Moving questions from one category to another

Moving questions from one category to another

by Sam Fearn -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my Moodle server to allow sharing of questions across courses, roughly following the instructions here. I'm running Moodle 3.5.4+ (Build: 20190201). As per the linked instructions, I'm creating a 'Question Sharer' role which I can grant to certain (probably all) teachers to allow them to share questions across the courses. Since I didn't want any teacher to be able to edit arbitrary questions, I'm trying to have the questions stored either in the category which contains all my courses, or at the system level. I want these to be viewable by the role, and to be able to be used by the role, but to be able to be copied into a course which the user is a teacher for, where they can then edit the local copy. I've therefore got permissions set as shown:

Permissions

This role is then applied as a system role. However, if I then go to the question bank and view for instance the system category (or a subcategory thereof, or equivalently if I go to the category which contains the course in which the account I'm testing with is a teacher for) the option to move questions doesn't even appear as shown here:

Trying to move a question 

Nothing changes regardless of whether I try to select the question that the teacher account with additional 'Question Sharer' role (the account 'Sam Fearn') created, or the Admin account created. Obviously I don't want to be able to move the Question  with title 'Working' which was created by Admin, but I would expect that since moodle/question:movemine is set to true, I should be able to move the 'Test for moving' question. As an additional note, I can create a question inside the course that the account is a teacher for and move it TO this system category, I just can't then move it back out.

Does anyone have any idea why I am unable to move questions created by myself even though moodle/question:movemine is set to true? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this permission is supposed to do?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Fearn

Re: Moving questions from one category to another

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Within the same question bank, you can create a new category Parent-child, but that is only useful if the questions remain within only that course.

Moving the out of the course structure allows you to move them to an entirely different course.

My process:

1. Make a new category in at the system level, name it something unique smile

2. Go back to the question bank and select all questions you wanted to move. Move them to the new category.

3. Create your new course, open the question bank, select the new category. The questions will be displayed. Select all questions and move them to the quiz category for the course.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

Re: Moving questions from one category to another

by Sam Fearn -

Hi Shirley,

I have the questions in a category at. the system level, but I am unable to move them as the screenshots show. The move button doesn't even appear.