min.
3.5 -> 3.6 PHP 7.0.x Min. + MySQL 5.6 Min
3.6 -> 3.8upwards ... ditto

When you see a required it means you must make that PHP/MySQL upgrade prior to attempting the Moodle upgrade.

'SoS', Ken