Moodle Calenda Categories

Moodle Calenda Categories

by Paul Raper -
Number of replies: 4

Dear all,

I have hunted high and low but cannot find anywhere that explains how the categories function in the Moodle calendar works. Moodle 3.6.3.

This feature would be really cool if it were possible to define categories somewhere, but what they seem to do as far as I can see is refer to course directories, which I am not sure what the purpose of this is.

Would it not be better if categories could be names of projects, or groups, or departments, for example.

In my specific situation, something like PEP deliverables and PEP Events would be really useful.

Also really awesome would be if you could colour code the categories so that they stood out on calendar itself.

I'm also not sure where a user can actually define these items.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Very best and have an awesome day,

Paul

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Raper

Re: Moodle Calenda Categories

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Paul, I don't think Moodle can do this.  Maybe others will know or will know about a plugin that might accomplish what you seek.

For example, if I want to see all "quiz" items in a course calendar, I don't think that I can.

I do notice that Moodle does provide an "Events key" that allows some filtering (see below.)  This might be the block that would need some custom coding to do what you want to do.

Attachment events key.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Paul Raper -

Rick,

I know what you mean. I was just unsure what the Category events feature was supposed to achieve. I could imagine this having great potential, but I for my part can't see how I can use it. I can find no documentation on it.

When I try to create an event under the Category level, the sorts of options I see are categories relating to where there are courses, but I really struggle to see what I can use this for.

If it were possible to create "Calendar Categories" under which you could for example set events that are not actual activities in Moodle such as: Students should submit topics for discussion, or team leaders to propose team meetings, these may be items that are not actual Moodle activities until they have been externally defined.

A further thought might be that we have different things such as:

• Deliverables
  • Events
  • Exams
  • EUT
  • etc.

Some items are clearly possible as items in Moodle, but, one idea I could imagine is setting teams that are colour coded, these would then show up on the calendar as colour coded items so each team knows which task is theirs.

In reply to Paul Raper

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

So far, Paul, in my 10 years of using Moodle I have not had the need to show calendar events by categories.  But this could be because of the way that I use Moodle.  What you might want to do is to create a feature request in Tracker for what you seek.  If you need something quickly, you might need to program this feature yourself (or hire someone.)  I am not trying to discourage you at all, but rather saying that when someone sees a need or improvement for Moodle, the best place to promote your idea is within Tracker.  Alternatively, if you are a MUA member, you can suggest your idea as a project.