SSO & Rostering with Clever or ClassLink

SSO & Rostering with Clever or ClassLink

by Amadeusz Swiderski -
Number of replies: 16

Greetings fellow Moodlers!

Has any of you dealt with Single Sign-On and Auto Rostering solutions in Moodle such as Clever or ClassLink? I'm wondering what the process entails. I understand that you get access to APIs for these services, but how is all of this implemented on the Moodle side? I'm guessing you need an experienced developer to write a plugin for Moodle? Does anything like that already exist out there and is being maintained? Does anyone have any experience dealing with SSO, Sync & Rostering providers and Moodle or knows someone who does? I would really appreciate any pointers you can give me and clue me in on the process perhaps even work on the solution with the small company I am with. 

Thank you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amadeusz Swiderski

Re: SSO & Rostering with Clever or ClassLink

by Elton LaClare -

Hello,

I realize it's been almost a year, but I'm wondering how things went with Clever/Classlink and Moodle? Were you able to find anyone with information on how this could be implemented in Moodle? I know someone who's worked recently on an SSO integration for Moodle. I'll reach out to him and report back here if I learn anything of interest.

by Russ Ullrich -

Nothing on using Clever to log in to Moodle.  Common, someone out there must have this?

In reply to Russ Ullrich

by Gabriel Gallagher -

If anyone is still looking for a Moodle + Clever rostering solution, we're looking for ~5 schools to do a test run with. 

by Gabriel Gallagher -
If you're still looking for a solution for Moodle + Clever, we're currently looking to trial a solution with a few schools. DM me if you'd like to set that up together!

Same goes for Russ, Elton & Bolchazy if you're still looking for some help here.
In reply to Gabriel Gallagher

by Ben Girard -

Bonjour Gabriel,

I'm actively looking at integrating Moodle with Clever (RosterSync and SSO).  I tried to email you with no luck.  Should we start a new thread dedicated to this topic? I want to know if someone already figured this out and could share tips, know-how or a plugin.

Please reachout...  IT@writescore.com

In reply to Ben Girard

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Have you seen the agenda for tomorrow's developer meeting? https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Developer_meeting_December_2020
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Amadeusz Swiderski -
That's great! I'm curious how that meeting went how things are moving forward.

Tiny company I'm with has been developing some web service based scripts for rostering, we did manage to completely automate ClassLink's OneRoster and got the SSO to work. Clever SSO works as well, but for now we're rostering manually with CSV upload, and are still in the middle of trying to automate that process since we haven't bought Clever's rostering package yet. (Clever charges the vendors/devs for rostering solutions, ClassLink charges the schools/districts FYI) There are still plenty of kinks to straighten out in our process, and I'm afraid that the setup we have is quite specific to how we manage schools and districts so we haven't bothered to release the code or document it yet. Grouping teachers with students and user deletion/suspension seem to be the biggest hurdles thus far.

I'd be curious to see how other folks are going about it and maybe even compare notes at some point. I will try to keep you posted on our progress, but we're a tiny company and we're very busy with content production, and aren't able to focus completely on this kind of development at the moment.

by Ben Girard -
Is there anyone here that was able to use this OneRoster plugin and connect directly to Classlink for direct API connection?
The problem I have is that without documentation, it's not clear what the token URL is or where it's found. In the past, each time we connect to classlink we have to use a Bearer token, not a URL...  Any tips?

I wish this plugin had more documentation and the ability to import the OneRoster Zip bundle with CSVs as well.  At least, it's exciting to see progress...

In reply to Ben Girard

by Ben Girard -
As an educational software provider (not a school/district), I was finally able to get the OneRoster plugin working and connected to Classlink API.... It creates a user in Moodle for each student and teacher, also creates a Moodle course for each Classes/periods found in the OneRoster. Works fast and well so far and only processes data that has changed, thus the 2nd sync is extremely fast. smile

The issue I have at the moment, is that I can't tell if a user receives an email invite to Moodle since a new account was created. If yes, we need to find a way to stop it.

Can anyone confirm if the OneRoster plugin or Moodle sends the "Moodle invite" email to each new user?  Thanks.
In reply to Ben Girard

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I would love to hear about anyone who might have gotten this to work with Clever and how you did so.
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Ben Girard -

Call Clever... ask them to send you a OneRoster files instead via SFTP, then you will get the data via the OneRoster link. 

In reply to Ben Girard

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I thought this plugin doesn't work with files and uploads.  I thought it requires a one roster server of some sort.

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Ben Girard -

Correct.  You would need to convert these Clever OneRoster files into OneRoster endpoints. There is a company who can help you with that called EdGraph at  www.edgraph.com.  They have automatic OneRoster endpoints that will act as APIs and you can send your OneRoster zip files to them via API as well.  Tell them Ben sent you...

In reply to Ben Girard

by scott moll -

Ben,

I'm trying to do this also with no luck wondering if you could help me on how you got this working.   Maybe screenshots, etc.    I'm not exactly sure what to put in for the token url and one roster root url 

I just keep getting the following 

error/Could not upgrade oauth token

More information about this error

I assume
Moodle Plugin Authentication Client ID in classlink is the key field under the API credentials in Classlink Rostering app
Moodle Plugin Authentication Secret in classlink is the secret field under the API credentials in Classlink Rostering app

Hope you can help
Thank yuou 
Scott