Force user to answer a quiz question

Force user to answer a quiz question

by A Guy -
Number of replies: 6

I created a quiz activity from some multiple choice questions in my question bank. The quiz is set up have delayed feedback--the user has to answer all the questions and submit the quiz to get a grade and see what they got correct/incorrect. But how do I make a user select at least once answer before on to another question--there is one question per page. I've reviewed the default settings and don't see a way to do this. Can anyone help me out here?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to A Guy

Re: Force user to answer a quiz question

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, all one could possibly force is that a student clicks one of the choices at random before they click next. Is that really what you want?

Moodle does not really support this.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by A Guy -

Are you being facetious? I don't know you so I don't know. No I won't want to select a random question for them. I want to insist that they select an option of their choice even if they guess to move on to the next question. Sounds like this is not built-in. So I will customize it unfortunately.

In reply to A Guy

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I was trying to be serious.

You can make it so that a student cannot click Next until the student has selected an option. (Well, Moodle does not really have that option, but one could imagine it.)

Surely you have encountered forms like this yourself, when trying to get on with some task online. Some form that insists you type something in a box before you can continue. Do you give the question careful consideration, and type a well thought-out response? I certainly don't. I just type a . character or an x or something, just so I can move on.

Surely you don't expect your students to behave any differently. If they don't want to answer, and you force them to selected one of the options, they will just click one at random. Encouraging this sort of thing has always struck me as pointless.

There is already a good extrinsic incentive to for the student carefully consider the question and to try to give the right answer: if you get it right you get a mark, and if not you don't. Hopefully there is also an intrinsic incentive: the questions are interesting, and trying to answer them helps the students learn.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to A Guy

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi A Guy,

Re: restricting learners from reading/reviewing questions & answers during a test,

There's good evidence & recommended test-taking strategies that encourage learners to read all the questions in a test before answering any of them. Another is to select the most difficult questions first, i.e. attempt the questions in order of most difficult to least, & then go back & review the more difficult questions afterwards. Learners can substantially improve their performance on tests in this way.

Free navigation & putting as many questions as is reasonable/feasible on each page of a test will not only probably improve learners' performance on the current test, it'll also probably improve their future studying & test performance (See the "testing effect" or "retrieval practice" for more info).

I hope this helps.

Matt smile

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Matt Bury

by A Guy -

I hear you matt. But again most projects I've worked on do what they want or like not what is best. And sometimes we just have to accommodate them. But I appreciate that you take a learned approach to your quiz setups.

In reply to A Guy

by Helen Johnson -
A Guy, did you find a solution to this? I want to force students to complete a practice question before they can move on to the real questions, but so far I haven't found a way to do it.