Competencies gap report

Re: reports related to competency gap

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
It sounds like you are on the right path. The only thing, I wonder about is do you need to retain the "training history" of when the Associate changes roles/learning plans to the next level? Will your import write over the existing data and will that matter to you in the future?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Kashyap Kr -
Yes, we want to retain the "training history" of when the Associate changes roles/learning plans. I am not sure whether the import would write over the existing data; I need to check with the stakeholders whether retention of the training history is important.

I've another question. I have a course called "Communication" which has 2 different modules - Verbal and Non Verbal Communication. Each of these modules will have 3 submodules (e.g. Verbal Communication has a) ability to express; b) ability of explain; and c) ability to persuade). Each of these submodules will have 3 different levels of Competence (Basic, Intermediate and Advanced). This implies we will have 18 learning plans in the following manner....

Ability to Express (Basic)
Ability to Express (Intermediate)
Ability to Express (Advanced)
Ability to Explain (Basic)
Ability to Explain (Intermediate)
Ability to Explain (Advanced)
Ability to Persuade (Basic)
Ability to Persuade (Intermediate)
Ability to Persuade (Advanced) and so on...

Does this sound alright? The Modules can be put in the Course "Communication" as separate lessons. I am asking because in my understanding "Communication" should have been a Category...Verbal and Non Verbal should have been the Subcategories, but the instructor would like "Communication" to be a single course only. No issues with that, right?
In reply to Kashyap Kr

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
I would not like to create 18 learning plans, I would create the learning plan for each required competency. The goal of any learning plan is to achieve the highest level of competency. However, in Moodle once a competency is achieved, the progress is updated regardless of the rating. IMHO the rating needs to be tied to a numeric value for the overall progress to the learning plan.
You may be stuck with the 18 learning plans and manual "closeout" of each learning plan as the student moves to the next skill level.
One course, can be done or it can be separate courses. Administratively, one course may be easier to manage. However, you may want to consider, how often would the content be revised? Large courses and are active for an extended period of time, often get "stale." If you needed to rework just a section of the course, it will affect all students regardless of their course progress.

by Kashyap Kr -
Thank you so much. May break the same question into a few pieces?

If I create the learning plan for each required competency, should my Competency unit be Communication or Verbal Communication or the 3 submodules of Verbal Communication: Ability to Express, Ability to Explain and Ability to Persuade (Should I call them indicators/outcomes?) I was thinking my competency unit should be Verbal Communication (this can be the parent for all the Child Competencies i.e. Sub- modules) and same will be on the Learning Plan. While saying this, I could not figure out completely why the competency unit should not be Ability to express to break down the competency of Verbal Communication further? Assuming these competencies are independent of one another i.e. to be able to explain, you might not necessarily have to be good in expressions (just an hypothesis) As I have seen, in the competencies, the scale can be set as competent/not competent and in the learning plans, the scale can be set as complete/ not complete. If I want to use the functionality of "Monitoring of Learning Plans", which of these Competency Units makes more sense? And how can a numeric value be tied to the rating for the overall progress of learning plan?
In reply to Kashyap Kr

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Normally, the learning plan is labeled as the position title, Engineer I, Engineer II, etc.
Each learning plan has specific competency that each job level must have to be successfully in that position.
Normally, they build, job level III has all of the competencies from level's I and II.

You can either build you learning plans at the three distinct levels, and an employee would complete a level and they be assigned the "next" learning plan in the series. Or you could build each level to contain all of the competencies they must have for the position. The Level III would have all competencies in the Communication series.
Note, there is no automation for this, it is all manual administrative work.
The parent - child relationship in the competency framework did not work the way I had envision it. I quickly unlinked them as soon as I did a course (competency) revision and never relinked them.
I have not used the Monitoring of Learning Plans functionally, it was not at the level of Moodle I am at - and it didn't offer the functionality I required. Learning plans at a educational level are quite different and do not consider that an employee's learning plan has expiration on their achieved competencies. Hopefully, Moodle Workplace supports this in the future.
The numeric values is not support by Moodle's core competency object - this is business requirement that hopefully Moodle Workplace will support.

by Kashyap Kr -
Questions w.r.t. Cohort based Enrollment:

1) Once the Associate changes his role from Engineer to Team Leader (the Moodle Admin removes this Associate from the cohort: Engineer and adds him to the cohort: Team Leader and as a result, his learning plans and list of assigned courses get updated). Once this update happens, is the previous learning history retained? Or the new learning plans override the old ones? If we want to retain the previous learning history, how should we set it up? And will these 2 learning plans be appearing in 2 different clusters?

2) This Cohort based Enrollment is a set of mandatory enrollments tied to roles (Engineer, Senior Engineer, Team Leader etc.) defined by the Organization. However the Associate can do self-enrollment for some courses. These self-enrolled courses will also be visible as learning plans along with the courses to which he is mandatory enrolled depending on his present role. Can we set the learning plans view in a way that all the learning plans dropping from the mandatory enrollments are visible in one cluster and all the learning plans dropping from his voluntary self-enrollments are visible in another cluster? Can we segregate the two learning paths?

Thanks a lot.
In reply to Kashyap Kr

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
1. A student can have multiple learning plans. Such as a developmental plan and a skills requirement plan. Once a student has finished their learning plan, the admin can unlink and complete the plan for each student and it will be retained. Learning plans should not be deleted if you need to retain the history. However, there is no reports to provided you meaningful data on student's completed and in progress learning plans.

1. and 2.
Enrollments and learning plans are two very different things.
Enrollments allows for the access to a course. You can use cohorts as an enrollment method and you can sync a learning plan template to a cohort.
If you remove a student from a cohort's membership, you remove their enrollments. When you remove the enrollments, you no longer have course grade reports. You will still have the Grade History Reports, but you need to keep track of your date ranges to generate the reports.
The default student view is the Dashboard with their current enrollments. The Learning Plans are not the default view and end-user navigation from Learning Plan to competency to course is clunky. This is more prone to human error.