You have 30 days to take this course...

You have 30 days to take this course...

by J Guzman -
Number of replies: 7

Greetings!!

I have an issue I need guidance with.  We have 10 courses that ALL our students must take, lets say from Course 101 to Course 110.  However, some of those courses, let’s say Course 101, Course 102 and Course 103 MUST be taken in 30,90 and 90 days by the new students only.  I use cohorts to better bulk manage my students and I believe I can use a new cohort named “new students” to force them take the time limited courses.

For instance, Cohort A is synced and enrolled on all 10 courses.  I want to create Cohort B for new students only  and Cohort B will tell students that they have 30,90 and 120 days to complete the courses.  I then can move the students that finishes the courses to Cohort A so they can take the rest.

Does this make sense? or is it possible?

J.G.

My Moodle platform is 3.6.2  PHP7.2.7 MYsql 5.7.0.24 running I  Windows 2016 server and IIS10

Average of ratings: -
In reply to J Guzman

Re: You have 30 days to take this course...

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Duplicate of https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=384476#p1549696

Posting the same question in multiple forums is of no benefit. It only fragments the support you receive and makes it more difficult for other users to find the correct information in the future when they do a search. (from moodle.org site policy)

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jon,

The post on the 'General' forum is older and I consider that the question is best placed here, so that one should be removed, I've reported it.

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by J Guzman -

Post deleted. Participants are reminded to show respect and consideration to others, as mentioned in our site policy. Any flaming or personal attacks will be deleted.

(Edited by Gareth J Barnard - Post content removed, judged to be a 'Personal / flaming attack' (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moderator_guidelines#Flaming_.2F_personal_attacks) - original submission Monday, 8 April 2019, 7:13 PM)

In reply to J Guzman

by Jon Bolton -

Mm, funnily enough, that was exactly what you replied to Gareth's post in the other (now deleted by the moderators) discussion. There really is no need to be so rude. The community and forum moderators are only trying to help. The Moodle Site Policy is very clear about duplicate posts.

And, at the risk of suffering your wrath again, this appears to be very related to https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=384956 😉

In reply to Jon Bolton

by J Guzman -

I know, I just realized that I didn't paste the original reply on this new one...and since we were talking about duplicated posts...,   smile

I did not intend to duplicate post, like I said in the reply, I know the rules and abide to them because they make sense .  I just did find a more suitable forum,  but I totally forgot to remove the original.  I was going to even apologize for that, when you first pointed out the duplication, but then I saw the other guy's reply and I felt the situation was taken way too out of context and got frustrated and well...ya know the story.

But I was rude, therefore I do apologize.

PEACE 'N LOVE Y'ALL

Peace!

In reply to J Guzman

by Jon Bolton -

Anyway, getting back on track to your original question... this is quite difficult to achieve in Moodle (which is possibly why you’re not getting many replies with suggestions).

You could do a custom report using a plugin such as Configurable Reports or the Ad Hoc Reports plugin. Possibly even the Course Completion Overview plugin might tell you what you need to know, but it’s slightly out of date now.

But there is no automated process to move people between cohorts or to unenrol them from courses when they have completed them - although the unenrol on completion is a frequently requested feature.

You could possibly use some of the plugins to help you manage enrolment (https://moodle.org/plugins/enrol_attributes) and/or membership of cohorts (eg. https://moodle.org/plugins/auth_mcae), but the effort of keeping the profile fields up to date defeats the object tbh.

Another LMS has this type of workflow built in to their Programs feature but has a substantial subscription cost compared with a free licence for Moodle.

Moodle for Workplace may have something similar when it’s released, but will also cost money.

So unfortunately, I suspect you’re between a rock and hard place. I’ll keep thinking about it and come back if I have any more ideas.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)