What can I do with Moodle?

What can I do with Moodle?

by Paul Anderson -
Number of replies: 1

Hi. I'm trying to figure out what I can actually achieve with moodle for our organisation. 

We currently use the platform to deliver content and record assessments for our learners for our distance based and blended learning courses. A student can begin a course at any time and there is no real set duration for completion. Tutors can view student submissions and mark/provide relevant feedback. This is all fine.

We have a separate crm system to manage all the administration of our students such as bookings, payments, certifications, existing qualifications, etc, etc. 

Is Moodle the right platform to handle the admin as mentioned in the previous sentence or is Moodle "just" there to deliver the learning? I have to put a business case forward on the best way to proceed. Stay as we are or integrate everything into Moodle if possible.

I've also briefly read about the upcoming release of Moodle Workplace. Will this help?

Any advice or opinions would be welcome. 

Many thanks, 

Paul 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Anderson

Re: What can I do with Moodle?

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

What can't you do with Moodle?

There is an Attendance plug-in that can track classroom attendance, there is a Face-to-Face plugin that allows people to sign up and teachers to take attendance. I use F2F.  It has some quirks but generally works well.  There are several options for course payment stuff (I don't do that). Custom Certificate can be issued when specific tasks are complete and it saves a copy if you want one.  Cohorts could be used to assign people to a group of courses for specific qualifications.  You could probably issue a certificate from a hidden spot in the site main page when specific courses are complete (I've never tried it but I bet you could figure it out...)

There is Configurable reports or Adhoc reports where you could create reports that pull a student's full course record or compile data.

When people ask me "Can Moodle do..." My response is "Of course. It might not do it the way you envision it, but it can do just about anything."  A better question is "What can't Moodle do?" I don't have an answer for that one.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)