How to add user to Course Completed Enrolment plug-in

How to add user to Course Completed Enrolment plug-in

by Marcel van den Oever -
Number of replies: 11

I want to use Course Completed Enrolment plug-in as follows: course one must be completed before a student can start with course two. I have installed this plug-in on my Moodle site, activated it and course completion is enabled in all courses.

On the course overview I see an icon for course two indicating that Course Completed Enrolment has been activated. However, it does not work because I cannot add users to this enrolment. 

When I click on the 'Add users' icon...

... I will see a new screen with the message 'No users found'. 

Whereas if I want to add users manually I will get a screen where I can choose between all 600+ users who are registered on the site. 

But of course then the Course Completed Enrolment doesn't work.

De-activating manual enrolment doesn't make a difference.

Why do I get the message 'No users found' if I want to register users for a course with Course Completed Enrolment set? The strange thing is that when setting up Course Completed Enrolment for course two I can choose from all courses on my site.

Am I missing something? 

Thanks for helping me!

Marcel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcel van den Oever

Re: How to add user to Course Completed Enrolment plug-in

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, I am pretty sure the idea of this plugin is that users are enrolled automatically when they have completed the first course, so there is no need to add them manually.

In reply to Emma Richardson

Hi Emma,

That's what I thought too, but as you can read in my post it doesn't happen.

I think it has something to do with the fact that there are no students added to the course completed enrolment, but if I want to add one I get a screen with the message 'No users found' (trhere are 600+ registered students), so it seems to be impossible to add a student. A Catch 22 it is...

There's  something wrong in the settings, but what???

Thanks anyway for your message!

Marcel

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Do you have students that have completed the first course?

In reply to Emma Richardson

Yes, in a testing environment of course, but there is a test user who completed the first course and was not enrolled in course two.

by Renaat Debleu -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You try to enrol users who completed Testmodule2 in the past.  Enrolling users this way is only needed when you have an old course with a lot of users completions before you installed or configured this plugin.

So when the plugin displays "No users found",  no users have completed Testmodule2 in the past. Check the course completion report of Testmodule2, and you will see that no users completed Testmodule2 yet.

The moment a user completes Testmodule2, the user will be automatically enrolled into the new course, no manual action is needed.

The plugin would not work if those 637 users would appear (as none of the 637 users did complete Testmodule2). We do not want to create a plugin that cheats with course completion, do we?
In reply to Renaat Debleu

Hi Emma and Renaat,
Thanks for your support. I understand now why one would use the option to add users. Thanks.
I totally agree that we don't want anyone to cheat.
I checked with my hosting partner if cron is running on the developing site on which I'm testing the plug-in. The answer is yes.

Then I don't understand why the plug-in is not working as you describe it.

Please, allow me to show you the steps I take in the process with screenshots and extra information.
I really hope you discover a mistake in my actions. 

I have made two brandnew test courses and one brandnew test user:
- Course 1, name: MANUAL ENROLMENT COURSE. This is a course to which the new test user is enrolled MANUALLY.
- Course 2, name: CCE ENROLLED COURSE. This is the course where Course Completed Enrolment (CCE) is added to: so course 1 has to be completed before a user is enrolled to course 2. 

CCE is on top of the enrolment options list of CCE ENROLLED COURSE... 

On the image above you see one manually enrolled user and that's me (site admin).
For me as site admin the course list shows as follows: 2 courses, the second course has the CCE-icon. Looks reasonable to me.

Now I log in as the brandnew test user.
In my course list is only ONE course: MANUAL ENROLMENT COURSE:

There is NO sign of a second course. I expected that I would see the CCE-course with a message like 'This course is available after you complete MANUAL ENROLMENT COURSE', comparable with the message that you see WITHIN a course where you have to complete a section before you can enter a new section.

Something like this:

Anyway, the test user finishes MANUAL ENROLMENT COURSE.
But there is still no sign of the second course... 

I expected at least that the second course would appear on the course list now... So how does the user know this second course exists???

And the enrolment option list still looks the same as at the start. ZERO users enrolled for the CCE course.

Conclusion: the user that finishes the first course is NOT automatically enrolled to the second course. 

What is going wrong? What am I doing wrong?

I would really appreciate if you would help me solve this mystery... Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Marcel

by Renaat Debleu -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You talk about finishing a course. What do you mean by this?

I asked you to supply the course completion report (/report/completion/index.php?course=????). I want a proof that there are students who completed the course. As long as it is not clear if users completed a course or not, I cannot help.

We are talking about enrollment on course completion, not enrollment on activity completion, or enrollment on certain grades or enrollment on finishing. Did you read the document about course completion?

In reply to Renaat Debleu

Hi Renaat, I wasn't aware that you had asked me to supply anything??? In a private message you advised me to keep it simple and that's what I did. And yes, I know the difference between completing a course and an activity.

Anyway, my hosting partner solved the problem. There was something not right in the cron settings of the testing environment. It had nothing to do with the way I put the settings of courses and activities

Thank you very much for your time and support. I am very happy that I can have my clients use the plug-in.

Best regards, Marcel

by santiago villagra -

Can you deliver the information on how you solved the cron? I have the same problem you had.

by Stefan Venter -

Good day, Marchel, please can you share what was wrong with the cron settings in order for me to ask my IT department to look into it as I have the same problem on my side.

Thank you