Development on Notes component

Development on Notes component

by Leo Auri -
Number of replies: 3
I'm contracted to deliver a pretty stripped-down moodle which, amongst other things, has some specific requirements as far as the notes component goes.  
It looks like the code for this component hasn't received much attention in the last few years.  It hasn't been converted to use renderers, for example.  I've started tidying up the code (in an effort to follow the logic) and I'm considering making this conversion to renderers, so I can override them in the theme.  I'd submit the changes, if everything works out.  

1. Any advice, opinions, about all this?
  2. Which component is currently in most future-friendly state, or which component would make a good reference for how to structure code and tests in moodle development?

Cheers
Leo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leo Auri

Re: Development on Notes component

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Leo

I assume you are referring to this plugin 

https://moodle.org/plugins/block_mynotes

Of which I know absolutely nothing. However the UK Open University are good people to follow to see some of the most recent thinking on Moodle dev standards. Also why not put your code up on Github and then you might get feedback on what you are doing. You can also follow development trends on the Telegram discussion forum, but read the pinned message on policy before asking questions..

In reply to Marcus Green

Re: Development on Notes component

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I assume you were talking about Moodle's built-in Notes (link) facility? I'm not a developer so can't help more, sorry.