Fordson rendering colours differently on two sites

Fordson rendering colours differently on two sites

by Leticia Dark-rose -
Number of replies: 12

Hi,

I have installed Fordson (e-learner) and entered the colours exactly the same on two sites. However on the newer one I can't seem to get the content background to the light grey. Please see attached... is there another setting i'm missing?

Leticia

Attachment fordsonbackground.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leticia Dark-rose

Re: Fordson rendering colours differently on two sites

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I would need to know the version of Moodle and Fordson for each site.  I suspect there might have been slight changes between versions.  If you have a link to the one that needs to be changed, I'd be happy to take a look.

Chris

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Leticia Dark-rose -

The site rendering blue is: 

Moodle 3.6 Fordson v3.6 release 1.3

The site rendering white (the correct one) 

Moodle 3.5 Fordson v3.5 release 3 update 16

I'm in the middle of an upgrade, and only have until this afternoon. I suspect its a version this as well.

by Leticia Dark-rose -

I rolled back to the previous version and it's fixed my problem. I am happy to investigate further with you once the upgrade(s) are complete around Friday.

by Chris Kenniburg -

On the new Moodle 3.6 one, be sure to change the Content Padding on the Preset Adjustment page.  That controls the spacing on the left and right.

by Leticia Dark-rose -

Hi Chris,

The padding changes the whole content area. In the previous version you could add a coloured background, but still have a plain/white content area. Please see pic.

I have also noticed a few other things. Can I send these to you for review?

Attachment fordsondifferences.png

by Chris Kenniburg -

I think I might have a solution.  I'm working on it and will be posting an update to the theme.  

by Chris Kenniburg -

So the elearner preset works best and is only really tested with the Layout Chooser: Centered Content / Full Screen Header Image.  That is because this preset is designed to show the background image and so having the full screen layout is what it is designed to use.  

I think, but cannot be certain by your screenshots that you are using the Boost Default Layout Chooser.  The Boost default layout is for the Boost Preset and the new Perception Preset out of the box.  Not every Style Preset is going to look great with every layout.  The main culprit is the Boost default layout.  It's designed to try and make Fordson look like Boost. 

With that said, I've discovered a few things I can change in the eLearner Preset that will make it more compatible with the changes in Boost found in Moodle 3.6.  

I'll be publishing a change soon that should help you out with your desired configuration of Fordson.

Chris

Attachment Moodle 3 6 DEV  Administration  Appearance  Themes  Fordson (5).png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Leticia Dark-rose -

Hi Chris,

That's great thanks for working on this for me. You were right I am using the Boost Default. 

I have attached a document with a couple of other things I have found when using the theme. Not sure is you are aware of these or is it is purely theme but I thought it may be of interest.

Leticia

by Leticia Dark-rose -

1.        Logo/header doesn’t resize responsively when screen is reduced using Default header image. It is responsive if a course image is attached.

No course image (full)

logo

No course image (browser reduced)

reduced header image

Course Image:

course image

with course image (browser reduced)

reduced

by Chris Kenniburg -

The image is not used how people normally think.   We use images as visual cues for learners.  The green course.  The frog course.  The photo of my classroom course.  The images are simply a way for a student to find a course when they might not know how to read.  We have preK and K-12 graders using Moodle.   It is used to cover the width and will expand and contract based on screen size to cover the intended area.  I hope that makes sense.  Photos with words are not ideal.  The header photos are purely cosmetic and used to set a color tone for the course.

by Chris Kenniburg -

I am reviewing your Word file.  I'll try to answer best I can.

• Bullets and text styling might be inherited but I cannot be certain.  I don't think we do much in the way of trying to change them.  Do you get similar results with Boost?
  • Overlapped Activity/section Navigation is part of core.  We've noticed this too.  It might have more to do with how you Title the activities.  Keep the name short and the description longer if needed.  
  • Content fills behind navigation menu is default behavior as screen size shrinks.  
  • Quiz Menu dropping down page will be fixed in next release.  I noticed an issue with the cut point for blocks.

by Leticia Dark-rose -

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking a look at my file and providing suggestions. I have sent you a copy of my presets.

Leticia