I don't know why.
However, I would do this a little bit differently.
1) Install a clean copy of Moodle on your VPS that matches your shared hosting-Moodle version.
2) Add plugins to your VPS-Moodle to match your shared hosting-Moodle.
3) Delete all tables from your VPS Moodle, do a restore of your hosting-Moodle database backup to your VPS.
4) Delete the moodledata folder from your VPS, replace it with a backup of your hosting-Moodle moodledata folder.
5) Now that your new VPS has the data and moodledate contents from your old moodle, try logging into your new VPS-Moodle.
I cannot say that this is absolutely going to work for you. It is just what I would try based upon how I move my own moodles around. One needs to do things correctly for this process to work. I also don't know if this would work if your two systems have different operating systems. I am always in Linux when I do this.
I am offering ideas that might help you think through your own situation.