Force users to move through quizes one at a time

Force users to move through quizes one at a time

by Eric Kaspar -
Number of replies: 6

I'm working in moodle 3.4 and I find myself stuck with a puzzle.

In one of the courses I'm designing, the "final" is a sequences of tests that I want to require the users to move through in order.  The problem I'm discovering is that since the quizzes have to be manually graded (multiple essay responses per quiz),  I'm stuck on a good way to restrict access that lets the students move through the sequence in an automatic fashion.

Anyone have any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Kaspar

Re: Force users to move through quizes one at a time

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you don't want to grade them before they move on, what is your condition for an individual quiz being complete?

If you are using conditional activities and activity completion there are many other options that do not require grading the activity. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Eric Kaspar -

Complete in my case would just be submitted.  Looking over my options for quiz submission, all I get are just viewing the quiz (not enough) vs. receiving a grade (too much).

Is there a plug in I'm missing that would solve this whole thing?

In reply to Eric Kaspar

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Eric,

Have you tried to set each succeeding quiz to have a restriction based on the previous quiz being marked complete with completion set to, Student must view this activity to complete it? If you also click on the eye next to the restriction, they will not be able to see the succeeding quiz until they have at lest viewed the previous one. You might also want to set the grade attempts allowed to 1 only and make sure they know that, along with setting extra restriction on attempts so that browser security is set to, Full screen pop-up with some javaScript security.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eric Kaspar

by Brendon Hatcher -

Hi

If a quiz has only essay questions, then the grade is nul, and the activity completion can't be set to "Student must receive a grade to complete this activity".

If the quiz has just one question of any other type, these are automatically graded.  When the student submits, this question has a grade, and the essay questions are pending.

In this case, "Student must receive a grade to complete this activity" works (I think).

You can then restrict the next quiz to require that the previous one was "completed".

Regards
Brendon

In reply to Eric Kaspar

by Kimber Warden -

You could make the essays separate from the quizzes but keep them part of the sequence. "Assignments" have an option of being marked as completed once they've been turned in but before they've been graded.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)