Enable spell-check in Atto editor

Enable spell-check in Atto editor

by Alexander Lebeth -
Number of replies: 5

At our Moodle 3.0 plattform we would like to enable spell-check in Atto editor. According to https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=371995 it seems, that spell-check should be enabled by default but at our installation it isn't working. Checked file /lib/editor/atto/yui/src/editor/js/editor.js as well as settings in browsers, spell-checking is enabled in both.

What could we do?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alexander Lebeth

Re: Enable spell-check in Atto editor

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I might be wrong, but it is my understanding that Moodle (and Atto/TinyMCE) rely on your browser's spell checker, and do not provide their own.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Alexander Lebeth -

Yes, this is what I think as well. So if spell-check is enabled in your browser, then spell-checking shoukd be enabled in Atto without further action need — but unfortunately this isn't the case, it's just not available. So I ask if someone else knows what may causing this issue.

by Rick Jerz -

wich browser are you useing?  Have you trieed from anothur computter?

I double checked this on my own Moodle, and spell check is working.

Safari spell check is working in Moodle.org, and I am using ATTO.

Attachment safari.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Alexander Lebeth -

Thank you very much! I tried on multiple computers, but always with Firefox. Due to your post I tried with Safari and it worked, so I knew, the reason is to find in Firefox.

So the problem was, that I implied that the firefox language package is including the dictionary, but that's not true: https://support.mozilla.org/de/questions/1161567

After installing the dictionary, spell-checking worked.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Rick Jerz -

Great!  You fixed it!  And you made me feel good by helping someone here on Moodle.org.  smile 

Now, know more mispelings, write?