There's a way to send a message to students that didn't turn in an assignment. There really is... but it's terrible to use and hard to find.
For those who are looking for it, these are the steps:
- Go to course administration
- Go to reports
- Go to course participation report
- Select the right activity module
- Select the right role (student)
- Select the right action (Post)
- Sort columns on Post
- Manually tick all the boxes for students that did not post
- Select in the bottom 'with selected students 'send a message'.
These are just 9 ridiculous steps, but it works. I'm just embarrassed every time I have to explain these steps to a teacher who just wants to remind his students to turn in the assignment...
There is a very good solution for this from a user's perspective. What if... you would go to the assignment itself, select the filter 'not submitted', select all students and then be able to send them a message? Would that not be a very, very logical thing to do?
If you agree with me, please vote for this tracker: MDL-65098
On behalf of the many future Moodle teachers, I thank you for your vote!